is dows lake fish polluted?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
pigeon
Participant
Participant

is dows lake fish polluted?

Post by pigeon »

Is dows lake water polluted? Can you consume fish that catch from dows lake? legal to fish in dows lake?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Dows Lake is the Rideau River....so it is no more polluted than the rest of the river....it looks worse to some because it is a shallow water basin where weeds get chopped up and float around....

You could eat fish from it with no issues...I don't...but I only eat fish caught in early spring and thru the ice...

And yes it is legal to fish in there...

Good Luck down there...the "scenery" is Fantastic!
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

If you won't drink the water, why eat the fish?
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Not polluted, but I have heard that the water melts holes right thru whitebuckets. :lol: :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Pints wrote:If you won't drink the water, why eat the fish?
By that thinking I guess we should never eat a fish.... :roll:
Dustin
Participant
Participant

Post by Dustin »

fish are living organisms that excrete wastes, therefore they are relatively safe to eat. True they bioaccumulate furans, dioxins, pcbs etc. However, consuming fish is not riskier than consuming other animal products (for instance cow meat and milk contain hormones and antibiotics, and also think about the nutritional value fish offers vs. that of meat).
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

FYI apparently there was quite a high mortality rate in Dows Lake this winter presumably due to the weight of the snow on the ice, pushing it down and trapping fish. Wasn't just limited to sun fish and the like but included bass and muskies also.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Lunker Larry wrote:FYI apparently there was quite a high mortality rate in Dows Lake this winter presumably due to the weight of the snow on the ice, pushing it down and trapping fish. Wasn't just limited to sun fish and the like but included bass and muskies also.
Winter Kill...it happens in other shallow waters as well. The ice freezes near or right to the bottom trapping and killing any fish in the area.