Out of Season Fishing is alive and well

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Is out of season fishing ok?

Yes
7%
No
93%

Total votes: 71

Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Out of Season Fishing is alive and well

Post by Terry_F »

I'm not one to get on my soapbox, but this has made me really mad. :evil:

It seems that the B1 Tournament advertised on this site has secured an agreement to allow pre-fishing before the season is open.

Is this not one of the core values of most of the guys on this site?
The season is the season, right or wrong it is the law and we comply with it.
The reasoning is sound, fisheries protection is the goal, we support it.

I find that I'm going to miss some key opening dates this year due to work commitments, so maybe I can get a special arrangement to fish a few days early too.

This is a slippery slope and in my opinion members of F-H should not be supporting this.
99 Princecraft 176
98 115 Johnson Ficht
VHF Call terry f 316014005
NPAA 537
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

we'll see how the admin deals with it.

i see how they deal with other issues that they dont agree with - lock it down.

i guess how fishhawk deals with this announcement will show how they 'truely' feel about out of season fishing....
SteelHeaderOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteelHeaderOntario »

Ireally don't think it should be locked down
I believe this is an oppertunity to voice on something alot agree on
if we cant voice no one will be heard
Muskie4L
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskie4L »

steve-hamilton wrote:we'll see how the admin deals with it.

i see how they deal with other issues that they dont agree with - lock it down.

i guess how fishhawk deals with this announcement will show how they 'truely' feel about out of season fishing....
Thanks for the vote of confidence Steve, we only try to help out here and sorry to say we can't please all :cry: I like to think the time and effort that we volunteer here at least helps a bit.

But anyway if Berkley struck a deal with the Minister of Natural Resources of Quebec, that should be taken up with them. A special agreement must mean it's not out of season fishing?
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

give an inch take a mile!! From my experience, Tourney fishermen/ women on any given day can outfish probably 98% of the fisherpeople population. I'm not a pro I never pre-fish any place i go before i decide to go there, and i very rarely get skunked . I've fished with an up and coming pro in my youth and he would go over water that i fished and would get fish where i could not. So this prefishing stuff I don't feel is necessary. They have the savey to find the fish.

Having said that I don't have to dish out big bucks for fees or boats or travel and hotel/motel ..... They also have sponsors that help with the expenses and I guess that they do have to perform if they display their sponsors' wares.. Pre fishing is their Insurance I guess.
Life goes on
RIVERKILLER
Participant
Participant

Post by RIVERKILLER »

first of all I think the mods do a thankless job trying to keep all of us in check.But really guys what is the big deal ? They pay big money to fish and if the MNR says it is ok then what is the issue.I am more worried about them letting people in Quebec drink in their boats...... not to mention 5 tip ups for ice-fishing ????? :shock: :shock: and it is not the tournament guys you have to worry about it is Johnny weekend who SAYS he is fishing for pike when in reality he is fishing for largemouth before the opener!!
marc Thorpe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by marc Thorpe »

fisheries and resources are managed for JOHNY WEEKEND not competitive anglers,nor guides,nor charters nor outfitters and lodges

They should not have any special privileged,in any regards the matter is being looked into as we speak

Most guys fishing bass and saying they are fishing for pike are not Johny weekenders they are deliberate bass anglers which fish the species through the year.

Just like the guys that use 2 rods,they know they are breaking the law

Ignorance of the law is breaking the law

season are in place to protect the species,no special privileges should be gained
Generally all pre season is done under scientific control with a study in mind

Most studies on spawning for game fish have been done that is why we have closed season

Ignorance is bliss
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Yet another thread about law breaking, claiming the law is the law.

And there isn't one us that does not breaks laws, we just pick different ones that are ok to break.

But it is unfortuate that the governing bodies didn't come and seek your approval before making a one time exception.

Maybe its time to ban bass tournaments? (just sticking to a recent theme)
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

But wasn't it okay to open up bass there, 2nd Sat in June last year????
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

They should not have any special privileged,in any regards the matter is being looked into as we speak
Have you read anywhere yet that it's only the tourney guys able to fish early? Or are you assuming that? Curious is all.
Most guys fishing bass and saying they are fishing for pike are not Johny weekenders they are deliberate bass anglers which fish the species through the year.
Seriously? I know a LOT of harcore bass guys, tourney guys and not tourney guys. Not ONE of them would be caught dead fishing bass before the season opened for fear of getting a bad rep. You're a hardcore muskie guy right? Would you go out and fish for 'Pike' before the muskie season started..... hoping to hook into a lunge. I don't think so. But you assume the bass guys do? Come on......

I don't know why everyone keeps calling it poaching.... fishing out of season.... etc. etc. So far I haven't seen ANY details on what is really going on and people are assuming everything and going nuts. If they (QMNR) allow guys to fish before the 19th in any way, shape, or form, then they are not breaking any laws.......

If they raised the speed limit on the 401 to 110 for a day..... and you drove 110 are you then breaking the law?
Last edited by bradford2 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

So Brad....is it safe to assume that you are the 1 vote in the yes column?

:lol: :P :lol:
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

slop wrote:So Brad....is it safe to assume that you are the 1 vote in the yes column?

:lol: :P :lol:
I didn't vote :lol:

It's NOT ok to fish out of season. The real question is, is that what this situation is or not?
marc Thorpe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by marc Thorpe »

[/quote]The Berkley B1 is proud to announce that the official pre-tournament practice period has been extended. The new pre-tournament practice period is from Monday, June 15th to Friday, June 19th, 2009, allowing for 5 complete days of practice. The tournament waters will be off-limits from Monday, June 8th to Sunday, June 14th inclusively.

The Berkley B1, in collaboration with the Minister of Natural Resources of Quebec, has secured this special agreement, allowing anglers the necessary time to properly pre-fish and prepare for this highly anticipated competition.

Please refer to the updated B1 Angler Package ver. 1.1.2 for complete details.

[quote]

Well if you interpret the press release,i'd say somehow they have acquired to pre fish before the season as of June 15th

I explained the calender year in the B1 post,I would gather that Quebec is possibly harmonizing the some openers
marc Thorpe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by marc Thorpe »

[/quote]The Berkley B1 is proud to announce that the official pre-tournament practice period has been extended. The new pre-tournament practice period is from Monday, June 15th to Friday, June 19th, 2009, allowing for 5 complete days of practice. The tournament waters will be off-limits from Monday, June 8th to Sunday, June 14th inclusively.

The Berkley B1, in collaboration with the Minister of Natural Resources of Quebec, has secured this special agreement, allowing anglers the necessary time to properly pre-fish and prepare for this highly anticipated competition.

Please refer to the updated B1 Angler Package ver. 1.1.2 for complete details.

[quote]

Well if you interpret the press release,I'd say somehow they have acquired to pre fish before the season as of June 15th

I explained the calender year in the B1 post,I would gather that Quebec is possibly harmonizing the some of the openers

as far as my comment on Johnny weekend,thats was a reply to riverkiller in regards to someone labeling johnny weekenders as the main culprits for fishing bass out of season.
Which is not entirely true
Last edited by marc Thorpe on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RIVERKILLER
Participant
Participant

Post by RIVERKILLER »

marc Thorpe wrote:fisheries and resources are managed for JOHNY WEEKEND not competitive anglers,nor guides,nor charters nor outfitters and lodges

they are fishing for pike are not Johny weekenders they are deliberate bass an
Most guys fishing bass and saying glers which fish the species through the year.

Just like the guys that use 2 rods,they know they are breaking the law

Ignorance of the law is breaking the law

season are in place to protect the species,no special privileges should be gained
Generally all pre season is done under scientific control with a study in mind

Most studies on spawning for game fish have been done that is why we have closed season

Ignorance is bliss
you said it ignorance is bliss...and if you think any guy who fishes tournaments would fish out of season you are crazy because they have everything to lose....$80,000 bass boat,thousands of dollars worth of tackle and their REPUTATION not to mention a lifetime ban from tournaments.How many out of season bass pictures do you see posted here by bass pros ?? And the weekend fisherman (quite a few) end of discussion :twisted:
Last edited by RIVERKILLER on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.