Looking for some recommendations/experiences

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Looking for some recommendations/experiences

Post by Hookup »

Hey folks,
I'm looking at picking up a fishing boat before the season, or well as soon as I find a good deal. I'm looking for an aluminum style boat with front mount, foot control and steering console.

I've been trolling trader.ca, the classifieds on this forum and see alot of different makes and models. I've personally never heard of some, like Mirrorcraft, scout?

What are known "good reliable" manufactures? I've had a procraft 19' bassboat, and it's not what I want this time.. more along the lines of legend/lund style fishing boats.. 15-18 feet in length.. 16.x being ideal.

Hope this is not to vauge... just looking for experiences and comments on what you all have seen.
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

One of the most important factors when looking for a new boat is to make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. Just because one dealer is alot cheaper than another doesn't mean anything if your service after the sale is no good. As far as brands go if you are looking for an aluminum you can't go wrong with any of the big names (Lund, Princecraft, Legend, Tracker). Make sure you get the biggest motor rated for the boat or else you will regret it later. As far as pricing goes new 09's have gone up significantly so if you can find a leftover 08 you will probably save yourself some money. Take your time, do your research and I'm sure it will work out well for you.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'll agree with 95% of Fishmaster's comments....you will not go wrong with any of the aluminum packages....but find your price point and start there....and yes...get the highest HP rated for that boat...

The reputable dealer thing I question myself.....I've dealt with most of them in the Ottawa area.....and expect no matter who you deal with that the service will be spotty.....it's just the way it is in the marine business....get used to it...

I'd go to the boat show....and get your haggling skills goin....those guys have got to be hurting....

RJ
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

I would never buy a new boat and pay the ridiculous prices here in Canada....

Check some of the used boat sites in the US and you'll be glad you did!!.... :wink:
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

RJ wrote:I'll agree with 95% of Fishmaster's comments....
RJ
Thanks RJ that made my day. It's about 90% more agreement than I get from my girlfriend :lol: And I agree with what RJ says about that the dealers must be hurting. I know they are anxious to sell some inventory because most of them ordered it early last fall before the full brunt of the economic downturn was known. It is definitely a buyers market right now.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

I'm in the process of buying a boat. It's a pretty personal choice as everyone has their own style and preferences......

I would highly recommend you go to the show. And take your wife.

My wife thought I was nuts when I was trying to explain the difference to her between a tracker / lund, the size difference 4" of beam makes..... until she went to the TO show and got in every boat herself.

She wanted me to buy something I wasn't going to want to sell in a few years (me too!) so we worked it out together.

Go wider if you can...... sure you think you can get by with an 84-87" beam...... but chances are in a couple years you're going to say you wish your boat was a bit wider.......

And like the others say, max out the HP! It's very expensive to upgrade the motor later......

I wouldn't worry about brand or dealer (too much), find a boat you love and then go from there. In most cases, anyone can service a boat whether you got it there or not........

In my case it came down to Lund vs Alumacraft....... 16'8"..... went with the Alumacraft cuz it was $7000 cheaper.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Almost everything has been covered already, except buying used.
Like TMH says, terrific deals stateside.

Quite a few US boats being sold used up here as well.
Big savings on a used boat, but be careful with the motor.

One option to think about - look for a good quality used hull, eg 17' Starcraft, Lund, Princecraft etc, with a crappy or older motor.

Then buy yourself a NEW motor - e.g. 2008 old stock E-Tec 90Hp - and you will have full warranty and reliability, not to mention fuel economy and emissions...

Dump the old motor for $500 - and use that $$ to buy all the extra things you will need (anchor, jackets, spare bilge pump, extinguisher, new batteries etc)
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

As an example of what TMH was talking about, look what 16k USD can buy... sweet package for the money... Worth a drive to Illinois... could likely buy it for 14K cash.

OR

Good to know the prices if buying used or new locally.

http://tinyurl.com/ccwpnc
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

A bit smaller but newer for $12K USD. Depending on the year it was commissioned you can probably still get extended warranty through Merc.

It is in Oshkosh WI

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boats___ ... 240%3A1318

-- --------------------------------------------------------------

If you have $18K to spend this is a great deal with a 150 Optimax (motor alone is $15K new)

http://www.stingrayboats.com/Dealers/sh ... at=2955205
JoeLavoie
Participant
Participant

Post by JoeLavoie »

I bougbt a Doral Escape last year. Its a perfect boat in my opinion for the Ottawa. It can ride out the biggest waves so far.... and I'm taking the trip up to Temiskaming...

I want to get an adjustable seat pedestal and have encountered nothing but problems...

I'd like a seat that can rise up and down. The boat is a Doral Escape 210. I've contacted a few boat dealerships on ottawa and they all ask me what type of installation is it. The boast is in storage...
What kind is it? ?????? Isn't it your job to know this...
Stavi lost his fingers. The Special Olympis are mine now. Jeffy never loses. Plus I'm an angry individual... I like to fight... anywhere.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Right now is a tough time for buying a boat

Not too many in the showrooms for the next weeks

Many of the dealers I visit or call are still moving out the sleds and are just starting to get the shipments of new boats.

Do yourself a favor. Even if you are not interested in a make go and look at it anyways. JP told me to put together a list of must haves for my new boat

Every brand of boat I look at changes my list. You would be surprised what brands just don't have.

I am off tonihgt to George's spring sale to sit in a Fisher

Yes the boats are higher priced this year, but are they hungry for sales?
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Heres a question for everybody.Why is it you cant purchase a boat with 0 or 1.9% financing like when purchasing a new car?If the economy is so bad and nobody is spending why not try to entice more people that way?
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Do your homework first. Hit as many boat shows and dealers as you can to look at all the differences in styles available to you.
Look at the storage built into the boats.
Does your wife love to fish & boat also? She might like a windshield too.
Kids? Kids on the way? We went to a 17 1/2ft sport/fisherman because of our two small kids at the time.
Max out the HP for the boat. Some boat, motor & trailer packages can be underpowered.
If the boat is pushing 17ft. get a 24v. trolling motor for the front.

Good luck,

DropShot'r
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

rodbreaker wrote:Heres a question for everybody.Why is it you cant purchase a boat with 0 or 1.9% financing like when purchasing a new car?If the economy is so bad and nobody is spending why not try to entice more people that way?
No but they'll be more than willing to set you up to pay for it over 20 years.... :lol: ...when you are done paying for it...you've paid double...
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I am a retired army guy, and we have a saying:

"Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted."

I think you have received some excellent advice already in this thread, including the preparation of a list (MUST-haves and SHOULD-haves and NICE-to-haves are good headings.) For me (as an example) a 'must" was tiller-driven, a "should" was a BIG livewell, and a "nice" might have been something I would not have bought if it didn't come with the boat as original equipment - like rod holders or whatever.

Now get out and look at what's out there. There is a LOT of difference between brands as far as boat lay-out and STORAGE. I bought a Sylvan because it had by far the best storage in all of the sixteen foot aluminum tiller boats being sold at that time. (Storage was also a "must-have for me).

Most older hulls are still fine, and as has been noted, your best bet might be to buy a solid boat with a less spectacular motor and do a swap on a new motor.

Good luck!

Doug