namin the fish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

namin the fish

Post by Jigs »

:shock:

WALLEYE = P I C K E R E L

.................EL EL EL

PICKER..........EL EL EL..............= WALLEYE

AL IS A GUYS NAME::::............SHEESH..............EL EL EL EL EL EL.

:roll: JIGS.

HEY, YOU CAN P I C K E R..............AL!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON!!....................................P I C K E R E L
old guy
Participant
Participant

Post by old guy »

A rose by any other name still smells as sweet. A walleye with an al or an el still tastes as great.
Perhaps a spell check is all that is required. Sure glad I didn't teach the kids english.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

My opinion...

Post by Cancatchbass »

I think a walleye is a walleye.

And a pickeral is a pickeral.

Different species altogether.

I'm not sure why in some areas walleye are referred to as pickeral. :?:

Isn't it about as strange a situation as would occur if the anglers in Nova Scotia referred to smallmouth bass as crappie? :roll:

Maybe we should start a movement to help get everyone to refer to walleye as walleye?

CCB
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

I believe a walleye and pickeral are the same fish. Walleye is a american term and Pickeral is a Canadian term. A chain pickeral on the other hand is a totally different fish. My .02 cents!!!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Wow, can you ever tell it's a slow posting period, or what?! :lol:

I grew up catching (chain) pickeral in NJ. Kind of a "mini pike", getting me ready for the bigger stuff in later years. I was puzzled to hear some call walleye "pickeral". Think this is a north of the border term for walleye (?) I agree with CCB: 2 different species, technically, if you ask me.

But: who really cares what they're called, as long as they are on your line? :lol:

(Reminds me of the "Jackelope"...does anyone know what I'm talking about.....!?........I'm punchy these days with all the bad luck flying about.) It's like dodging bullets here, there's so much whizzing around.) Anyway, a "pickerwall" or "wallpick" or whatever(!) would make an amusing illustration. :wink:

W.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Jackelope, jack rabbit by chance? Had a buddy many years ago fishing in a boat fairly close to me, hooks into a large fish and after a good fight holds it up and proclaims "big walleye" he still gets questions about tackle and techniques for wallbass!
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

No mater what you call em they're still bait. :twisted:
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

I had never heard the name 'Walleye' until I talked to american anglers from Michigan. In North-Eastern ontario everyone calls it a pickerel or "yellow pickerel". However, I think that Walleye is becoming a more popular term. Attribute it to local dialect I guess - just look at those folks out in North Western Ontario - they catch 'jackfish' or 'jack' not pike.

Fox.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

namin the fish

Post by Jigs »

:)

Ya, yer all rite. It wuz aragunt of me to call on the spellin, an Ime sorree.

Pickeral, pickerel, walleye, hoo cares, jist as long as we ketchum.

Two much rane, caben fevere, not enuf bote tyme. :cry:

The pike seem to be bitin tho.

Taker eesy.

Regards: Jigs :wink:
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Ah, the wiley jackelope!

Post by Cancatchbass »

Jackelope are not native to Canada, or even North America. In fact the jackelope is a direct result of man tinkering with nature! I want to set the record straight on that point.

This bizarre cross between a jackrabbit and antelope originated in the U.S. midwest in the 80's, I believe.

But, according to some, they have actually been known to breed in the wild as far back as the 18th century. And there is a record of Jacques Cartier encountering one (albeit after a long night of drinking) in the Montreal area approximately 500 years ago. :shock: There is, however, no credible evidence to support his claim.

CCB- sorry- couldn't resist...
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Jigs,

U is tu funnee. U krak me upp. :lol: (Again, you can tell we aren't getting enough fishing time, hmm?)

CCB,

Lump the Jackelope in there with Bigfoot & Nessie! If I spied the first, I might faint from fright; the second, I might cast for. But a Jackelope? Would probably cause a laugh attack to the point of incontinence.

And CCB...is there ANY subject for which you are not educated?! :lol: Oh, yes, the gator pike. I had forgotten! :wink: Happy weekend!

W.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

More info...

Post by Cancatchbass »

For those who want to learn more about the jackelope (or jackalope)- here is a good site:

http://www.sudftw.com/jackcon.htm

Lots of good info. and documented sightings of jackalope in the wild.

Please note, though- there is no evidence that this species is native to Ontario. :lol:

CCB
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

CCB, that site is quite "informative"! :lol:

The best part was the jackelope in classic art. (My, this enigmatic creature was even present at the Last Supper!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the laughs...

Perhaps I'll head out by the light of the moon over Wolfe Lake's wooded shores in pursuit of a jackelope sighting. Hey, ya never know! :wink:

W.