Bass anglers what are you spooling with this year and why?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bobby Shimano
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bobby Shimano »

Bass Pro XPS flurocarbon
Bass Pro Excel Monofilament
Power Pro Braid

All in various strengths for all different situations. I will have a pile of baitcaster's spooled differently and all spinning rods with backup spools spooled differently for quick changes.

I have a small sponsorship with Bass Pro, 25% VIP discount card.
Power Pro have always used and have no reason to change.

Bob
Pike Puncher
Participant
Participant

Post by Pike Puncher »

50lb Sonic Braid for froggin, and one flippin rig
25lb Floro for the second flippin rig
15lb P-line Fluroclear for Spinnerbaits
12lb " " for cranks
12lb XT for topwater
14lb Sonic Braid for jerkbaits
14lb Sonic Braid with a 8lb P-Line Fluoroclear leader for finess stuff.

I'm backing up all my reels with cheap stuff this year, and my money is going a lot further. I never bothered before, but it makes a difference if you have 15 rods to spool up.
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

I must be a serious newbie. I only have one rod from Canadian Tire and one reel with 8 pound line on it !

That must be why I never catch much...the lack of experience or knowledge has nothing to do with it...lol

Gerry
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

Gerry i'll take u out and let u feel the difference between the super braids and ur CTC Spooled rod... trust me fishing will never be the same...
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: The world of fishing lines......

Post by gorfman007 »

painter wrote:Hey Gorf;

I would think some of the guys posting here are tournament fishermen, but that's no reason to limit yourself to just mono. With just a bit of research (print, internet, or FH ) I am POSITIVE you could convince yourself to widen your repetoire of lines you use in your daily fishing activities.

Even if you are an "open water" fisherman trolling here and there you could certainly benefit from the use of some copolymer and or flourocarbon type lines.

If you are flipping in the "rough stuff" your fishing would improve IMMENSELY from the use of braided lines.

You try.........you like.

T
I do fish slop and I will "give it a shot and see"
Life goes on
bassman3840
Participant
Participant

spooling baitcast& spinning reel

Post by bassman3840 »

Power pro is the way to go
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

I use various P-Lines for everything I do. I use braid for flippin and on a few spinning rods with a floroclear leader. I have Evolution on my drop shot rods and on a few other spinning rods and if water clarity isn't a concern or I am fishing in some cover I use the CXX. I have tried some of the other lines on the market but so far P-Line is what I have found to meet my needs with there great selection. The only thing I have found close to it is the Suffix selection of lines but it is a little harder to find around here so I stick with the P-Line.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

8lb P-Line floro gold for river smallies
8lb -10lb mono only P-Line for topwater smallies on river, Floro makes topwaters sink a bit
30lb red/green p-pro braid for Largies in the rough with some floro/mono leaders for different situations. Spare spools always ready and rigged for smallies, lots of extra rods and reels for largies!
Last edited by riverdog on Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Nice to see ya back 444 :wink:

Casting:
For rats I used 50lb PowerPro tied direct. I have discovered you do have to pay attention to your knots.

For pitchin' I use 50lb PowerPro with 10 or 14lb flouro leaders.

Spinnerbait, crankbait, topwater & jig rods all have 30lb PowerPro with 10 or 14lb flouro leaders

Spinning:
Dropshot 8lb flouro

Tube rod 8lb flouro on spool A. Spool B has 30lb PowerPro with 10 or 14 lb flouro leaders for trying to figure out how this "skipping" thing works :oops:

DropShot'r
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

Frogging = 50lb Power Pro
Flipping = 20lb Trilene Fluorocarbon
Spinning = 10lb Braid sometimes with Fluorocarbon leader. I usually use Fireline but I have started experimenting with STREN and FINS.

I still believe Fluorocarbon gives you an edge in clear water so it is a confidence thing with me. I do like the sensitivity of braid though so I may experiment with it on my flipping combos.

I tried Fireline Crystal last year but I didn't like the knot strength when tying a fluorocarbon leader.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

"IF" you can find FINS PRT braid, and that is an "if", it is an excellent braid, which i put above the powerpro....but i do believe they dont make it any longer....
Shepherd
Participant
Participant

Braided Lines

Post by Shepherd »

I have faithfully used Power Pro on 8 out of 10 rods up until last year when I switched to McKoy Braid. It is very limber and easy to tie (uni-uni) and performed very well all year. Not one single break off. I also use flourocarbon leader material. Mostly use 20 & 30# for most applications with 15 or 20# flouro leader. I also have 10# McKoy Braid on steelhead rod and it has performed well even at -5C.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

I've come full circle and used Mono for all my applications last season....will do so again this year.

For Bass, I'm mostly a smallie guy so lighter lines - 8 & 10 lb test, really like the Silver Thread Excaliber.

When I did target largies out of the slop I used 14 lb Excaliber with no issues.