Clay Bank Launch

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Clay Bank Launch

Post by High Noon »

Hi Everyone,

I just got the news that a buddy of mine can make it out tommorrow morning for some fishing.

We will be launching at Clay Bank in Arnprior on the Madawaska. We have only fished it once before without any luck. Our targeted species will be Bass and Pike if they choose to cooperate.

Is it better to head towards the damn or go the other way towards Stewartville?

Any help at all would be very much appreciated. My luck has been in the tank lately and I would dearly love to catch a few bass.

Thanks

High Noon
Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

I was out on the headpond this weekend, launched at clay as well. We went towards the stewartville dam, but didnt boat any big numbers. On the way up, there is a weed bed on the right side, you cant miss it, it goes from 30 feet to 4 feet in seconds, we caught a nice smallie there, and although we thought we'd get some walleye farther up, even with the current, it was quiet, so we motored back and tried some bays across from the launch. We had some nice largies there, and a muskie topwater hit and miss. Across from there by the shoal, we nailed a Nickel+ largie, pics and report coming soon...we didnt have a scale, but this fish is definately in the 5-5.5 range.
I've also had success on previous outings under the bridge, by the point near the Boeing plant, and down around the far end of the lake where it channels into a river at a farmers dam.
Good luck out there.
worm31
Participant
Participant

Post by worm31 »

Hey I've fished near the claybank boat launch all summer, with a lot of success. I find that the bass sm and Lm are very predictable on what they relate to. If you think a certain fallen tree or dropoff will hold big fish it most likely will if not consider changing to a finesse worm. Was out on Monday and boated 5 picture fish in the span of an hour and a half before the storm...3-4 pounds sm and Lm using a white/char spinnerbait along weed edges and a finesse worm under and around fallen timber. Further down towards the Arnprior dam their are numerous bays to tuck into and one bay in particular I've seen several Largemouth come out of there well over the twenty inch mark.
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by High Noon »

Thanks for the tips guys. I am just back from our trip and we caught a decent pike, several small bass, had one monster bass get off when he screamed down into the weeds on me, had another monster completely miss my Moss Boss, and landed one smallie weighing in at 2lbs. 9 ounces.

That would be the second biggest bass I have ever caught. That's right the second biggest.

All in all a great day except I forgot the sunblock. The old face is a bit in the cooked side. But hey 2lbs. 9 ounces is worth every bit of the tingle of a good facial burn.

I will try and figure out how to post pics in the next day or two. We have a new pc and the camera software hasn't been loaded yet.

I will try your tips the next time we hit the Madawaska.

Thanks again for the help

High Noon
washwater
Participant
Participant

Post by washwater »

Way to go High Noon! There are some bigguns in that piece of water. cant wait to see the pics!!!
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

Good to know you made off well at the lake......

Get a photobucket account it's great for pictures, makes it very easy to put them up for everyone to see.....

Usually for camera you can just plug the USB into the computer and the other part into your camera and turn it on, and it will automatically let you get the pictures out of the camera and onto the computer.....

Take care,

==Tom==