Should I be a boater or non-boater?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Would you fish in your own boat if you could?

Yes I would fish from my own boat.
47%
No stay as a non-boater
7%
Try mixing it up a bit both ways
47%

Total votes: 15

Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Should I be a boater or non-boater?

Post by Seaweed »

I have joined up and will be fishing the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters tour this year.

Initially I joined up thinking that I would fish as a non-boater and get some experience with some guys in their boats and learn a few lakes... kind of like a learning year so to speak.

Well now I find myself with my own ride and enough smarts to fill the livewell on most days on waters I know.

My problem now is that I get questioning myself as to should I now fish as a boater or stay as a non-boater in this league and maybe fish a few other opens with other leagues and sort of get my feet wet that way as an owner operator.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I need to make a decision soon and I am still torn which way to go.
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Steve G »

Seaweed

Try the OVSB as a nonboater, and enter other individual tourney's as a boater...

In a series such as OVSB, there could a lot to learn the first year.

Just my guess...could be wrong...either way you'll be fishin!!! :wink:
FlyingDutchman
Participant
Participant

Post by FlyingDutchman »

Seaweed

I would have to say fish as a boater in OVSB. Not only you are creating a spot for a non boater but giving up your spot as a non boater. So now 2 more people who wouldn't had a chance to fish in tournaments now do.

FlyingDutchman
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

I guess I will be mixing it up a bit

Post by Seaweed »

Well I guess I will be mixing it up a bit.... kinda like the original plan once I got the new boat.

I am going to especially enjoy hitting the opens from the different tournament series.....

C ya on the water. :wink:
bass ackwards
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

b/nb boater

Post by bass ackwards »

seaweed
Don't worry, this will work out fine, most of the guys have boats, so you'll just have to make arrnagements with your partner as to who wants to bring their boat. some times you just want to fish and not worry about the boat and stuff, other times you can be the captain, first mate, chief cook and bottle washer if you like. plus some times its good to see a few different boats gives you an idea what you will want in your next one!!
It's going to be a great season, hope we get to fish together.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

I made the right choice

Post by Seaweed »

My choice to be a non-boater this year was bang-on correct. I have had such an amazing year fishing with some of the nicest, wisest, and willing to teach bunch of guys in the area. They not only help me dial in my bass angling techniques but they also have informed me about a lot of water in the area that I will be fishing next year in hopes of keeping the bottom on my boat intact.

My thanks go out to all the members of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters and everyone else that I have had a chance to fish with this year. It has made it one of my best angling years yet and I know is just a precursor to many more great years to come. May I take what I have learned this year and be as good an ambassador of fishing to others as you all have been to me. In my opinion the overall majority of people I have met in the various tournament series all are great and surprisingly more than willing to talk about what is working on the water that day.

Looking forward to the next tournie. :lol:
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

I also fished this year as a non-boater with the Petawawa Bassmasters and it was the best thing I ever did. I got to fish with a bunch of great guys and I also got to ride in some real nice boats. I did buy a boat at the begining of the season but I think I'll still fish as a non-boater next year just to gain some more knowledge( I'd also like to buy a different boat after riding in a glass bass boat).