Rideau River May 8th

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Rideau River May 8th

Post by Gord »

We went out for the season opener on the Rideau yesterday. Slushpuppy got a Smallmouth and I nabbed a Largemouth, Pike and Crappie. No Walleye at all. It was pretty cold for most of the day too. Might go out again today but not on the Rideau.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

By the way, did anyone else try the Rideau yesterday? If so, what were the results? I should have asked that before! sorry :oops:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

I went to Black Rapids. Someone caught a 7lb muskie and 2 5 pound pickeral. I caught a few small perch.

Cheers,

Scott
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

We saw something big jumping out of the water. I don't know what it was, probably a carp because it was sort of orangey. I don't know which Locks we were at, those places all look the same to me. Bowzog can tell you which one it was, that's where he caught the pike .

While we were fishing at the bottom of Manotick mill, a guy and his daughter were fishing off the top of the dam with those brightly coloured plastic kiddie rods. One of them caught something big. The rod wasn't strong enough to haul the fish up that high and he eventually lost it. Even from far away, you could see how disappointed he was.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

SP,

Ah, now I am even happier we got Tyler a "real" fishing pole this year. I can picture the same thing happening to him (losing a good one) and how disappointing that would be... :cry:

Glad you and Bowzog got out (and hooked a few!). I'm going to take my boy out to our lake to take some shore casts near the dam late this afternoon...after I get treated to a nice Mother's Day supper! Want to try out our new gear. Hope the rain holds off as it's still kind of dreary here today.

W.
Rich
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rich »

Dropped by the Mill at Manotick yesterday morning. There was a pretty big musky that snapped off after taking in a perch that was being caught, I'd estimate it to be about 12-15lb (could be bigger, the bridge is pretty high up and that thing was thick as hell). Also saw a family of huge largemouth, which triggered me to leave. As we were leavin, couple anglers got into a small largemouth.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

:)

Everyone should stay away from that dirty old Rideau River. Nothing there................honest..............pike all small, walleye all caught, no crappie, just rock bass and sunfish.

No muskie, bass, all gone,............Belive it or Not.

:wink: hava nice day.

Jigs.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Nice try Jigs :wink:

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!!><
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Rich wrote:Dropped by the Mill at Manotick yesterday morning. There was a pretty big musky that snapped off after taking in a perch that was being caught, I'd estimate it to be about 12-15lb (could be bigger, the bridge is pretty high up and that thing was thick as hell). Also saw a family of huge largemouth, which triggered me to leave. As we were leavin, couple anglers got into a small largemouth.
That is so cool! Would you tell me how I canb get there? I want try my lucky cast there too. Thanks
Rich
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rich »

I'm not all that great at street names, but I'll give it a try. You can take Riverside south all the way until you reach the Tim Hortons in Manotick. At the lights at the intersection, you'd make a right. You will first pass one bridge over the Rideau, keep goin past that bridge and right after that you will see a second bridge, turn left on that one. You can either fish off the bridge or walk down onto the rocks by the museum. There are signs posted as to where fishermen should go if they are going to fish from the rocks.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Thx , I will try to find the spot.
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Here are our results for Sunday (May 9, sorry for the late post)

Tried the Carp river, no bites whatsoever.

Tried the Mississippi.
Caught a small largemouth bass at the Galetta power station as well as a small walleye just downstream from there, across the road.
The best fish of the weekend is the one pictured. Pike at the Highway 17 bridge, fishing by the old bridge supports. Caught it on a chartreuse spinnerbait. The pike had followed the spinnerbait towards shore but wouldn't bite. It finally took it a few casts later.

.Shore fishing - no boat.