Removal of minimum bass size in area 18

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Removal of minimum bass size in area 18

Post by Jigs »

Just got a reply from the MNR regarding my query of a couple of months ago, and the synopsis goes like this:

""The change in bass size limits was one of the many that were made as part of a recent exercise to streamline and simplify Ontario's fishing regulations.

Prior to this, former Div. 10 was the only location in Ont. that had a year round min. size limit for bass. (30cm)

This was removed after careful review.

Minimum size limits tend to result in high densities of small bass, which can lead to reduced growth and increased natural mortality.

Not allowing anglers to harvest smaller bass can also focus harvest on larger brood stock-sized fish that are key to maintaining healthy bass populations.

Generally, there is no indication that bass populations are being over-harvested in Ont. In fact, with an increasing trend to catch and and release, bass populations are quite healthy and are expanding their range north.""

Letter was signed Donna Cansfield, MNR.

end of officialspeak. All the former words are hers_____________________

There ya have it. Thems the reasons.

I don't necessarily agree, but, it's a done deal. So, I shall file this letter in the fire-proof safe. If the bass population in former area 10 goes into the toilet, I can flash it around and say, see!!! toll ya!!!

If it should, however, it will no doubt be for any other reason than no size limit.......

Opinions, anyone??
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

Any size limit on bass is pointless. They are expanding at an increasing rate and taking over lakes normally not inhabited by bass (moving more north all the time). Every other fish is dwindling, but bass is flourishng.

Lakes we used to fish for pickeral, now you can't even keep a bass off your hook, and the pickeral are no longer worth the time to try to get as there is so few.

I talked with the MNR where I go alot, and they said the population is so out of control in their sampling that they said there is no concern with keeping the big ones.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I'm with you Jigs, but you'd better hope your boys don't get another bright idea & jump on our DEC's #$&*! bandwagon of allowing C&R bassin' during the spawn. :x Money talks, all else walks.

W.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

wolfe, its on the way next...

you'll have open fishing (C&R) during the spawn on large bodies of water starting 2010.

(Erie, Ontario, St Clair, Simcoe)...

then i'm sure smaller lakes will follow next.

I'm sure you can guess who's fueling this change.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Anyone in Sudbury is familiar with the Joe Lake story. Used to be the top speck lake around, now it's overrun by 8" smallmouth. You'll get the odd cannibalistic 3lbs smallmouth, but other than that and bringing the kids fishing it's a wasted fishery. With global warming and the general aggressive nature of smallmouth, we shouldn't worry much about losing our smallmouth fishery.
On a related subject, the MNR should look into being more "lake specific" with their regulations, some atypical lakes such or Joe in Sudbury or Trethewey in Lady-Evelyn Smoothwater PP could profit from a catch and keep fishery to let genetically stronger fish flourish. On Trethewey, limits (which have been reduced to 2 lakers from 3) of pound and a half lakers are a given every day but any fish over 3lbs is rare. Take some fish out, leave more biomass for the remaining fish and watch the quality of fish improve, pretty easy formula...I can't even remember if this has anything to do with the original post, but the bottom line is that smallmouth populations are in great shape and should continue to grow until the next ice age.
Robert Goulet
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Robert Goulet »

I grew up in Sudbury and was raised on McFarlane and Long Lake and I've never heard of Joe Lake...where is it?? From what I recall, bass have always been plentiful up there.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Joe Lake is near Nelson Lake north of Hanmer, used to have 0 bass in it, a cottager put a few in and now there are 0 specks and tens of thousands of dwarf smallmouth, according to recent surveys by Laurentian University. The bass are fun and all, but nothing's like catching big specks. I should have said anyone from the Valley I guess. Lucky you, being raised on McFarlane, big pickerel in there.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

All you folks from the North; I can definitely feel yer pain.

For years, Smallmouth have been "on the march"? :shock: North, and have overrun quite a few former spec and walleye lakes. No laughing matter, as they're usually put there by some well meaning know nothing who "wants to fish bass"........and winds up ruining a great spec territory.

The problem as I see it, is the tendency of the MNR to paint with a large brush. What works for the St Lawrence, doesn't for smaller bodies of water. But it saves them money, looks good on paper, and really, if trout lakes get decimated, or small bodies of former Area 10 get fished out; they don't really care. Some "other" cause; global warming, field mice, sparrow poop, will no doubt be the reason. :roll:

I just wanted to get a reason from them.. I got it. We'll see.

Tight lines

Jigs