what is the law????

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
thundercraft
Participant
Participant

what is the law????

Post by thundercraft »

Hello.
When on your boat is it okay
to have beer in your cooler?
I know you can not have open beer on board
but can you have it in your cooler for going to cottage.
thanks ..
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Transporting Alcohol (Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario):

Under what circumstances is it illegal to transport beverage alcohol?
It is illegal to transport beverage alcohol in a motor vehicle, a motorized snow vehicle or a boat unless the beverage alcohol is in a container that is unopened and the seal unbroken, or unless the beverage alcohol is packaged in baggage that is fastened closed or is not otherwise readily available to anyone in the vehicle. In a boat, the beverage alcohol must be stored in a closed compartment.

Impaired Boating (Transport Canada Aug/2005):

Boating while impaired is an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada. The laws are enforced by local, provincial and federal police who carry alcohol-screening devices on the water.

Upon conviction for the offence of impaired operation of a vessel, or of operating a vessel with more than 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, a person is liable of the following:

1st offence - a minimum fine of $600
2nd offence - imprisonment for not less than 14 days
3rd and each subsequent offence - the maximum sentence for these offences may vary depending on provincial statutes.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

So that means in an opened case it's okay. Back in my younger days I used to open my beer cases from the bottom so when I had them in my back seat they looked like new cases. Got to remember this was 30 years ago. Man I'm old!!!!!
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

we posed this question to a CO that was here at the office a week or so ago. As long as there's nothing OPEN and its in a cooler...you are fine. We asked in reference to going somewhere to a beach etc...and it was pointed out that drinking there wouldn't be allowed though, as its a public place. but going TO a cottage etc with beer in the cooler would be perfectly fine according to the CO
thundercraft
Participant
Participant

Post by thundercraft »

Thankyou for the info.
Have had different answers over this question
over the years.