algonquin park opener

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
pchilli1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

algonquin park opener

Post by pchilli1 »

Morning,

Anyone going to the park for opener this year? I’m heading up opening weekend for the first time. Not going too far – only into Shirley and Ryan lakes. Anyone ever fished these lakes? Should be a blast (hopefully the ice is off the lakes!).

P.
wiggler
Participant
Participant

Post by wiggler »

When you say "the opener" what time of year is that? I always figured you could ice fish in the area.
ImageImage
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

mmm... yea

Post by D-mo »

Starts the last Saturday in April, which will be darn close to ice out if you ask me ...
Yep .. me and a buddy are headed up on May 1st weekend, do it every year, much to enjoy... even the howling of the wolves.

d-mo
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

I will be in the park May 6 - 12th this year. We had fantastic luck for brookies in the fall just before the season closed. Hopefully we can duplicate that.

I have never been to the lakes you mention. You may be able to find some information if you search through the trip logs at this site:

http://www.algonquinadventures.com/

Good luck!
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Algonquin

Post by Joey Rat »

We are looking at running up Opeongo some time in May. Probably not the opener since Walleye opens May 2nd on the BOQ and we'll probably join the fools in the Kiwanis tourney. Also not May 24 because of the canoe traffic and my wife expects me to open the pool that weekend.

I guess that leaves the weekend of the 8th or 22nd.
pchilli1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

may

Post by pchilli1 »

Looking at my calander we'll be up there the morning of May 1st, not the opening weekend I guess (thought it openend April 30th).

Any idea what time the office opens up to get your park pass, etc?
rayyronn
Participant
Participant

Post by rayyronn »

If you dont want to go too far try Billy Lake which is on the same access road. You can drive right to the lake. Its stocked with good numbers of splake. If you do a little research you will find that Ryan has been gill netted in the past. I dont think the numbers are there.
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

You will have to call the park office at your access point. Make sure you call them directly and do not rely on The Algonquin Park Information office. The last time I was in the park I was told the access office closed late (9-10:00pm can't remember when). We got there at about 8:00pm and they were closed. Luckily, the guys running the office live in an attached house. They were kind enough to open up for us and provide us with our access permit. They said the Information Office gets their hours incorrect a lot of the time.
pchilli1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

strange

Post by pchilli1 »

rayyronn...that would be a shame if our tax dollars were being gill netted.

I'll ask the folks at Algonquin what the scoop is with that. You'd think it would be against park rules/regulations regardless of status. In either event, should be a fun trip (I'm sure I'll get snowed on with my luck).
Treble hook
Participant
Participant

Post by Treble hook »

I will be in the park May 1st also. I believe we are hitting Pen lake. My first time there as we usually hit brent lake instead. Anybody know this lake at all ?
Buckshot
Participant
Participant

Post by Buckshot »

Shirley has good lake trout action at times, for me it has been a hot or cold lake trout fishing in the past, i have done the short trip into Ryan several years ago when the lake was stocked with splake, i can only asume that it is stocked with splake still. The lakes in the park are closed to ice fishing in the park through the winter other than the angling tha takes place by the native population in the area.
rayyronn
Participant
Participant

Post by rayyronn »

Been there 4 times in the past 2 years. What would you like to know?
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

here's a link to a map of algonquin park.

it's a pdf version of the map.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~crpalmer/algonquin/alg2.pdf
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

[quote="Buckshot"}The lakes in the park are closed to ice fishing in the park through the winter other than the angling that takes place by the native population in the area.[/quote]

There's still fish left??

:shock:
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Ryan was always a VERY productive lake, and heavily fished. Thus the large number of camp sites on such a small lake. We also found a lot of Ya-hoos there. Drunken fools and loud music. Take your ear plugs. Therefore haven't been back in 8 years.

We used to catch rainbows, splake and speckles. Even if it has been netted, it's heavily stocked.

Phone the Rangers to find out what's in it now. The general Park info is lacking in details.

Never fished Shirley much, but have seen others do it.

Good luck.

Maple