Giving my brand a run for its money!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Giving my brand a run for its money!

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I am a Loomis guy through and through. I use Loomis rods for bass, walleye and muskie. I got alot of them!

Well after some discouraging things I have seen come out of the Canadian reps, I have decided to give another company a go.

I got my mitts on a new Kistler LTX 2 and a Kistler Magnesium Crankbait rod.

The KTX 2 feels awsome in your hand and I hope it stands up to my GLX`s!

As for the magnesium crankbait! I can`t wait to shore catch some nice wallies with this un!

I`ll keep you posted on how they work out.......may switch brands here!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Going tonight to buy a G Loomis for the first time :D :D

8) 8)
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

A few guys have mentioned that G-Loomis and Shimano are one in the same. IE: Shimano bought G-Loomis years ago, and that the blanks from the different Shimano rods are the exact same as the ones in various G-Loomis rods at double the price. The differences might be in the guides (marginal), handles (grade of cork), or warranty (cannot confirm).

My good friend and fishing buddy loves his G-Loomis rods but has a new Kistler Helium and LOVES it.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Ahem....

Your friends are mis-informed a bit.
Yes Shimano did buy Loomis. However, Loomis still operates independently. Compre and Crucial rods are indeed Loomis blanks and they retail only slightly cheaper than the GL2 and GL3 models they are comparable too.

Use the IMX and GLX and some of the Bronzebacks and Mossy backs and you will notice a HUGE difference! Cork, guide, rod, etc.

I`ve been using Loomis solely for the last 2 years and I absolutley love them! Just dissapointed in some rep type decisions I do not agree with. I will not go into detail as I do not wish to bash Loomis. They make a phenomenal product.

On another note..which Loomis rod are you buying?
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

G-Loomis blanks are not Shimano blanks. All the G-Loomis species specific blanks are hand made on spindles and hand assembled in the USA and are built to the finest details. I am a walleye angler and love the action of the specially designed walleye series of rods. The engineers at Loomis designed the action of the rods based on input and feedback from some of the best professional walleye anglers in North America. No machine made rod can achieve just the right taper and action for walleye or any other species. The WTR-941 is one of the best trolling rods on the market and can pull dipsys, in-line boards, lead-core, bouncers and long line cranks - I have a rod locker full of them.

I can't speak about other rods as I have never had a reason to try them, I just wanted to set the record straight about G-Loomis rods.

-sheldon
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Sorry guys, if I relayed bad information, I apologize. I heard it from an area retailer (who shall go unnamed) that carries both Shimano and G-Loomis, as well as a friend in another city.

I think Jamsers might be right about the mid-level G-Loomis rods using Shimano blanks or vice-versa, but yes, the highest end Loomis ones are probably 100% different and 100% more costly than the Shimano's at the upper end.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Sheldon is 100% on the money here!

There is no comparison between Loomis and Shimano.
Shimano does make some very good rods and the price is excellent.

The Crucial is rumored to be a GL blank. It is considered Shimano`s top of the line. However at $150-$170 (I believe) I`d spend the extra $50 or so and get a GL3. I have one and love it!

The WTR941 is an awsome trolling rod for Walleye.

It all depends on the level of angling you do and what you want. When I am out fishing for 9+ hrs I like light sensitive rods that will not fail me and let me feel the slightest changes in structure and weed growth. I use my fishing rod to tell me what I am casting into and where weed beds, rocks etc are.

More expensive rods do not make you a better fisherman, but they make the experience alot more enjoyable!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

To quote Jamsers before Sheldon has spoken.

"Compre and Crucial rods are indeed Loomis blanks."

Then, after Sheldon has spoken...

"The Crucial is rumored to be a GL blank."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

eye-tracker wrote:G-Loomis blanks are not Shimano blanks. All the G-Loomis species specific blanks are hand made on spindles and hand assembled in the USA and are built to the finest details. I am a walleye angler and love the action of the specially designed walleye series of rods. The engineers at Loomis designed the action of the rods based on input and feedback from some of the best professional walleye anglers in North America. No machine made rod can achieve just the right taper and action for walleye or any other species. The WTR-941 is one of the best trolling rods on the market and can pull dipsys, in-line boards, lead-core, bouncers and long line cranks - I have a rod locker full of them.

I can't speak about other rods as I have never had a reason to try them, I just wanted to set the record straight about G-Loomis rods.

-sheldon
I had the pleasure of watching Paul Shibata give a presentation at our MCI meeting on Loomis rods including a short film showing the MFG process from where they are made (factory tour) and which materials , to shipping to retailers.

I was very impressed with the highest level of workmansip and material Loomis uses.
Def not Shimano blanks and every rod is maticulously hand crafted..

I own several and love em...amazing product.
cccp
Participant
Participant

Post by cccp »

I have 2 imx, one glx, and one gl3.
From my point of view: if you are on the market for hi-end rod, than Loomis is the way to go. But i would never buy gl2 or even gl3 for the price they want for it. There are a lot of options on the market.

And i am NOT impressed with
highest level of workmansip and material Loomis uses
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I can admit when I am wrong...sheesh!

It is a common rumor that these 2 rods use lower level blanks.
I have been told this in many fishing stores who sell both Shimano and Loomis.
Therefore very easy to understand this. I wasn`t the only one.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

cccp wrote: And i am NOT impressed with
highest level of workmansip and material Loomis uses
Ok...I'll bite...why not??

According to the video, the selection of the blank material is hand picked ...all the employees are extensively trained and every rod is thoroughly inspected...at several stages of construction... :?:
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

[quote="Jamsers"]Sheldon is 100% on the money here!

The Crucial is rumored to be a GL blank. It is considered Shimano`s top of the line. However at $150-$170 (I believe) I`d spend the extra $50 or so and get a GL3. I have one and love it!

The Crucial was the high end rod but now Shimano has released the new Cumara for this year. These new rods are amazing quality, super light, very sensitive and nicely priced(209-249 depending on retailer and model) I have used G-Loomis rods and was impressed but I find Shimano very good for the money and easy to replace if you have a problem. I find G-Loomis is a little more spread out in it's dealers which could make it difficult if you have problems.
cccp
Participant
Participant

Post by cccp »

muskymatt

I am not talking about blanks. This ones are great. But I would expect at least Fuji Titanium guides on glx series. Reel seat is not Fuji as well, despite the fact it is bearing this logo. There are no shims or reel seet arbors under the reel seet. Just epoxy and cork.
Speaking of quality. Employers are extensively trained to produce more rods in the same giving period of time. This is how the market works. Isn't it ?