Are trolling motors worth fixing?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Are trolling motors worth fixing?

Post by Hoser »

Minn Kota 710, 42 Lb.bow mount It turns left and right but just get a click...sounds like a relay...when I want the prop to spin. Are these things throw aways or worth getting repaired if it even can be?
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Usually, yes!

Post by Cancatchbass »

There is a Minn Kota Authorized Repair Centre in Kingston. Most parts in stock. Will often fix your unit while you wait. PM me for details, if you want.

CCB
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Certianly worth looking into a repair as some models run from $500 to over $1500 and it sounds like it could be something minor.
Rideau_Lungehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rideau_Lungehunter »

Hoser...let me know if you get it fixed...I have the same problem with mine.

Expect to take a look at this weekend and if it looks like trouble, might be taking a drive down to Kingston.
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

There is also a Minn Kota authorized repair facility in Hull as well.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Repair centres

Post by Cancatchbass »

One very important thing to keep in mind when dealing with any "Authorized Repair Centre" is the extent of their inventory of parts.

Take your motor to a centre with minimal parts inventory- I believe the minimum Minn Kota will allow is $2,000., which doesn't allow for very many parts- probably a couple of shoe boxes full. :shock:

The reason I mentioned the Kingston facility is they keep in stock a minimum of $20,000. in the most commonly needed parts.

It seems some parts often are back-ordered, and, when available, have to make the sometimes long journey from the U.S. to the Canadian head office (where many common parts are stored), then to the service centre. If the part you need is not sitting at the service centre, and you need to be on the water within a few days, you could be working down your honey-do list instead of fishing.

I believe the Kingston facility will also supply loaners (I think so, anyway :lol: ) if they are unable to complete the repairs on the spot, while you wait. I didn't test that out, though, since mine was repaired-on my boat- while I waited. :D :D :D

CCB
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

This has suddenly become a non issue for me. The G/F just bought me a new one. :D Who says pouting doesn't work?

Anyone want to take a chance on the old one? Dunno if it's a $20 fix or a boat anchor, but the first 24 coors light that show up at my doorstep takes it.
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Steve G »

I will have an extra 24 of CL at Muskrat,,,but will this be the first??? :cry:
trexellunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by trexellunge »

I have the same choice to make regarding my old broken trolling motor (OMC). It's over a decade old, but it's a foot control that I'm comfortable using....I don't even have to think about steering while I'm casting. If it doesn't cost too much, I think I'll get it fixed. I know I'm getting old when I resist change. I bet the new foot controls have made quantum leaps in improvements...maybe I'll get a 2nd boat and keep ol' sparky, along with buying one of the new fancy dandy motors to boot! I'll spend $10,000 on a new boat to save a $200 electric motor! Now that's the kind of math I can understand.
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

My minn kota started doing the same thing as hosers did last night.. left and right are fine but when prop should be turning there is just a click.

It is a minnn kota power drive 55pd about 4 years old

Anybody have the same problen and if so what was the fix?

CCB can you provide me with some more info on the repair shop in kingston that you mentioned?

thanks
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

jale....I haven't done anything about mine yet, but talked to these guys on the phone. Good bunch and know their stuff.

THE PROP SHOP
800 BURNETT ST
KINGSTON, ON K7M 5V9
Tel: 613-634-7033
Fax: 613-634-7033
Email: thepropshop@bellnet.ca
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

thanks hoser

I just spoke with them on the phone and they seemed to know what the problem was.

He said it was the board and it is $220 plus tax..ouch

thanks guys

now i have to decide to fix it or replace it??

thanks
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

I ended up with a new transom mount 38Lb thrust for about what it would have cost to fix the old bow mount. Works great, but a bit of a pain to keep the boat going straight if it's windy. The worst part is I have to sit in the back of the boat and whoever is with me gets first shot at the fish. Guess that's where the skill comes into play eh? :D
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Minn Kota Maxumm 50

Post by Seaweed »

Hi I have a used unit if anyone is looking in to replacing theirs. I had it posted for a month on the Classified but got no bites. I am looking for $250 and I will throw in the extension handle too. It is a transom mount. New alligator clips included also because the old ones are wearing. Good solid package that pushes water like crazy. I just don't need it on my new ride.

PM me if interested.
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Hoser

I have a 38lb Minkota Endura on my 14 Ft Springbok Pro Series. It is a transom mount but I use it on the bow.

My casting deck is even with the sides of the boat. A piece of steel angle with a piece of 2 x 4 bolted to it makes a nice bracket. Bolt that bracket to your deck, parallelle to the side of the boat. Once the motor is attached to that bracket, you now have a bow mount. The head of the motor needs to be rotated 180 degrees so the propeller point in the right direction in relation with the handle. It simply a screw that you pull out, rotate, and re-insert the screw. Store the battery under the deck. Works awsome.

I can post some pictures if you want.

Let me know