Question - Black Flies

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jcorrigan
Participant
Participant

Question - Black Flies

Post by jcorrigan »

Ok guys, here's a new one...

My wife is a landscaper and she reacts badly to most chemicals insecticides. She's been using the OFF Botanicals bug lotion stuff but in her words "They swarm up, start laughing, then bite the hell outta me"

Anybody got a trick or two up their sleeve for her?
beeman
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by beeman »

I know that some beekeepers use a sheet of Bounce fabric softener under their hats and claim that it works to keep the biting flies away. Don't really know if it works, but may be worth a shot, and it will smell nice all day long.
jcorrigan
Participant
Participant

Post by jcorrigan »

I had suggested that too Beeman...then I got 'the look' and was reminded that the smell of Bounce sheets gives her migraines....

I appreciate the thought though...
Priorguy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Priorguy »

hey jcorrigan I wold recommend garlic as it works well for me in the outback when I am fishing. Your skin naturally secretes what you ingest and if you eat plenty of garlic they tend to stay away.

Just a thought...

Priorguy!
rfunfarm

Post by rfunfarm »

Garlic tablets----game-set-match
Priorguy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Priorguy »

yep.. thats them.. they actaully work for me especially afta a night of bozzen... cause as you know that comes out the pours the next day!

Priorguy!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

It's not a magic bullet, but black flies are supposedly attracted more to dark colors. More specifically, they can more readily hone in on a dark silhouette. So wearing lighter colors might help a little.

I hate the little #$%&*'s. They drive me nuts. :x Thank God they don't last all summer.

Anyone ever hear the Bill Staine's song, "Little Black Flies"? It's funny.

W.
TrollingThunder
Participant
Participant

Post by TrollingThunder »

I don't know if this is an old wife's tale, but I heard bananas attract mosquitoes and black flies if you eat them just before going out...anyone ever hear about this one, or am I just crazy haha?
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Skin so Soft from Avon.

Biggest thing try to avoid working up a sweat. They are attracted to CO2 so the more you sweet and breathe the more you will attract
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

found this bit of info online...

(Black Fly) Control
Black fly control is difficult due to the highly migratory adult stage and their extensive breeding habitat. In terms of personal protection, choice of clothing can be important. Black flies are highly attracted to dark colors, so wear light colored clothing. Light-colored hats that cover the ears are an important precaution. The repellent DEET (diethyl toluamide) is somewhat effective in preventing black fly bites, although swarming gnats may still be annoying even when using repellent.

Larval control is practiced in some areas where chronic black fly problems occur and breeding areas are known. This involves metering of Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis into the flowing water where larvae occur. Trade names include Bactimos and Vectobac, the same products used for larval control of mosquitoes. However, as previously noted, the breeding sites can be many miles away from where the adult insects are causing problems.

Adult control is problematic, again due to the migratory behavior of the insects. It is likely that permethrin-based products are among the best. These are effective against most fly species and are labeled for use in mosquito control and for fly control of livestock.

More Info...

Unlike mosquitoes, black flies are day feeders. Biting attacks tend to show some periodicity. During sunny, warm days peak attacks occur in mid-morning and then have a more intense phase in evening, ending at dusk. However, biting greatly intensifies at the onset of storms and may persist all day when overcast conditions occur.

Black fly attacks on people, cattle, horses and pigs tend to be concentrated around the ears and head. In addition to the blood loss, effects of the insect saliva can cause a variety of problems, with swelling and intense skin irritation most common. Allergenic asthma, nausea and more systemic effects can also occur, a condition known as "black fly fever."

W.
beeman
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by beeman »

TrollingThunder wrote:I don't know if this is an old wife's tale, but I heard bananas attract mosquitoes and black flies if you eat them just before going out...anyone ever hear about this one, or am I just crazy haha?
Isoamyl acetate is one of the compounds that gives bananas their smell. This is a fairly common component for insect pheromones. For example, honey bee alarm pheromone (alerts them to sting) has isoamyl acetate and smells kind of like bananas. It is possible that the black flies are associating to this chemical as well but if you catch a small wiff of it in a beeyard, you know you are in for fun. :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by beeman on Sat May 10, 2008 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

I found this site.....might be worth checking into:
http://www.predatorpee.com/Merchant2/me ... y_Code=BUG

DropShot'r
jcorrigan
Participant
Participant

Post by jcorrigan »

I don't know if this is an old wife's tale, but I heard bananas attract mosquitoes and black flies if you eat them just before going out...anyone ever hear about this one, or am I just crazy haha?
Nope...not crazy...last year she used take a lot of fruit in her lunch to keep hydrated etc. Towards the end of the year she cut back on it and voila...not NEARLY as bitten.

I hadn't thought of the garlic tablets guys...that makes perfect sense!
lars56ca
Participant
Participant

Post by lars56ca »

try using a bar of carbolic soap..I buy mine at the local health food store.
just rub the dry bar of soap where ever you need the protection. Works like a charm for me, but everyones body chemistry is different. Good luck
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Will have to check out that carbolic soap, especially as it seems to work for you.

My husband just got back from our cottage and said the black flies were absolutely horrendous. 'Tis the season! :?

W.