Looking for some recommendations/experiences

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Buckshot,
I was just cautioning people to keep an eye on any hub. Oil Bath or Grease you have to check them and do regular maintenance.

-sheldon
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Thanks again to everyone so much. I'm learning a lot from your responses. I'm going to look for boats that match my "needs" and then assess price. Not to say I'm going over my 10k limit, but if that is what it takes to get into the series of boat I "need" (haha) then i'll re-assess at that time.

I've seen a few 2008 hold-overs and they almost double my budget, of course buying new will be expensive, I'm not sure I'm ready for 20k just because it has the "new" sticker on it...

I am unsure about buying from the US. I'll have to do some more research on that. Initially it looks good, but more time to figure all of that out.

The boat show is a BAD IDEA.. haha.. No friggn way I walk in there and make it out with out a brand new 20k boat (plus 5k of extras)...

Know thy self... :evil:
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Well I just got back from George's

They didn't have the exact model of Fisher I wanted to see but the models they did have were good enough to give me an idea.

They were as I expected, great use of space

BUT

The construction was a shame. Floor boards with screw holes but no screws, the carpetting looked like it was cut with an axe, it was a real mess and not a pretty sight, then I found out the boat I wanted to see was $38K plus freight plus PDI plus taxes

Not a chance

I could get the same boat from Lowe for $30K with taxes
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Hey guys/gals,
Just an update from this old thread of ours... I just purchased a 2008 Lund 1625 Classic SS with 40hp Honda, Minkota 55lb/12v, trailer, etc...

You can see this boat on www.dkdods.com, but Im sure you all know this manufacture/model...

Thanks for all the input and advise and guidance... Hope to see some/all of you on the water... after-all, I need someone to take the photos.... (just kidding of course) :lol:
RIVERKILLER
Participant
Participant

Post by RIVERKILLER »

I tried not to reply to this thread but can't help myself.I normally agree with everything RJ says but I will have to disagree with him on a few points.The reality of the marine business is it is a very short season and everybody wants there boat yesterday.Just think about this the next time you are wondering why it takes two weeks to service a boat.How many dealers are there in the east end of Ottawa ? 2 maybe three and how many people own boats? The reality is that we all use them at the same time and unfortunately they all break at the same time(murphy says) we are all boaters and want nothing more than to see you out on the water.So to say that marine service is spotty and just get used to it I have a little issue with that.the reality as well is that customers who buy boats from us get priority and all you folks that go down to the states to get cheap deals then come in expecting us to fix your boat in two days well..... get in line.The reason the boating industry doesn't offer 0% financing is that your boat should last 15-20 yrs and your car is worth less after 3yrs than you owe on the loan.Boats are one of the few things like homes that you can finance for up to 20yrs(not this year :D ).Buyer beware when buying in the states because we had 15 boats that we either wrote off the motor(katrina boats we called them) or had to replace transoms,floors,wiring sytems and by the time you added it all up they payed more than had they bought it in Canada.This is just my opinion and I am sure some people will disagree or try to say that I am only trying to drum up business for myself but the reality of the boating industry is that you don't need a boat and I fish for the same reasons you do I LOVE IT.Tight Lines
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

New Ride

Post by Joey Rat »

Congrats on the new ride. As a proud a Lund & Honda owner (2005 1650 Rebel) I know you won't regret your choice.

I also have my boat serviced at DK Dodds and have never had an issue there either.
bigpikemike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

dont buy new

Post by bigpikemike »

dont buy new like stated b4...go big and go wide....then buy an engine that suits ur needs...and first of all never buy in the spring...buy in the fall and never pay the asking price....example last motor i bought was listed for 1100 at the beginning of the year....i watched the ad all summer as well as dozens of other ads and late summer it dropped to 900 i waited 2 weeks after that and called the ad....he went down to 700 on the phone and i said i would take a look at it only...got there and offerred him 500 and we settled on 600...and now i am a proud owner of a 25hp 2 stroke merc