kids and fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
earthshine
Participant
Participant

kids and fishing

Post by earthshine »

Would anyone have any suggestions where one could take two kids shore fishing in the west end. Easy access and plenty of small fish?
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: kids and fishing

Post by curls »

earthshine wrote:Would anyone have any suggestions where one could take two kids shore fishing in the west end. Easy access and plenty of small fish?
If you have a boat (or want to rent a small one), Constance Lake is chalk full of pike, anywhere from 2 to 13+ lbs. Some largemouth bass in there too.

Just toss white spinnerbaits and repeat... you'll catch lots of pike for sure!
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Kid'zz fishing

Post by Big Jim »

Andy Haydon Park has great access of Carling Ave. and lots of fish...Heck...I even got a bite there. :D

BIG JIM...hangin' in.
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

Dow's Lake is accessible from Carling. Panfish is plenty very close to the shore. My kids like this spot the best.
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

How far west? If you are in Kanata, I started my kids at Shirley's Bay. They can fish from the rocks and there are lots of small perch and pumpkinseeds. When they get bored they can go swimming. Be sure to take lots of worms as these fish take small bites.

Gerry
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

gerrymackenzie wrote:How far west? If you are in Kanata, I started my kids at Shirley's Bay. They can fish from the rocks and there are lots of small perch and pumpkinseeds. When they get bored they can go swimming. Be sure to take lots of worms as these fish take small bites.

Gerry
Isn't fishing prohibited there due to shooting range?
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

if you fish on the other side of the fence on the base it is, otherwise you can fish all along that parking lot and head east along the shore line
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

No restrictions if you are on the public side of the fence. Once you get into the DND property itself you are under their rules. We always stayed close to the boat launch and fished off the big rocks. The kids would sometimes wade out to their hips and fish from there. The bottom is mostly solid rock and has good footing for them.