Oziles Minnows

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Oziles Minnows

Post by Jasonb »

I dont know about anyone else, but i find everytime i purchase minnows from Oziles they are dead before they hit the water, they all seem to die in the bag before i even have a chance to open it, they never stay in the bag more than 10-15mins, is there something wrong with the airation pump at the shop or wat? i've purchase 2 bags in the past week that had dead minnows in there before i left the store... if it happens again i dont think i'll be going back, im sorry to say but they were much better off at McArthur, seems like when i bought them at McArthur i could take them on a 40mins bus ride in my back pack and they'd al be ok, but now, i goto Oziles, and they're dead within 5mins... i'd love to support the business, but unfortunitly, i cannot waste more and more money...

JaY
pikeman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pikeman »

Hey Jason, I buy minows from Ozile's at least 2/week. I have no problem. You need to invest in a aretor minow bucket from CT. $29.99. I have had them last up to 48 hours in the winter in there.

Pikeman
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

When he was still in business here in Brockville, Jack Sheppard use to put O2 in the minnow bag. You could toss them in the 'fridge for a couple of days and they'd still be bouncing off the bag when you'd pick it up.

Maybe someone needs to mention this to the owner.

DropShot'r
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

they had that at the McArthur location... worked GREAT... but they dont add any O2 to the bag at Oziles... everytime i get a bag of minnows theres no air in it... this may be my problem...

JaY
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Jasonb wrote:they had that at the McArthur location... worked GREAT... but they dont add any O2 to the bag at Oziles... everytime i get a bag of minnows theres no air in it... this may be my problem...

JaY
Hey Jason,

Next time you buy minnows from Oziles', mention that you want some O2. They will put a thicker bag and fill it up with O2, which will make the minnows last much longer.
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

also watch the temperature...I'm betting the water in the tank is very cold...if thats the case then you need to make sure you keep the bag COLD. warming water will kill them for sure
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Andy_L wrote:also watch the temperature...I'm betting the water in the tank is very cold...if thats the case then you need to make sure you keep the bag COLD. warming water will kill them for sure
True. Ideal to keep minnows alive would be to invest in a aerator and bucket like pikeman mentioned, throw a few ice cubes in there and you're good to go for the day.
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

i put them in a bucket with a few ice cubes already to regulate the temps, as the water is very cold, but the airator should do me some justace... im not trying to bash oziles or anything, just trying to figure out what im doing wrong or if its not me, then maybe something might need to be fixed, i just dont wanna be the guy who's thought of as a bashin type person, i'll get them to throw in some o2 next time... thanks for all the help everyone...

JAY

wishes of good fishing to everyone
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

Best thing I find is to keep your minnows in this:

Keeps a stable temp and watertight when transporting.

Just make sure to crack the lid a bit to keep air circulation once in a while. But it keep smy minnows alive all day, winter or summer. I find in the winter the water will freeze even with the best minow bucket cause of the lid design, or when transporting it in a vehicle, the water will splash out the lid of a reg. bucket.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I've had the same issue with ozile's. You have to ask for oxygen in the bag. I think every minnow purchase should come with O2, like they do up north. Never had to ask for oxygen with my minnows before I moved to Ottawa.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

O2 isn't free so why would they put some in every bag , and you walk out to the boat and dump the bag in the livewell. If you want some O2 ask!!!

Minnows don't like temperature changes so you have to make sure that you can keep the minnows in the same water temp. Using ice , cooler or whatever is needed. And they need good oxygen level in the water. So agood aerator will go a long way.

The big reason that I use minnows mostly just in the winter time or opening season of walleyes.
bait girl
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Minnows

Post by bait girl »

Sometimes it's hard to keep even the best minnows alive. I always ask the customer if they come in with a bucket how far they are going if they are traveling more then 1/2 hour I will bag them and oxygen is a given with every purchase of minnows.

It also helps to put the bag in a cardboard box to keep them cool even covering them with a towel in the car or truck will help.

The best for travelling long distances minnows bagged w/ oxygen thrown in a cooler with ice should last a day or two.

I think all the bait shops that sell minnows do their best to make sure the minnows arrive alive to your favorite fishing hole.

Baitgirl :wink:
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

here's bait tip for ya'll.

if you have a nice oxygenated bag with minnows, leave the bag on its side, not standing straight up....

it'll keep the minnows lasting almost twice as long.

here in hamilton, we charge for the oxygen if the customer wants it.
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

thanks for all the help everyone, i'll just ask for some O2 next time... no big deal... at least i know and have some new knowledge as to how to keep my minnows live longer...
thanks for all the help...
JAY
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I never have trouble with minnows from oziles, mind you i grab my minnows and go directly to the launch.