Winter Storage - Indoor or Outdoor

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lowe Rider
Participant
Participant

Winter Storage - Indoor or Outdoor

Post by Lowe Rider »

Gentlemen,

This is my first winter with my boat. My first instinct is to store my boat indoors, although the only inddor storage I can find is not heated, and in a rural area, cement floor, metal building.

If you have the choice of that, or to shrink wrap it and store it with Orleans Boat World in their storage field, what would you do?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have an aluminium boat, with an outboard motor, both brand new this year.

Thanks
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

There is indoor storage at the old Costco in Gatineau. (Labrosse exit off the 50).

Under 18ft is $450.....over 18ft is $600. I believe you can access your boat once a month.

If anyone is interested I will post the info when I get home this evening.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I've stored boats in barns and in marina storage.
Each year the boat ran fine.
Its really up to you.

I'd go with an economical solution. Try self-storage. Sometimes you can get great rates and they are very secure!

J
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I would store in an unheated place before I would store in a heated one. Cold does not cause rust. but heat can be a contributor of condensation which in turns will cause the rust. Just winterize your engine properly and put anti-freeze in your livewell pumps and bilge pumps and store it in an unheated place. Some say to take the batteries out or not. As long as the batteries are fully charged all you have to do is disconnect everything from them. My batteries I will take out just because I have place in my basement to store them. My boat will sleep in a tempo this winter, while I'm out icefishing.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Winter Storage - Indoor or Outdoor

Post by Terry_F »

Lowe Rider wrote:Gentlemen,

This is my first winter with my boat. My first instinct is to store my boat indoors, although the only inddor storage I can find is not heated, and in a rural area, cement floor, metal building.

If you have the choice of that, or to shrink wrap it and store it with Orleans Boat World in their storage field, what would you do?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have an aluminium boat, with an outboard motor, both brand new this year.

Thanks
I'm no expert, but have owned boats for a few years now, so here is my take on this..........
Indoor or outdoor storage, heated or not.
I have had my boat stored indoors but not heated for many years.
First I want to keep the weight of snow of the boat and trailer, hence the indoors.
Second I want to reduce the corrosion potential so unheated is my chosen option.
The strongest advice I can give is get the engine proffessionally winterised, unless you really know what you are doing with a fogging can.
I also have a spring tune-up done by the same place I have the winterisation done.
As for the boat storage and what can you do...........
Remove all your ropes, PFDs etc as mice love to nest in them.
Take the time to do a general cleanup of the boat, clean scum lines etc.
Remove the batteries and store them at home in a heated area, charge them once or twice during the winter.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck

Edit: if you do store ina barn make sure there is a tarp over your new boat and boat cover to keep the bird / bat poop off.
Last edited by Terry_F on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I agree with Terry.

The best thing you can do is to have the boat professionally winterized and tuned-up in the spring.

I do this with all my toys! I just paid to have my ATV ready for 2 weeks from now.

I also need to have the sleds drive bearings and such lubed for the season.

The harley is being put away so the trickle charger is going on, the tank filled and stabilizer added and oily rags stuffed into the exhaust ports.

I'll roll her once every two weeks to take the strain of the fork seals.

Maintenance is quite time consuming!

J
JC
Participant
Participant

Post by JC »

IS there any recommendations on who/where to get my boat winterized?
I have storage but have never attempted closing down a boat before, and I bought a new one this spring so I don't want to mess around.
Maybe someone on this site does this for extra cash, which I would rather give my money to the small guy, tax free too!! 8)

Either way, big guy or small guy, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
J

:P
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

TheFishCoop wrote:IS there any recommendations on who/where to get my boat winterized?

:P
All of the marinas offer this.
Go to the marina who supports your motor ie Mercury Dealer or Johnson dealer.
They should also have the latest updates and be be able to advise you on the condition of your motor as well as be knowledgable about the model in general.
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

Authorized Dealer for your new motor is key.

My Reasoning
#1 - You just spent thousands on a new motor and it only costs $150-ish or less to have it winterized and fogged properly.
#2 - The techs will check the computer and advise you of any alarms or faults that may have tripped over the summer and in many cases can explain the cause.
#3 - Updates and recalls will get done or you will be notified to get them done in the spring.
#4 - If it was the first year of the motor is is due to have the lower end fluid replaced as well.

You could go it on your own but my 115 Merc Opti only costs $155 (Hurst Marina) for winterizing, seems like a small price to pay for the piece of mind.

Cheers,
Prairieboy
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

As promised,

A flyer was dropped in my boat at the Gatineau marina.

DANIS ENTREPOSAGE
Heated storage
(Old Costco, boul Labrosse)
100,000 sq ft

Boats, Motorcycles, Cars and RV's.

-Access to vehicle once a month or more often for additional charge.
-Surveillance and security systems
-Proof of ownership and insurance mandatory

Motorcycle $350

Car $600

Boat
Under 18' $450
18' to 26' $600
26' to 32' $800
32' to more $1000

September 15th to April 15th

For Information: M.D. Danis
613-223-6762 or 819-790-0660
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

We store in a barn.............never is any problems with it either......

Have had our boat for a long time.....8+ years.....

Just remove any fragile electronics.....and ur good to go......

I think you must prepare the engine for sitting for so long too..need to do somethign about lower end u can't leave fluid in it, it must be replaced i think...
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

I had my boat shrink wraped last year. Every thing was fine come spring. This year I think I may store the boat in the garage (no Heat).

Has anyone used the Navigloo setup? They look great and the price seems fair. They have a lot of plastic parts? That would be my biggest concern.
Lowe Rider
Participant
Participant

Post by Lowe Rider »

Thanks a lot guys, seems like either option will be fine. I have an E-Tec, so I can winterize it myself very easily for the next 3 years before I have to bring it in to the shop. Gotta love those Evinrudes.
coolspiderdude
Participant
Participant

Post by coolspiderdude »

Hey guys, how about winterizing/storing a 9.9 2 stroke? Indoor or is shed fine? stabilizer into the tank? (would it be the same stablizer I put in my bike?) The 14 foot I was just going to flip over on the trailer so snow does to pile inside it, is this the proper method or does it matter?

thanks!
NewfieFisher
Participant
Participant

Post by NewfieFisher »

I don't own a boat but regarding batteries I'd recommend removing them and storing them above 0 degrees. Marine type batteries may be different in terms of the case/insulation but while I worked as an RV tech, I saw many batteries freeze and burst when left stored in RVs over the winter. These were mostly cheaper type requiring maintenance - had removable caps to check the electrolyte levels. The electrolyte in them freezes and has nowhere to expand so the case bursts. Then in spring when it thaws the damn acid leaks all over the place. That is a pain in the butt to deal with - burned a pair of coveralls cleaning out a customers battery compartment in their 5th wheel on one occasion. Not to mention the cost of replacement batteries. This problem may be more a result of a battery not holding charge or something and may be fine if its fully charged or connected to a Solar Panel. I'd still disconnect them and store them in a warmer environment to be on the safe side.