planerboard tips?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

planerboard tips?

Post by banjo »

A question from a planerboard newbie....
Does anyone have any tips on using a planerboard like this one? I have 2 that were given to me, they were home made. I quickly tried tying it to some dacron line and let it out beside the boat... it just seem to trail behind the boat sideways pushing water. It never really went out to the side. The faster I went the more it seemed like it was going to dive. I picked up a couple of line clips that I planned on connecting to the planer board... is that the correct method.
Do I need to place the eyelet in a different spot? Closer to the front? Any tips would be appreciated, these things have been sitting in the shed for a while and I'd love to use them.
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

For a dual planer board like this you need a planer board mast.

The mast allows the line to be picked up out of the water and a handy way to let out and retrieve the boards. The mast also angles the line down to the board which allows the clips to slide down towards the board (away from the boat).

Check the link on what a planer board mast is. Mast like the dual spool Big Jon run for about 350 bucks. Not cheap but if you do a lot of planer board fishing it is well worth it.

I try to make a mast my self but never got it right.

With all thta being said the board still should run right with out the mast. If the board is sinking the eyelet may be too low on the board. Remember the board can only be used on one side of the boat. The board pictured looks like it goes on the driver side.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mike
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey Banjo

I tried to run a in line planner board like yours off my electric downrigger :oops: The cable was to heavy and was catching the water all the time!!I bought a Big-Jon duel reel mast ..I havent tried it yet (Boat in the shop) You may want to get hold of King-Me, he is a expert on in line planner boards!!!

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!!><
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I built my own mast and it works great. Not at first though, the trick was using the proper line and having the mast 6 to 7 feet high. Now I have no trouble letting out 150 feet of line.
Jamesh
Participant
Participant

Post by Jamesh »

Drill a hole one inch inch front and one inch behind of the eyelet and move the eyelet to either hole and give that a try.Adjust to the other hole while on the water and just compare notes as to which one runs better. That is what I have done to my homemade job like yours.
taylor
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by taylor »

BigO, I woud have never thought to try that. Too bad it didn't work, it would have been a cheap dual option instead of purchasing a mast.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Taylor, any particular reason yer digging up 4 1/2 year old threads?? :? :? :? There's 6 in a row :shock:
taylor
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by taylor »

Just researching a few topics.