What a trip...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

What a trip...

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Well I'm back after my first major outing of the season. Managed to nail 93 Speckled trout between the 2 of us in a little over 4 days! Had a couple major feeds.

Now of course there were the usual problems, like the camera ######## up after a day...so as a result no Trout pics...Unless frozen will do! :lol: You can keep 10 each.....No Bows though, that was dissappointing!

Here's our cabin we stay at, sleeps about 30...great setup.

I did get one fish photo, that of about a 1/2 pound Barbut which I somehow snagged :shock:

Released it to grow another 1/2 pound or so :!: :lol:

All in all, a great trip. Wish I had more photos :!: .....
Last edited by Wall-I-Guy on Fri May 14, 2004 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

93 Specks and all we get is a pic of a snagged bullhead?... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you had a good trip....the walleye bite is on!

RJ
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Way to go WIG! 93! :shock: Any size to them?

I know how bad you've been itching to get a little trout fishing in, glad you got out. How were you fishing them? Brooks or Lakes? Sinners? Trolling or casting? I really miss the brook trout fishing back on the east coast.
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

sweet looking accomadations, there is a cottage like that on Lower Buckhorn solid hardwood unbelievable.. 93 specks, good job!

Post by Guest »

where were you fishing WIG? nice trip for you!
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Wall_I_Guy,WTG!!!! 93 specks man thats an awsome get away!Well and 1 snagged burbot, :shock: Glad to hear your escape from the grind was eventful budz!

T.L F.F
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Spec getaway

Post by Tomcat »

WIG:

Very mouth-watering report!! Congrats!
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Now that’s catchin.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Good catch..is Barbut the local name for bullhead catfish? Because we do have Ling or Burbot in the waters as well..
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Hey Salmon,I'll awnser this one lol,Yes it is a bullhead.We well alot almost everyone I know refers to bullhead as(burbut,or Mudpout)But you are right the real burbut is a ling kind of a cod lookin character.I dont have a pic handy but the april issue of ont out of doors has a Gent who got one 14lbs!!!! :shock: Think it was northern Ont.I Got a few through the ice @ Bob's Lake last year too.

T.L F.F
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hiya, WIG.

Welcome back from what sounds like a great 1st getaway for the season.
You deserved some fun and action after slaving away on the bathroom project. No lightening incidents, eh? :wink:

When I go to Gananoque Lk. next week, I hope I can report something exciting, too. If I get a third of what you caught, I'll be really excited.

W.

PS: glad ya let the little bully go. Just look at those big, brown eyes! :lol:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

RJ wrote:93 Specks and all we get is a pic of a snagged bullhead?... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Glad you had a good trip....the walleye bite is on!
RJ
Ya I know, sounds fishy eh :?: :roll:

But isn't that always the way :?: :lol:
Markus wrote:Way to go WIG! 93! :shock: Any size to them?
I know how bad you've been itching to get a little trout fishing in, glad you got out. How were you fishing them? Brooks or Lakes? Sinners? Trolling or casting? I really miss the brook trout fishing back on the east coast.
Hey Marcus, they averaged about pound. Just a great eating size. We were nailing them for the most part on West River Suttons, they're paper thin flasher/spoons if you're not familiar with them.

A little disaapointed the Bows weren't around. We did hear of 2 being caught by other members of our club the previous week. Just have to try again I guess :!: :lol: :lol:
crazyhook wrote:where were you fishing WIG? nice trip for you!
Up on Lake Sandal near Maniwaki crazy, we're the only cottage on it...great lake mainly because we do stock it with Specks and Bows....
SALMON wrote::D Good catch..is Barbut the local name for bullhead catfish? Because we do have Ling or Burbot in the waters as well..
Yes Salmon you are correct. That comes from years of fishing with my dad for what we always referred to as Barbot, not Burbot which is a Ling as you know. We differentiated them from cats by calling them that. Likely due to dear ole Dad not wanting to freak us out with the name "Ling" I guess :shock: :lol: .
wolfe wrote:Hiya, WIG.

Welcome back from what sounds like a great 1st getaway for the season.
You deserved some fun and action after slaving away on the bathroom project. No lightening incidents, eh? :wink:

When I go to Gananoque Lk. next week, I hope I can report something exciting, too. If I get a third of what you caught, I'll be really excited.
W.
PS: glad ya let the little bully go. Just look at those big, brown eyes! :lol:
Thanks Wolfe, it was a lot of fun to get away. Hope you have a great trip :!: My American buddy who comes up to catch the opening of Wally season has already hit Bob's and Wolfe Lakes. Says the catching was tough :!: Usually never has a problem :shock:
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey WIG

congrats on your fishing trip.....93 trout .......AWSOME :lol: 1 barbut ...there is always one black sheep in every trip ...looking forward to getting out with you sometime this summer!!

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!!><
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

SALMON wrote::D Good catch..is Barbut the local name for bullhead catfish? Because we do have Ling or Burbot in the waters as well..

Barbut probably comes from the french name barbotte, which means bullhead. I am guessing that since Ottawa has a large francophone community, along with the fact that the nations capital is kinda welded to the second biggest city in Québec, the french term has rubbed off. We'll gett'em :twisted: :twisted: .
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

93 Specs!! Now that's what I call getting started on the right foot. You've set the bar high WIG gonna be hard to keep up with your current pace :wink:

Congrats on the trip and thanks for the great report.

Karack