Setting the hook or ?????

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Setting the hook or ?????

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

Listen iv been fishing for pike every night after work and all week ends since openning day!

and i realised that im missing LOTS of hits!

WHATS GOING ON!

DO I KNOW HOW TO SET A HOOK! :evil:

this is getting on my nerves!

my ratio is 1/4 hits

is that normal this time of the years???

got brand new northam spinners so dont blame it on the hooks not beeing sharp! :x

any tips would be most apreciated!

im getting SIC to my stomac missing all these pikes! :evil:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

mabe you over do it.

there not bass.

they set themself up..there attacking your bait. :wink: .

you are mabe prying your lures out off there mouth. :?

but you still doing ok bud.. :wink:

joco
farmerkid
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by farmerkid »

Man, your not the only one!!!

I thinks its bass addict that told me that you (not referring to you) miss alot of hits on spinnerbaits when fishing pike. I guess they must be side swipping it, if they'd be coming from behind you'd probably get alot more hook-ups.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Got any trailer hooks? :wink:
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

OK, what are ya usin? With a minnow I just open the bail and let him take it for a few seconds, then just close the bail. Usually hook him good that way. With a lure I find either he hooks himself on the strike or doesen't, it's natural to try to set the hook but it introduces slack and they can get away that way. GOOD LUCK, JOE.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

1/4 are hits

1/4 are weeds

1/4 are branches

1/4 are your imagination.............. :P :P :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

24/7

I dont think you need to set the hook on spinner baits. They are pretty much 'chuck n wind' baits. I think the only thing you can try is a trailer on the spinnerbait as per TipUp's suggestion. Personally, I have never found the hook up ratio for pike on spinnerbaits to be a problem -- bass on the other hand....

The problem with pike is that they coil up and attack the baits at high speed, and they seem to have very bad aim. Especially the little guys. This is why you will get some strikes where the fish never came near the hook. Not to mention those little hammer handles that follow the bait back to the boat, and then jump out of the water when you pull the lure out of the water. Always makes me jump.. Damn pike..

Fox
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

i know exactly how you feel i have missed sooooo many hits on spinnerbaits im just gonna have to start putting trailer hooks on 8)
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Trailer hooks can up the chances of getting those short biters. The time of year does not really seem to matter. If there swiping at it and missing it chances are you could be pulling the baits a bit quick and out of reach of the fish or there not that aggressive and not wanting it. When I notice I am getting more follows than hook-ups then switching to another lure that works a bit slower usually does the trick. Husky Jerks and jonted Rapalas are great tools for presenting a slower presentation to those fish. Watch out though, they tend to swallow those whole :lol: I was doing that a lot until I started to fish spinnerbaits for bass on windy days. If you feel weight then set the hook. I could not see half the fish.

I rarely fish spinnerbaits for pike but when I do I make sure to have a trailer hook hiding amungst the skirt on my bait. Not only will it help you catch land more fish but will give you that added side of confidence. Northam spinnerbaits are fairly heavy and burning them to keep them just under the surface can be very tiring. Try throwing a spoon :wink:

I have a bunch of Franks spinnerbaits and love them as well. Don't forget to sharpen your hooks though :wink: :wink:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I think all essox are like this.
Last summer I had a nice low 40's muskie continuously follow a spinner bait I was using. I sharpen all of my baits so that the hooks suspend off of my thumbnail (so they are REALLY sharp!!!)

This fish would only side swipe, and very lazily at that. It followed figure 8 after figure 8. But just wouldn't strike aggressivley.

However, another time I was fishing muskies on the Rideau and a pike came out from under the boat and just slammed the spinner! The bait was a foot from the boat so all I had to do once it bit was lift the fish into the boat. I was fishing with Mr.J and he and I were laughing for a good 10 minutes at this.

My point is that when pike want it, they'll take it. If they are semi-keen it'll be alot harder.

Patience catches more fish than any bait, rod or reel...........

Although we seem to lose it faster than any lure! :roll: :lol: :lol:
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I don't use trailer hooks on spinnerbaits anymore because more often than not it ends up in the guts of the ones that do hit it solidly and I don't really care if yet-another-hammerhandle swings and misses. Big pike don't miss very often.

Chucking big spinnerbaits (and deep diving crackbaits) is easier on the arms using a lower-geared reel. I use a Calcutta with a 5.8:1 ratio or an Abu with a 5.3:1 ratio for big spinnerbaits on a 7' MH rod.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Tip-up wrote:Husky Jerks and jonted Rapalas are great tools for presenting a slower presentation to those fish.
I really like these two baits for pike as well.
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

One thing with spinnerbaits is that I've been told that you should only use mono with them... to allow for some stretch. Apparently braid is a bit too stiff and to get the hooks to set, it's better if there is stretch to the line...

Not fun if you're huntin for toothies.. but maybe put a couple feet of high-test fluorocarbon on the end of the mono for a bit of abrasion resistance...

Just what I've heard!
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

Hey guys .... yeah yestersday i was a lil mad!

but today its another story!

with all your tips and technique iv learnt something verry usefull

yes i do fish with fire line.. ( braided)

iv heard about mono streach beeing a key for sure hook setting!

and like some of you said ! when the pike are hitting there just NAILING it!

fallow in's and nibble are a sing that the pike arent active...

hey when there on they hook there own dumb self! and its true what you say they dont have any aim! :lol:

next time i go pike fishing wich is NOW or TOMMOROW! :lol:

ill bring some two jointed rapala's , spoons , and ill try other things than spinners!

yes there number 1 but i cant always be throwing this lure! im not evolving! !

Thanx again for the tips

and just you wait the next report wont be rockets , or hammer handles! 8)

24/7
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Don't need to him them hard...Just pick up the slacker and keep steady pressure...If they slash at it, you feel the hit but they don't stick them selves just keep reeling in...they will come back most of the time.