About pics with kids with no flotation device in a boat!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

About pics with kids with no flotation device in a boat!

Post by Big Bass 444 »

I just wrote a comment to one of our fellow hawkers in the Bass gallery on one of his pic.
I sure hope he will take my advice seriously because I have 2 kids of my own and I can't imagine something would appen to them...ever!!!

Children are fast and they can do lots of dangerous things in no time!!!

wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I agree, that PFDs for kids are an absolute must. But be careful of pics, because some times they're deceiving: it might look like mine aren't wearing theirs but they are...just under their fleeces, particularly if it got chilly while we were out and they put the jackets on OVER their vests.
(Of course they look like blimps :wink: , but at a quick glance it appears they are w/o their vests.)

W.
mattdrp
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mattdrp »

ya it is a good idea for adults to idea wear theme to
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

yes all this is verry seriouse but on another NOTE:

is there anywere in this WORLD a vest that is comfortable enough for a full day of CASTING???
mattdrp
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mattdrp »

ya i know they are vary annoying but its allot better than dying
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

is there anywere in this WORLD a vest that is comfortable enough for a full day of CASTING???
There are several inflatable PFDs that can be worn all day. Some them are auto-inflate when they get submerged, others have a rip cord that needs to be pulled.

I wear a waist pouch PFD with a rip cord when fishing alone or when I am out flyfishing. This PFD won't do much if I pass out or get knocked out but if I slip on a rock or step in a hole when wading and go under, the PFD might come in handy. Then again, when I fish from the boat, I am usually in 4ft of water or less so I can just stand up if I fall in.....

I wear a regular lifejacket when driving the boat or fishing in rough water. Don't trust the inflatables that much.
JRSuprstar
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JRSuprstar »

My daughter is the same as Wolfe's children, she wears a PFD covered by a coat or sweater....I should be more diligent myself...
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

Whenever we get a chance to be in a boat we are always wearing our PFDs when under power (moving from place to place). When we are anchored or not moving we can take them off as we are all very strong swimmers. There is a rule with me...without a PFD on your back the boat doesn't move.
fletch02
Participant
Participant

Post by fletch02 »

I agree with gerry I will allow my kids to remov the pfd when we ae stopped as they are strong swimmers so perhaps thats what whent on in the above mentioned photo.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

So this weekend in the Rumble n
BoosterMcCall
Participant
Participant

Post by BoosterMcCall »

I wear my PFD all the time while boating or canoeing. I actually feel like I'm missing something when I don't wear it now, kind of like a seatbealt in the car. I'm an OK swimmer, but if you fall out of a boat, you can easily bump your head (a PFD will upright you even if you fall in face first) or land in weeds (which are difficult to swim in). Plus, it keeps me warm on cold or windy days and the pockets are useful for the camera, snacks, tackle, etc.
Some of them are uncomfortable, but that's where you have to shop around and try a few on. Also don't skimp on the dollars. As with most things, you get what you pay for in terms of quality and comfort.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

a PFD will upright you even if you fall in face first
Not necessarily.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/o ... mation.htm
http://www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=15198&tid=024
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Some excellent advice for sure and all done in the most respectful manner via the comments I've read in the gallery. There are some who would have received a message like that and taken offense of it, however in this case is was handled very gentlemenly, with the utmost respect for the "concern", and not taken the wrong way. I congratulate you both for that.

Since the tradgedy which happened on White Lake a few years back, I really try hard to be diligent in putting on my PFD before starting the engine. It's something that I don't always remember to do, but I'm trying very hard to change that, particularily in waters that are rough or when I plan on going full throttle down the lake.

With kids on the boat, they are always wearing the jackets, unless they are swimming of course with the motor turned off. Several different types of PFD's allow for different comfort levels, which the most comfy ones I've seen being the self inflating ones that are just like suspenders until they get submerged.

I prefer something like this over the rip cord ones since you need to be concious to pull that cord.

Some great advice. Thanks.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

With the kids in the boat, everyone wears a pfd which includes myself and my wife the whole time we are in the boat. The simply fact is the kids are watching, and they will ask 'why aren't you wearing you life jacket daddy...'. How do you answer that when you tell them they have to wear them. It is simply, lead by example.

Anyone remember the commerical where the 2 kids are in a boat looking at the water and the camera panes out which is when you see were dad is (I don't think I need to explain).

Mike
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

After reading the comments I'll need to rethink my view on this. I didn't think of the unconscience side of things. What happens if you are not wearing your PFD when the boat is stopped, a wave comes and knocks you off balance and you fall in, or hit your head on the gunwale as you fall in.

A good reason to ALWAYS wear the PFD.

See - we can teach old dogs like me new tricks...

Gerry