How would you approach this?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

How would you approach this?

Post by Tip-up »

Fishing smallies

9:00am Cloud covered skies, 20C

Water is lower than average

Water temp above average -

Back side of the rocks transition into sand, big boulders and isolated weed patches and depth ranges from 5-9FOW

Infront of me it drops off into 16FOW into a small basin off of the main channel.

Whats your first target area? Baits of choice?
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

Tubes... one tube somewhat weightless... just a splitshot about 10" above weedless flippin tube, or a tubejig.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

9AM.....sounds like it's time for another coffee blueberry pop tart #2. :roll: :lol: :oops:

I'd start back and out from where your positioned. I'd throw a Super Spook Jr. along both sides and I'd also bring the spook across the point at 90 degrees. I'd then move in a bit with a 3 1/2-4in. tube rigged with a 1/16 or 1/8th oz. Bass Pro Shops XPS interior tube weight and a 1/0 or 2/0 Gamakatsu wide gap hook. Than I'd finish off the front of the point
dropshottin' a 4-5in Yamamoto single tail grub.

DropShot'r
OTRA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OTRA »

Rebel Crawdad, then switch to a Wacky worm.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I would position at the edge of the rocks in front of you or even get onto them hitting all sides with a Gold Black Booyaa blade with a black 3"grub trailer on the hook...Just got into these and have been working pretty good for me so far in all types of structure. The sand bottom with weed lines and boulders intrigues me a bit...maybe a good ole crank or spinner blade slow retrieved thru that or a 4" tube jig danced along the bottom. Just starting to hunt for bass where as before I would cast and catch...Big ones I have found need to be hunted.
rfunfarm

Post by rfunfarm »

One stick of Dynomite thrown into deepest hole should get them all.---If not --a white & black roostertail spinner with silver blade worked on the edges followed by a Creme natural colored 6" worm dropshot and crawled across the bottom.--If that fails try 2 sticks of Dynomite. :lol: :lol:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

NOT TO FAST.... :lol:

joco
bruce
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bruce »

are u testing us tip? you know what to do !
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

I'm not sure........I would use a variety of lures.......start with curly tailed jigs.....chartreuse colored......if that didn't work I would switch to senko worms...........any color, but the type with salt and stink to them......Venom or the Garlic/Salty ones....

Then I would switch to medium sized tubes..

I would work around the pile of rocks.......hitting as many different places as possible..i would not do more than 2-3 casts in the same area..........

I would hit asmany places as i could......with one lure, then repeat with different lures and techniques....

I would jig the 16ft deep part excessively too.....jig very lightly though....almost keeping it stationary in the water....

But really? U know what to do haha.........Why are u asking us?

i'm probably not the person to ask because as u know all i catch are Rock Bass!

:lol:

==Tom==
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I would probably back-off considerably and send in a few topwaters first, given the time of day, cloud cover and calm water conditions. The tube rod would come out next incase nobody was home on the first knock at the door. I'd continue to work the tube at the drop into sixteen feet of water, out front. If no takers, I'd move along to cast the five to nine feet of water with boulders and weeds....again with a tube. Maybe burn a spinnerbait in the area to the right of yer shoulder?

Did I win a prize? :lol:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

:o :roll: :shock:

O.K so I have fished this spot a hundred or or more times...

I just wanted to throw that out there to see ''how you would approch this''

Intresting replys... :roll:

Jig head and I usually creep along the back side and start waving spinnerbaits and chugbugs over the submerged rock. It's not hard to find a target to whip your bait out there too. Usually just fan them out there looking for active fish...It's not a spot I would fish at the crack of dawn...

Opposite side of the rocks around the riffle - Working from deep to shallow, the tubes and bitsy bugs come out. Usually make a few passes along the deeper drop first then cast right to the rocks with a crankbait or 4'' Senko.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, my avatar picture was taken directly behind me in the 1st picture :P
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

I'd fish it with a type III full sink fly line and crayfish patterns. I'd slow strip the fly making sure to bounce it off the underwater rocks and boulders.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Salar wrote:I'd fish it with a type III full sink fly line and crayfish patterns. I'd slow strip the fly making sure to bounce it off the underwater rocks and boulders.
Fish heavily feed on crayfish in this area. Mimicking them is the way to take them...browns..greens..orange..red

Thanks Salar.
worm31
Participant
Participant

Post by worm31 »

Great idea for a post Tip Up

If there is large population of crayfish I would use a deep diving crankbait in crayfish pattern and bang in along the contour of the slope with pauses for the aggresive fish then use a finess worm for the sluggish. Then cover the shallower water with a white/chartruese spinnerbait, maybe even a soft swimbait?

Ian
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Tip-up

We've got a spot quite similar on Otisco Lake, called the "causeway".

The thing that gets bass in the boat more than any other presentation for me at this particular area is a weightless 6" worm, TX rigged. I actually smack the rocks with it, or come very close to doing so, and let it just sink down the side of the jetty ever so sloooowly. Someone's usually waiting, and BAM!

Heehee...I like that kind of fishin'!

W.