big gull lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
patience
Participant
Participant

big gull lake

Post by patience »

well , howdy folks
hope your season has been better than mine ( still got $o.90 fuel in tank)
hope you can help
going to big gull lake for the weekend , wouldn't mind a few tips as to where ?(pickeral, and lakers) as well as things ya don't wanna find with your boat (rocks etc)
any input is good input
thanks in advance
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Try P.M.'ing "Six String Hack", I do believe he's a regular @ Big Gull. :wink:

I've been on it a couple o' times, a big, beautiful lake. Lots of islands, bays, and water to cover. :?
We picked up a map from 'Camp's Bay Resort', good detail for a paper map (i think he only charged us 2 or 3 bucks) 8)

Caught some bass but spent most o' the time just exploring!! :shock:

Good luck & Enjoy!! :wink: 8)
Ronadt
Participant
Participant

Post by Ronadt »

After all this time lurking, finally I have something to add. We went to Camp's Bay for the week last week. While we didn't catch any walleye in our group, we heard of people catching some off the point north of Camp's Bay just at the opening to the west end of the lake, and just to the west side of Lone Island.

We also picked up a map from the store there & I noticed that the fish locations were all provided by fish-hawk.net. Small world!

Don't forget to check the map on this site, too.

http://fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic.php?t=135

Found lots of smallmouth & pike in the lake. And some monster sunfish for the kiddos. :)

Rona
brufan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

big gull

Post by brufan »

hi,
troll right in the middle of the lake slightly East of Kirk's Cove with Wally divers just before dusk and for a couple of hours. Should land you some nice walleye. Troll the small weedy bays if you want to catch them in the daytime. Use black/white floating rapala's which always produced for me.
good luck,
brufan
SixStringHack
Participant
Participant

Post by SixStringHack »

Get a map to find the rocks and shoals that aren't marked. Approach all floating bleach bottles and plastic ducks with care. Look at the land onshore near points and islands, if it is fairly flat or has a shallow slope, watch for rocks and shoals. If it is steep then there's probably a lot of water right up to the shore.

Good luck finding any lakers - the lake is pretty shallow except for a stretch from the large basin that is east of Camp's Bay along to the north shore of Long Island. I've seen pictures of lakers and muskie from the lake, but I've never seen a real one in the five years that I've been spending my weekends up there.

I don't troll or jig very often so I can't offer much help if that's your preferred method of fishing. Also I'm on the east end of the lake, and I'm usually only down by Camp's Bay to get gas or ice cream.

I have a Lowe FM175S with an Evinrude Etec, it is off-white with a red/burgundy stripe. Say hi if you see me on the water. Good luck and let us know how you did...

Palmerston Lake near Ompah is a laker lake and Crotch Lake (east of Big Gull) has a good rep for Walleye if Big Gull doesn't produce for you. Both have public launch ramps.
Ottawa
Participant
Participant

Post by Ottawa »

A few years late on teh response :wink: but I often fish Big Gull (actually the Little Gull portion) and have never seen a laker or heard of one in 20 years. Even the Walleye are becoming rare although Largemouth, Smallmouth and PIKE abound.
Using minnows in most weedbeds gets a hit each minnow, and if you set you end up with a Bass or Pike.
I am heading up with friends later this month to try Big Gull and teh little lake just North of the middle (Quebec Lake) using canoes and will stay over on that lake with a ministerial permit. I've never fished there but it has two dams and looked like a nice change.
brufan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

big gull

Post by brufan »

Quebec lake is awesome! The last time I tried it was back in '92 but everything was huge in there as there was zero fishing pressure on the lake. The bass and pike were vicious and hammered all lures. Beautiful little lake with a nice sandy island for a shore lunch. Please let us know how it is now!
Brufan..
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

Fished Big Gull years ago..when I was about 13.....i'm 23 now. dont remember catching anything, theres alot of fishing pressure as u know......

To everyone who doesn't know, It's a nice lake. but I seem to remember ALOT of rocks and sunken islands and dangerous boating territory. Be very careful on this lake, i think you have to be a cottager here to know the lake well and not crash! lol......I mean it's not terrifying or anything but it's very rocky and has a lot of islands I think.

It's a nice area up there, good place to sight see etc. That Quebec lake seems to be a better place to catch fish...should have great success.......take care!

Take Care!

===Tom===
Ottawa
Participant
Participant

Post by Ottawa »

Thanks for the tips on both Quebec Lake off Big Gull and the points on poorly marked rocks in the lake.

Even though the rocks are marked, twice I have seen a singe marker for rocks that spread out 30-40 feet from the marker (like 300 yards before the narrows going from Little Gull to Big Gull. I cleared the Javex bottle floatie by 40 feet and was right on top of another set (small ridge of rocks). I was going slow but could not stop in time and bottomed out.

I'll post some picks when we get back (we go up later this month).
SixStringHack
Participant
Participant

Post by SixStringHack »

FishingIsHealing wrote:To everyone who doesn't know, It's a nice lake. but I seem to remember ALOT of rocks and sunken islands and dangerous boating territory. Be very careful on this lake, i think you have to be a cottager here to know the lake well and not crash! lol......I mean it's not terrifying or anything but it's very rocky and has a lot of islands I think.
If you want to troll 10-50 feet from the shoreline while sitting in the back of your boat watching your fishfinder, then you are at risk for unmarked rocks and shoals on this lake. This is the Canadian Shield, and that means rock or rock with a little bit of soil over it. Visibility in the water is usually pretty good, if it looks light, it probably isn't too deep!

My suggestion would be to spend some time casting the shoreline and locating rocks before trolling it.

The western end or Little Gull does not appear to be any deeper than 15 feet anywhere, I've never fished it but have done a few cautious cruises around it.

The coloured map that you can get from local marinas is quite good. I think it might be from Adventure Fishing Maps...
SixStringHack
Participant
Participant

Post by SixStringHack »

Ottawa wrote:I am heading up with friends later this month to try Big Gull and teh little lake just North of the middle (Quebec Lake) using canoes and will stay over on that lake with a ministerial permit. I've never fished there but it has two dams and looked like a nice change.
Do you have to portage to get to Quebec Lake? I think I've been in the bay where you would head upstream to access Quebec Lake.
Ottawa
Participant
Participant

Post by Ottawa »

The guy from Frontenac county who gave us the permit said there is a portage around a dam which is why they have not checked the campsites in a few years. They check the ones out on Big Gull by boat a few times/year I believe.
Although I have a cottage way down on Little Gull, we had wanted an interior trip with a bit of hiking and will do it from Quebec Lake by towing the canoes up and anchoring the pontoon boat while we are in.
SixStringHack
Participant
Participant

Post by SixStringHack »

Sounds interesting. If you find any fish up there I might put one of my kayaks in the boat and visit Quebec Lake next summer. Let me know if the access is from the bay that is directly south of Quebec Lake or if it is from the bay that is just east of that.
Ottawa
Participant
Participant

Post by Ottawa »

Re: "Let me know if the access is from the bay that is directly south of Quebec Lake or if it is from the bay that is just east of that."

When you look at the site map for Big Gull you can see that what looks like easy access from the topographical, is not open on the site map.

http://lastoutpost.com/northfrontenacpa ... g_Gull.JPG
brufan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

big gull

Post by brufan »

From what I remember it was just a short hike to Quebec lake (flat) and I carried my 4.5hp outboard with me. When we got to the lake there were a couple of rowboats there (pulled on shore) and we just hooked up my outboard and were set for the day. Not sure what shape those boats are in after all these years so a canoe would be a good idea. Great little lake to pitch a tent on for sure.
brufan.