Black Rapids on the Rideau

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kifler
Participant
Participant

Black Rapids on the Rideau

Post by kifler »

Howdy all!

I'm more or less getting back into fishing. Last time I cast a line out was about 10 years ago when my neighbour and I used to go to fish up by Fitzroy to Mohr Island on the Ottawa.

I'm going out hopefully this weekend and am stuck on shore. I'd like to check out Black Rapids on the Rideau but I don't wanna get get stuck fishing an unfamilliar area. What species are there to snag, whats the area's bottom like, and where should I cast? (I'm assuming into the current right below the Dam).

Cheers!
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

well i've only ever seen some decent carp come out of Black Rapids... i tried it out once throwing spinnerbaits and whatnot last summer but no hits... but there were many ppl bottom fishing for carp and doing really well... if i was to go there again i'd definatly bring some corn and worms...

JaY
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Kilfer,

You have the possibility of catching pretty much anything at Black Rapids
(panfish, carp, perch, bass, walleye, pike, muskie)

The bottom structure below the dam is bedrock and broken rock. Above the dam it is basically mud flats. If you're fishing artificials below the dam I would fish under the assumption that the depth is at most 4-5', in order to avoid losing gear to hang-ups on the bottom.

If you're using live bait, just use enough weight to get it down. Fishing with floats is another good option.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

I have to say that i honestly haven't had much luck fishing there at all. I caught a nice size carp there a year ago, but thats about it
kifler
Participant
Participant

Post by kifler »

Todd B. wrote:Kilfer,

You have the possibility of catching pretty much anything at Black Rapids
(panfish, carp, perch, bass, walleye, pike, muskie)

The bottom structure below the dam is bedrock and broken rock. Above the dam it is basically mud flats. If you're fishing artificials below the dam I would fish under the assumption that the depth is at most 4-5', in order to avoid losing gear to hang-ups on the bottom.

If you're using live bait, just use enough weight to get it down. Fishing with floats is another good option.
Awesome. I had a bad long weekend up in Calabogie at the Dam. Lost about 5 lures to the bottom.
zarbat007
Participant
Participant

Post by zarbat007 »

I was there this afternoon testing my trolling motor. :lol:
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Hey I agree with above...

There's lots to be caught all over at Black's Rapids...

Personally I've caught quite a few nice walleye fishing there.

In fact, my last trip out, my buddy caught a 4lb 3oz walleye from the other side of the dam (above).

I saw a gorgeous pike come from underneath the little footbridge at the far South West corner...

And heard many many stories of some Muskie there too...

Try it all...fish it all...and good luck!
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

I caught a cat, and of course panfish above the dam there. But it is a puzzler to me why they charge for parking!