Spin Reel Reccomendations; $100 to $200 range

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Spin Reel Reccomendations; $100 to $200 range

Post by cprince »

I want as many bearings as possible.
I want as a high of a spins per per crank ratio.
I want it to be Med to heavy action.

Looking for the least twist and rear drag system. I am not married to any one brand.. although I have been using Shimano and quantum all my life. Some Phlugers look good and there is a Penn I am seriously looking at.

I am coming from a $50 Shimano that I have used for the past 3 years and I want to spoil myself!

Any and all suggestions invited.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

It's not as much the number of bearings as the quality of the bearings that are in it. I found that the Fluegger I have was really good when I first got it , but it sure feels like the bearings are a bit on the sloppy side now.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

Glad you said Quantum and Shimano because that's all I use. I am a BIG fan of my Quantum Energy spinning reels.....very smooth and they look cool too. I also have a few Quantum Accurist and they are definately close to the Energy and will leave you with a few more $$ in your pocket.

I recently sold a couple Shimano Saros and Symetre I had.....they are are awesome reels too but the Saros is definately worth the price difference. No complaints from me on those, but I decided to go all Quantum....except for this one Shimano Stella I won't get rid of.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Shimano stradic 2500 FI (or what ever last years model was) is an excellent reel, I also have a 3000 symetre great for pike. The stradic can be had for about $130 on ebay and the symetre should be around $75 to $85 all should be new in box!
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

I would suggest you check out the new 09 model Shimano Symetre. It is a very nice reel loaded with great features and is in the $100-$120 range. You also couldn't go wrong with a Quantum Catalyst. I had a couple that were OK but I have since changed all my reels to Shimano's. If you look around you should be able to find one of those in that same price range. If you get a chance take a drive to Paddletales and have a chat with Ed. He will make sure you know exactly what you are getting and why and he will also make sure you ge spooled up with the proper line for what you are doing. Good luck looking and enjoy your purchase no matter what it may be!!
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Another vote for the Shimano Symetre, a great reel for the price.

-sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

S H I M A N O ........... 8) 8)

:D :D :D
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

I also would vote for Shimano Stradic as they have recently been updated - one of my fishing buddies has one, and I think they are now as good as my older Sustains, and I paid a lot more money. Just get the right size for the intended use.
West Lake Willows
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by West Lake Willows »

Not to rock the boat because Shimano makes a great product, but to present a few options.

You mentioned you like a rear drag? why?

I have been using an Okuma V-System spinning reel (approx. $200). Its a phenomenal reel 5.0:1 ratio. Alumina is also good about $100 5.0:1 ratio.

Two options with rear bait feeder drags.
Okuma Epixor-EB bait feeder 5.0:1 Approx $100
Okuma Salina bait feeder 5.0:1 approx $170

I have two Pflueger Presidents (retail $77) 5.2:1 ratio bang for your buck these are hard to beat. I'm very happy with them.
Next Pflueger up Supreme 5.2:1 ratio (retail $120)

Scott
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Spinning reels

Post by Joey Rat »

I have a Quantum Catalyst and a Shimano Stradic FI. On the FI I went to the 3500 series to get the paddle handle. Love the feel of it, can throw a mile. Its married up with a 7' medium power Loomis GL 2.

The Catalyst with the magnetic titanium bail is a dream, It is matched up to a medium light catalyst rod and spooled with 6lb fluro. It's my go to walleye jigging rig.

You want to spend less look at the Shimano Sedona's in teh $50-$60 range. I love the version with the rear fighting drag. It's spooled with 30lb braid and matched with a medium heavy compre rod. I caught a 46" musky on a swim jig with that rig. Reel handled the big fish no problem.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Every company makes great products but I love my OKUMA V-System reals.
$190

Okuma Inspira has a multi system water proof drag system and is an all aluminum frame
$130

Okuma Alumina is a very light real with all aluminum frame and multi disc drag
$90

Okuma Epixor is an all aluminum frame with a smooth drag and is a great value at $70

The V-Sytem has a 5yr warranty and I have 6 of them and couldn't be happier. It is the best drag system I have ever tried.

Cheers
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Amazing replies guys! Greatly appreciated!!

@walleyeboss - good point about the bearings. What makes quality bearings? Aluminum? Ceramic? Stainless?

@jwhite- At work we have a philosophy; what ever works! I am not married to any particular brand either... limits your self a little too much. Some companies innovate to the point of surpassing their competition in the blink of an eye.

@riverdog + Erie-Eyes- E-bay is not an option for me... I want to go local. I want a local responsibility if there is a problem with a couple of hundred dollar reel! Stradic is on the upper limit of what I am willing to spend. I *may* go a hair over $200.... but it really has to be head and shoulders above the rest! Is the Stradic THAT much better than the Symetere or Saros? Or, in the Quantum camp; that much better than the Energy PT or Catalyst PT?

@fishmaster + eye-tracker + Bass Addict - the Symetre is one that is in the lead for me at this point... I love the crank ratio...

@West Lake Willows + JP -
I like the rear drag because that is all I have ever used. If I had a front drag if would likely pee pee me off! I know NOTHING about Okuma equipment. Don't know if that would be an option for me just because I don't know any retailers that carry that line.

@Joey Rat - The Sedona is my go-to at this point. But it is a few years old and has had a lot of mileage. The bearings are getting sloppy and it is a little too loud... want to get something as a treat to me... the Catalyst sounds interesting... Catalyst PT (in the lebaron catalog) in pegged at $153 with the high capacity spool... hmmm...

Thanks for all the replies to this point. I will continue to check this thread up to the purchase date! My mind likely wont be made up until the reel is in my hand!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Cprince, try a front drag and you won't regret it. I always had rear drags until I tried a front drag. You get used to it pretty fast. I will not buy another rear drag.

As for the bearings I prefer stainless. But what I meant about quality of the bearings was. A good 8 bearings reel is better than a cheap 12 bearings reel.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

symmetre rear drag w/ fighting drag is simply one of the best reels on the planet.

the fighting drag is, in itself, one of the best features on shimano rear drag reels....too bad they dont know how to, or dont care to, market it.

you'll see a number of salmon anglers using the Fighting Drag to tame Pier Salmon or even off their riggers.