Please tell me it ain't so

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Please tell me it ain't so

Post by Jigs »

Just checking out the regs (Thanks Rider), for Area 18, and realized there are no size limits posted for bass.........nowhere!!

True?

One can keep any size?

:shock: Jigs.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

i dunno i dont eat bass!
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Hey Jigs,

As far as I can read, the old minimum size on bass was removed during the simplification of the rules this year.

Im not sure the removal of the size minimum will change very much -- most lakes have more than enough dinks that removal of a few wont cause too much harm, IMO of course. Not to mention if you ever had an 11 incher swallow a hook ..

Fox
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Just to confirm, there is no longer a minimum size for bass in Ontario. This was removed in the new regs.

Mike
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

Thanks guys; Quite a few changes made over the last little while.

So, I suppose, if you DO keep some bass to eat, and DO keep a few dinks, at least now you don't have to get your t.shirt all smelly sneakin them home, eh?

Not to mention fin punctures in the armpit....... :lol:

I don't usually catch that many or that small (lol) that I have to worry about it, having had a C" licence for the last few years, it makes no matter to me.

The "pailers" who show up with all their kids and in-laws and keep most everything will be ecstatic over these new regs. God bless em.

Have a good'un.
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Hey Jigs,

Yeah the new regs have a quite a few changes -- just look at the confusion around the Ottawa R opening later than the inland lakes for pike/walleye.

I think the reason for the minimum size limit removal was purely to simplify the rules. The old rules had minimums in some regions, not in others, and different closing dates in 15 or 29. Was a pain.

Unfortunately, yes the bucket crew will be able to legally keep smaller bass. Its likely that individuals who would do such a thing would do it if it was illegal as well.

Fox