Camping at Sharbot Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
coolspiderdude
Participant
Participant

Camping at Sharbot Lake

Post by coolspiderdude »

Any advice as we head out this weekend? Looks like we will be on Black lake, from what I can read, looks like a typical area lake, Bass etc. Any advice would be appreciate, also is Sharbot worth the extra work of launching there? Ps being new to this, do you guys leave your boats tied up overnight? is there a theft danger if I lock the motor and the boat to the dock?

thanks!
Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

I've camped at Sharbot Lake probably 20 times.
That being said, I've only used a canoe on Black lake 3-4 times, all with limited success. Black lake has some nice rock points, but I found it shallow for the most part, and it does recieve a tremendous amount of pressure since it is so small. I may be wrong here, but I'm not sure that there is even much of a dock on Black Lake to leave your boat tied up. I think there is maybe 10-20 feet of dock, but no slips, and only a few tie-rings. That being said, Summer camping is pretty much over, so demand should be lower.
Black Lake has walleye, smallies, pike and panfish if I remember correctly.

Sharbot lake on the other hand, has a newly appointed "dog beach" where you can bring your four legged friends, and swim with them. The launch here is very nice, wide and deep. There are slips available that you can tie up to and leave the boat in the water. As for theft, I'm not sure if its an issue or not, but there lots of kids around, so I wouldn't leave any fishing gear lying around.
There is some great bass fishing available in Sharbot lake, and I'll be targeting the lakers and walleye there before the season closes. Personally, I would launch on Sharbot and enjoy the better opportunities avaialable. Either way, good luck!!
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

lots of small bass in Black and it's perfect for flyfishing or float tubing... you'll get some odd looks with an outboard in there... they haven't banned them but the nature lovers get perturbed with all the noise and smokey 2strokes... it's well worth your time to launch in Sharbot... get a chart of the lake if you don't have a Navionics card, there're a few ankle biters out in the middle of the west lake.
coolspiderdude
Participant
Participant

Post by coolspiderdude »

Well since I went, I thought I should write a brief report. Tons of little sunfish in black lake, great fun for the kids. Got skunked at Sharbot lake, nothing, nadda, was disappointed but still a great day on the water, lots of sun. saw a guy out there that really, really looked like bob Izumi's brother, funny. Anyways, not sure how others made out, but most I spoke to also had little to no action.
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Northern King »

Well I thought I would respond to your report as I as there also this past weekend. I didn't fish black lake at all but hit sharbot twice the whole weekend for a few hours at a time. We had my wifes cousin's son with us both times who is 4 yrs old so I was trying to pick some spots where he might be able to get some pannies while we would try for bass or pike.

We ended up with a couple of decent pike and a few small bass over the weekend so it wasn't too bad. I would have liked to have tried for pickeral and lakers but really didn't spend the time to fish for either all that much. Still an awesome weekend for fishing and a good time on the water.
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Buzzer »

Fished both lakes quite a bit...

Sharbot.... when the bite is off it's off. Nice Smallmouth and lots of them... think fishing patterns you'd use for Walleye in the spring... I found this out trying for Walleye :oops:

Walleye in Sharbot... never caught one good enough for the pan in there :cry:

Tried a bit for the Lakers, no success, but that's "Par 4 the Course" for me.... (Leadcore with a heavy rod, few times jigging and trolling with light line)

Walleye in Black Lake, no success and I've tried lots!!!! Very, very good population of Black Crappie... I let you know the locations if you want... just PM me.

Buzzer