Tyler's Trophy - Detailed Report & Picture

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Tyler's Trophy - Detailed Report & Picture

Post by wolfe »

Well, the student has outfished his teacher, and it didn't take him very long to boat what we confidently feel is his first certified nickel.

It was dusk and I was starting to get into the eyes, but we were wrapping things up as I was on my own with the boys and like to be back to the dock by dark.

Tyler initially thought he was snagged and then actually got a little freaked when his drag peeled and he set the hook into this behemoth, feeling the weight of something that outclasses any other bass he's tangled with. He called out to me, "Mom, I need the net, it's big!" and I turned to see that this fish was ENORMOUS. I never moved so fast in my life as I dove to loosen his rear fighting drag just a bit, as the brute was now heading DOWN fast and Ty's rod was bent in half.

It buried itself into an enormous pile of weeds, and just stopped moving... and I thought for sure it was lost. The boat was being wind-drifted over the weeds in the resistant direction, so it was a mad scramble for the trolling engine to right ourselves and get back ahead of where the fish dove in...then Shane assisted and dropped our anchor on command and assured me his super vision could see the fish down there ("because he eats carrots" :wink: ).

We got the fish out of the weeds, only to have it dive in again, but this time it was successfully brought up, with the weeds (!!!) and somehow I netted this entire armload of fish and salad.

I really thought my heart would explode and to say my hands were shaking was an understatement.

The line then broke and the hook popped out as if greased, but now we had the baby safely aboard for a super quick measurement (22") and a quick pic from -- get this -- my cell phone, as I had left the digital camera home. On board was a "dummy camera", and those 2 pictures are pending. I hope they're better than the quality of the cell phone pic.

We don't have a scale and I don't care to weigh fish, but I lifted it and I can tell you it certainly equalled the 5-lb. bags of sugar I've hefted as a baking Mom all these years :wink: . (I welcome your opinions, however.)

Technically, I guess to be called a "trophy" you'd have to have kept it for the wall, but this beasty was released and to see it swim away was a great feeling.

We are just as proud as can be of Tyler! He looks like a born and bred angler in that pic, and he handled himself like a pro, right down to lipping the fish with a sure grip and supporting its massive belly for a memorable pic even though he was shaking like a leaf.

What a memory to be shared by me and my boys for always. I smile whenever I think of those moments and look at the picture.

And the fish lucked out a little too and is once again back where it belongs. :D :P :D

Wolfe (and "The Torpedo" of course!) :wink:
Last edited by wolfe on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

Wow! :shock:

If it's bigger than the dog's head, it's a definite trophy.

Congrats Torpedo. 8)
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Congratulation on that fish Tyler :D . Me I just dream of catching bass like that :) .
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

That is a great fish! What a gut on that beauty.....

Congrats to Tyler and Mom for the great net job.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

22 inch

heavy like a 5 lbs of sugar...

i call that BEAST a 6 POUNDER!!!

just look at that BELLY! :shock:

im truly :shock: about this story!
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

HUGE FISH
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

good job buddie
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

What a great story, and such an awesome catch, Tyler!!! :lol:

You look like a true pro holding that huge fish, and kind of remind me of a pint-sized version of Kevin Van Dam...

That is a trophy fish - no doubt about it! And just think, Tyler - you can catch that beast again this fall when he is even bigger! :shock:

You should be a proud Mom, Wolfe. This is what fishing is truly about!

Congrats,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Wow :shock: That can safely be called a "hawg".

Great teamwork :!:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

This report just makes me smile....I can only imagine the scene in the boat!

I truly think that is the best fish....not just bass....the best fish posted on FH all year.....truly a special fish....and a rarity in reality....

Congrats Ty....get that pic blown up for your wall buddy....start your own Wall of Fame...

My best guess....I'll give it an honest 6 plus....it doesn't really matter anyways.....

Man oh Man!...Great stuff... :D

RJ

P.S. Ty....keep an eye on Shane....I see he can catch em too... :wink:
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Double, Triple, Quadruple.....Quintiple....Kaaanickle!!!

:shock: YOWZERS :shock: Way to lean into that badboy Tyler!

Congratulations y'all :wink:
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

WOW :shock: Congratulations Tyler! That is one big bass... like RJ said, blow up the pic and put that up in your bedroom... it'll put a smile on your face this coming winter buddy!

Don
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

that fish is such a hawg! CONG Tyler , nice work !!!

wait until you get bigger arms and can actually hold it out to make it look bigger!
welcome to the nickle club!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

What a nice fish there Tyler!!! IT'S HUGE!!!!!!!!!
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

CONG DUDE...........that's the biggest on FH this summer I'd say!!!

And caught by one of the youngest members as well!!

Good work bud....

Now when mom and dad are trying to tell you how to fish, you can turn the cards and tell them how to catch fish!!!!!