Weatmeath Adventure Weekend - Pike and walleye opener 09'

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Weatmeath Adventure Weekend - Pike and walleye opener 09'

Post by Tip-up »

While were deep into the heart of winter now, I have been doing some pondering the past few nights after chatting with a few people regarding pike and walleye opener this spring on the Ottawa River. I thought I would throw this out here now to get the ball rolling and to see if we can gain a bit more intrest while were many months ahead :roll:

This 'Adventure weekend' in Westmeath has been a success in the past and for many reasons. I have not had the opportunity to attend such a weekend which were frequent and well organized a little while ago, and have noticed the notion to have another or at least plan has just not been there or at leas in the last little while.

Jig Head and I have opened up our cottage(On the Quebec side) for this to a few hawkers and will be housing a few freinds at my place for that weekend. I could have a few tents setup on the property although docking space is very limited. We are close to two resorts in the area though.

The areas resorts are located in prime trophy pike and walleye(I have seen 7-9lbs walleyes pulled out every year within minutes of the resort) territory and offer anglers many weekend housing packages to choose from. I know many have stayed at the two resorts and I hope they can add a little feedback here as to how they were takin care of as guests. I have only heard good things about both..

Laurention View Resort
http://www.laurentianviewresort.com/

Nangor Resort
http://www.nangorresort.com/

Of course the fishing....Il let the photo's replace the typng. Again, all within 15-20 minutes of our cottage and both resorts.

So if anyone is trying to consider something new for opener or maybe you have been up this way before and are trying to pick the right weekend, please consider this as an option.

I don't want this to become a circus thread, if you have no intrest in a Adventure weekend or just have nothing good to say, save your typing.
Hoping we can gain some intrest here. I will bump this thread twice a month if no intrest in shown. Thanks for taking the time to read and here are links to the previous weekends...

This is what it's all about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawkshow/adven ... -show2.php

Andrew
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

That's an amazing opportunity that you guys are offering! :D

It's an amazing fishery up there for sure and there's so much water to cover.

I'll make sure to be down there that weekend and will boat over and say hi!
SCUBA_STEVE
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SCUBA_STEVE »

hey guys!

well i have done it there last 2 yrs had a few hawkers that showed up and had a blast!
would be intrested to do another down there if there is enough response

i will be up there that weekend anyhow with brothers and freind!and who knows who but always a great time!

steve
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Party at Tippy and Jiggy's!

That sure is a great area up there.....

Good Luck with it boys!

RJ
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Our family spent a lot of years going to Laurention View Resort. That place was really the start of our yearly family vacation week. Loved fishing and exploring in the rapids up stream from the lodge in our 14ft Starcraft. Swimming down at the big sandbar. I always enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Sturgeon, channel cats, 'eyes, sauger, bass, perch, mooneye, pike. the river and the mountains, you guys had a magical place to grow up in.

If I can swing it, I'd love to go.

DropShot'r
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

RJ, not quite :lol:

I have always known its a magical place up there :) , and you are right DS'r, we are very fotunate to have grown up there.

I have spent a of time fishing the area and know the waters very well. I will be doing much more explorng up into the black river system this season and will beach the boat and hike into some of the many trout lakes that completely surround us.

Thanks for showing some intrest guys! I remember your report from Westmeath Steve....We had actually chatted with a few of you guys while out on the water :D
Last edited by Tip-up on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
pchilli1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

IN for sure

Post by pchilli1 »

I'm in for sure.

My family has a cottage on Allumette Island and I’ve fished the surrounding area many a days in the past 5-years. I’ll bring my hiking boots and my 4lb light weight rod for those trout lakes. Its nice to get into them before the bugs pull you out.

I could house a few halkers as well at the cottage if necessary (altough I'm about 30 minuts from westmeath).

P.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: IN for sure

Post by Tip-up »

pchilli1 wrote:I'm in for sure.

My family has a cottage on Allumette Island and I’ve fished the surrounding area many a days in the past 5-years. I’ll bring my hiking boots and my 4lb light weight rod for those trout lakes. Its nice to get into them before the bugs pull you out.

I could house a few halkers as well at the cottage if necessary (altough I'm about 30 minuts from westmeath).

P.
You know, how many times have we tried to make ends meet to get out for a fish up there Pchilli1 :lol: That is a very generous offer you just made. Have you been doing any ice fishing up that way or just Bogie this year? Thanks to those showing a bit of intrest already, it's going to be a great weekend up there no doubt...

Now, about all that snow outside. I'v got to shovel now :x :lol:
pchilli1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

All over

Post by pchilli1 »

I've been all over this year Tip-up. I've actually saw you fishing with a group of guys about a month ago in Crappie Bay. It was an amazing day to be out and everyone was nailing them pretty good. Your buddy had that net to hold your fish alive under the ice, really cool. I didn't realize it was you till someone said tip-up (however, you were sheltered in your clam for the day, haha).

Should be a good weekend for sure. I always have a few people up for opener so I'll be around for sure.

Next time I see you I'll say hi!

P.
Rybren
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rybren »

My buddies and I held our "Big Stud Weekend" at Nangor in early June last year. The resort is first-rate. The cabins are clean, spacious, and fully stocked. We liked the place so much, that we're going back again this year. Some of the lads have been going there this winter for hard-water (Nangor is open year-round)

We caught a lot of walleye, but none were huge. We also picked up a couple of decent sized pike @ 10-ish and 14-ish pounds.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Did you post pictures of the pike Rybren? I remember seeing a 14lb'er posted on the board a couple days after the last Adventure Weekend.

Anyone remember this one from a few years ago...Big pike around 15lbs clamped down on Jig Heads bass. Never did see this fish again :roll: Maybe this spring?
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

You know annie and I are in for the adventure
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Sounds good!! :D I'm definitely in for that!! :wink:

Hey Scuba Steve! :o Where in Hades have you been??? :shock:

Ya haven't become one o' them 'Lurkers', have ya??? :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to see yer still around, let's do that Nangor thing again, had a blast last year!! :wink: (except for the G.D. rain!!!! :evil: :evil: )
Rybren
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rybren »

Tip-up,

Yeah, I did post some pics, but they weren't the greatest.

There were a bunch of guys from Ottawa at Nangor at the same time as us. I think that some of them worked for Hydo. Sounded like they were having a great time despite all the t-storms and rain.

Cyber, sounds like you might have been there at the same time. We were in the last cabin by the owner's place.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D it is a fun area up there. Dean and I were up with one of the Fish-Hawk adventure weekends and boated over 30 pike between us in one day. Lots of different water to fish.