daytime eyes?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

daytime eyes?

Post by plncrzy »

I have been hard water fishing these parts since I moved here two years ago. and have noticed that the bite on ALL the lakes I have fished have been between sunset to sun up. Just the odd rainbow during the daytime... and the lake trout can sometimes be good during the day.

My question though, is regarding the walleye, What I have read is;

Has anybody had ANY luck catching walleye during the day in tese parts?

The trick is obviously to find them in the deeper water correct?

One local lake is a broad basin, so finding them there would be tough, but I was thinking... If I know of a walleye lake that has a deep trof leading from a bay to to 60' water, the walleye would/should be lined up somewhere in that trof one would think... and it would be a mater of finding the depth at which they are holding and then try to entice them correct?

opinions?

I am intersted in your opinions, tales, tactics at catching eyes during the day on hazrd water.
valley_boy
Participant
Participant

Post by valley_boy »

I have also had alot of trouble catching them during the day. I always thought they would be on the deep end of drop offs where I catch them in the evening, but I have yet to get any good numbers in those locations. Where I have had my most success during the day is on the Ottawa R in spots with significant current, which are tough to find that have safe ice, but there are a few. I have also heard that downsizing works, but its tough to get a small jig down deep or to the bottom in current so I havent given it much effort. Not sure if there is a way to get them on a good bit during the day, and if anyone does know, the will probably keep it secret......... I know I would!
Jair
Participant
Participant

Daytime Eyes

Post by Jair »

I've had some luck over the past couple years during the day.

Mainly in the east end of the Ott. I look for deeper humps coming out of bays.

How aggressive the bite is that week will usually determine my choice of bait.
(ie: size)

Will occasionally get into a good little school but normally I only get 1 or 2 decent size ones. I think moving around a little during the day may be key.

Cheers
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

Hi folks, I've been wondering the same thing and this is what I found on Wikipedia regarding walleyes:
The common name, "walleye," comes from the fact that their eyes, like those of cats, reflect light. This eyeshine is the result of a light-gathering layer in the eyes called the tapetum lucidum which allows the fish to see well in low-light conditions. In fact, many anglers look for walleyes at night since this is when most major feeding patterns occur. Their eyes also allow them to see well in turbid waters (stained or rough, breaking waters) which gives them an advantage over their prey. Thus, walleye anglers will commonly look for days and locations where there is a good "walleye chop" (i.e., rough water). This excellent vision also allows the fish to populate the deeper regions in a lake and can often be found in deeper water. This also means that since they live and spawn in mostly shallow waters, they can see onto or near the shore for disturbances in the water such as humans.

this explains why they feed at night and in rough waters.

Gerry
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

From my experience, you can definitely get them in the day. Obviously its not as good of a bite as the evening when they are in feeding mode but you can get them. The key is to find them. I also agree deep water in the day can be productive. But depending on how deep your fishing be prepared to keep what you catch. On a local lake you can consistently get them through the middle of the day out of 60 FOW. But almost all fish that are brought up from that depth are not going to live so they are kept. The good part is I have never got a fish in the deep hole to small to keep, and nothing over 4 lbs. Another option is to look for a good source of oxygen, a large flat, etc. Also many times during the day switching to my crappie gear is the difference between one or two fish and getting skunked. A lot of times you can entice them to suck in a smal crappie jig when they wont take the traditional jig and minnow. It helps to have a vex etc. because you can see them come in and show interest in your jig but they wont hit it, throw a crappie jig down with a minnow head and its game over.

orrsey
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

The biggest walleye I've seen caught other than at Quinte was last winter...in 8 FOW on a 1/50th oz crappie jig.... :lol: I only ever get them incidentally....but I can say they do like smaller baits!

Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Bait selection in during the day is just is just as important as location IMO. Small forage minnow spoons and Lindy Fat Boy teardrops have been driving the daytime walleyes wild. Tipped with smaller minnow I have found and many I fish with will tell you it's the only way to go...

Same goes for any fish as the late winter arrives and fishing get's tougher...Oxygen levels are low in lakes and rivers which in turn can sometimes turn fish right off . Experimenting and staying on top of the fish is the best way to get that bite you want. If you know where the fish are holding then it's only a matter of putting the right bait infront of there nose. I am usually fishing anywhere from 20 - 40FOW during the day for walleyes and usually look for rocks and shoals to fish around. If you can find a flat you know fish are cruising and also know of structure on that flat...your in for a good afternoon. Any bottom transistion are good places to start as well :D

Andrew
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

There is one unique and simple fact when it comes to icing winter walleye - forget the tactics re:articles that pertain to seasonal fishing (spring, summer & fall)

Areas that hold fish seasonally are your target but change your search pattern. Due to early spawning staging which occurs at this time of year, fish movement will generally be upstream and the fish will hold in deeper water but move shallow for feeding throughout the day.

Active Walleye are scattered - most of the fish will be foraging in shallow water - surface to 10' deep.

You've got to be mobile

Lots of holes drilled in the right areas and a jigging stick are the ticket - save your tipups for dead sticking Pike.

Small baits are the key but you need a hook with an open gap.

Look for edges with your electronics - sharp breaks close to shorelines, edges of humps or rip-rap shorelines with big rock.

These areas with access to deep water are prime.

The prey fish are here and the predators are nearby.

I have a preference for Rocker Minnows tipped with a 2" shiner - a slow raise & lower motion will generally provide sufficient action.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

McQ wrote:There is one unique and simple fact when it comes to icing winter walleye - forget the tactics re:articles that pertain to seasonal fishing (spring, summer & fall)

Areas that hold fish seasonally are your target but change your search pattern. Due to early spawning staging which occurs at this time of year, fish movement will generally be upstream and the fish will hold in deeper water but move shallow for feeding throughout the day.

Active Walleye are scattered - most of the fish will be foraging in shallow water - surface to 10' deep.

You've got to be mobile

Lots of holes drilled in the right areas and a jigging stick are the ticket - save your tipups for dead sticking Pike.

Small baits are the key but you need a hook with an open gap.

Look for edges with your electronics - sharp breaks close to shorelines, edges of humps or rip-rap shorelines with big rock.

These areas with access to deep water are prime.

The prey fish are here and the predators are nearby.

I have a preference for Rocker Minnows tipped with a 2" shiner - a slow raise & lower motion will generally provide sufficient action.

Awesome stuff.... THANKS!!!! I know EXACTLY where I am going to swiss cheese a lake next time out.... :wink:
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Been wondering the same thing the last couple of weeks after switching from crappies to walleyes. Where the heck are they? The key: move around.
I've been reading hundreds of articles and videos in the past month trying to get that biggun through the hole. Here's some of the best articles I've read concerning mid-winter and mid-day walleyes.

Mid-winter walleyes:

http://www.iceteam.com/video_walleye.html

http://www.iceteam.com/articles/midwinter_walleye.html

http://www.fishingthemidwest.com/articl ... nter.shtml

Mid-day walleyes
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/middaywalleyefishing.php

Stay away from the crowds, drill countless holes and you will catch quality fish.
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

Awesome stuff.... THANKS!!!! I know EXACTLY where I am going to swiss cheese a lake next time out....
Aren't you glad you asked :D
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

Prairieboy wrote:
Awesome stuff.... THANKS!!!! I know EXACTLY where I am going to swiss cheese a lake next time out....
Aren't you glad you asked :D
Uh... YAH ... now you know where4 were going and on what lake right? :lol:

Friday afternoon? .... before the big cold front on Saturday?
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Due to logistical reasons we only ice fished for them during the day back home. Definitely the peak action was dawn and dusk, and we assumed that meant the best fishing was at night.

But we did get them during the day too - just not nearly as many as in the first hour and last hour.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

Thanks for ALL the replies. I appreciate them all.

I have access to a lake that has NO public access, the walleye that we have caught was about 2-3 pounds and missed a few. All were caught/missed at sunset/after sunset.

The family freind that has property on the lake states that the eyes average MUCH bigger than what we caught. and that 11 pounders have been caught recently (in summer months)

The lake has a couple deep plataus with one very sharp and narrow trough leading from a 50' section to an inflow creek.

So you know what I will be doing next time out there.... checking out that trough AND the platau.

One question I ask myself is ;

how far do the eyes travel in how much time?

If they hold in the deeper trough.... how soon before sunset do they begin to move into the shallows to feed... i.e. how fast do they move? If the 50 to 60' water is 300 meters fromt he creek, when should I start moving?

I wish I knew howfast they move in cold water. Do they move fast... i.e. 300 meters in a matter of 30 minutes? ... or do they move slower or faster?

any ideas?

GREAT discussion BTW!

Considering that they seem to begin to bite in this lake right after sunset in 10' of water.... when should I satrt lokking shalower than the platau int he afternoon?
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

In regards to the creek and deep water I don't think there is any definite answer as to when they will move where. For all anyone knows they may not move....depends on the day. I know of a spot where you can catch them in 60fow in the day right through the night. In the evening and low light conditions they just become more active and move around a bit more. i.e. more likely to come across your bait because they are searching. Is there any change in bottom structure in that stretch of 300m from the deep water to the creek? i.e. steep drop? Weed bed? mud to rock transition? If so give that spot a fair chance. Your best bet is to spend some time on that area trying all depths in all times of the day. First time out I would move to shallower water around 2pm but maybe leave a set line in deeper water which will give you plenty of time to settle in. Every lake is different so it can be a time consuming process but it can be very rewarding once you find a pattern.

Just remember that as the winter rolls on patterns may change and you will have to keep changing to.

orrsey