Muskrat lakers?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fenderbender
Participant
Participant

Muskrat lakers?

Post by fenderbender »

Any tips on getting lakers out of muskrat lake? I tried right after ice-out a couple of times last year and never got a one. I was long-lining spoons and cranks. Any tried and true lures or techniques to share? I've never caught a laker, other than in Lake Ontario on downriggers many years ago.
Popeye
Participant
Participant

Post by Popeye »

Just saw your post and although you asked a while ago, I will answer anyway.

i have been fishing Muskrat for over 25 years, and have caught many trophies.

I usually get lakers in Muskrat, average of one and seldom two in a mornings fish. I usually go with Downrigger and fish from ice off to beginning of may in about 30-40 feet of water in and out of bays. Most of my luck has been on the East side of lake, and just south of the snake river.

My lure of chioce have always been Sutton spoons, and I use 12 pound mono line. Has worked for me.

After may long weekend, lakers have gone deep, and usually around 70 feet, much deeper in summer and very rarely caught.

Average weight 5-6 pounds. bellies filled with rainbow smelt, so try to find the smelt and the lakers follow.

Wish you luck!
kunobasski
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lakers

Post by kunobasski »

May I suggest looking no deeper then 15 foot of water?

As soon as the ice is off (and only for about a week or 2 after, depending on water temp) many of the lake trout will move up onto the shallow sand edges and rock bluffs. Many times you can see them swimming ahead of the boat, and when spotted, simply throw a tube or grub a few feet ahead of them and watch them eat it.

When none are spotted, grab an x-rap or some sort of slash bait and make long casts, use a standard varied jerk bait retrieve. Don't be scared to whip a 5" jerk shad or swim bait out there as well, they love them.

It's not uncommon to catch 9 or ten, and see many more. Most are 5 or six pounds, but trout up to 15 pounds is possible.

Good luck!

Trevor K
Popeye
Participant
Participant

Post by Popeye »

Kunobasski,

Hey great tips!.
Are you refering to no deeper than 15 feet of water on Muskrat for this time of year? I will try it.

Also I usaully fish around Lloyds bay, or Gull island rock, where do you fish? East side or west side? North or south of the snake river??

I will let you know how I do, as I am heading that way on Thursday. Cheers
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Seabass81 »

Thats the nicest I have heard " Gull Island rock" reffered as !
kunobasski
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by kunobasski »

Hey Popeye,

Yeah, stay in about 15' or less. basically, stay along the shore line.
Start around gull island, and better yet behind it along the shore line where the sand is. don't stay in an area to long. Just put down the electric motor and sneak along. Do the whole shore line on the rock bluff side. Its a blast.

Trout have been caught in about 4' of water mid day during ice out. But this only applies during the first few days of ice out. As soon as the water temp starts to rise, "poof" they disappear back to the depths. Then its back to vertical jigging and trolling.

Good luck.

let us know how you do?

kuno
Popeye
Participant
Participant

Post by Popeye »

Thanks again for the tips , can't wait to try it out. I will keep you posted...cheers
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

What, no reports from anyone??? I am heading up there in the morning for a little fish and to finally get the boat wet.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

I was hoping to hear some good news as well MuskieWanna.....

Best of luck to you and enjoy floating your new ride man!

Cheers!~
fenderbender
Participant
Participant

Post by fenderbender »

Finally managed to pick up 2 lakers last weekend. Blue/silver Little Cleo in 10-15 fow. Got one 6 lb in the late morning loooong lining with the electric across a rocky point and one in mid-afternoon about 7 lb casting along the top edge of a drop off.

Thanks for all the tips guys.
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

I was out there yesturday. Rough, windy & chilled. No lakers at all, only a pike. Hard to keep boat control because of the wind.
Popeye
Participant
Participant

Post by Popeye »

Well I just got back from Muskrat. Got two lakers, one 28 inches and the other 23 inches! They were caught between Noon and 12:30 hrs today (April 12th) Will try to figure out how to post the pics....

One was caught on a small blue shiny rapala and the other on a hammered, silver and blue Little Cleo spoon.

Both were caught in about 22 feet of water, and fish were marking between 9 and 17 feet.

Day was cool and windy with white caps but well worth the struggle. Oh by the way, they were caught on 6lbs test mono line on a ultra light rod...what a great fight!

Thanks for the tips guys...it worked!

Cheers
Popeye
Participant
Participant

Post by Popeye »

Ok finally figured out how to post my pics from last Monday's fish on Muskrat...check them out on Trout & salmon section of the gallery pics....cheers amigos
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Popeye wrote:Ok finally figured out how to post my pics from last Monday's fish on Muskrat...check them out on Trout & salmon section of the gallery pics....cheers amigos
Very nice lake trout Popeye :)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

MuskieWannabe wrote:What, no reports from anyone??? I am heading up there in the morning for a little fish and to finally get the boat wet.
How'd ya fair out MW?....any old greybeards?

RJ