Opinions on possible boat purchase

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Opinions on possible boat purchase

Post by gonefishin »

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking to purchase a boat for sometime now 14-16 foot aluminum. I seem to be just shy of a new utility type boat with a livewell and as this is my first boat I am trying to purchase something fairly new. I have the chance to buy a 2005 14 foot Lowe AN 14OT Sea Nymph with a 20 HP Honda 4 stroke electric start with trim and tilt and 3 lowe seats. My question is; what do you guys think of the LOWE boats and is a 20 HP Honda 4 stroke sufficient for this boat. I want to fish places like Petrie and Muskrat Lake (I don't imagine this boat would be suitable for BOQ). The purchase price is about 7500.00 so any opinions would be welcomed. Anyone reading this who has something around the above price range that they are thinking about selling could PM me as well.

Thanks
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

too much$$$$$

PM sent
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

I had one with a 30 hp evinrude 4s (no tilt or trim) manual start

it was speedy enough 25 mph with two people.

Problem with the boat is that it was very tippy. If you look at the hull it has rounded edges (where the hull meets the sides).

Also 7500 is what they sold for new ( I am assuming a trailer is included) no more than 5000. Sounds like it is coming from a dealer.

You can do better!

Check out these
http://www.legendboats.com/en/view/boat/14_prosport_sc

http://www.legendboats.com/en/view/boat/16_prosport_sc

upgrade to a 20hp is only 999$ more.
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

Don't forget that that price is not final, they will add rigging as well.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

check out usedottawa.com

there are some very good deals on there right now, more boat than that for that kind of money.
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

Just make sure that those are actual deals not "imaginary deals" :)
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

lifeisfun wrote:Don't forget that that price is not final, they will add rigging as well.
You hit the nail right on the head!!!!!. The boat starts out around 6500.00 then I want to upgrade the motor to a 25 HP 4 stroke and then add your rigging, prep and tax and I'm at 10,000 before buying any extra's (fish finder...etc). I'm not saying that the boats aren't worth it however my price range is around 8500.00 - 9000.00 everything included (taxes and hopefully a fishfinder and trolling motor). I guess I will have to keep looking.

Thanks to everyone else for taking the time to respond!!!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

gonefishin,

PM sent. We're selling our Crestliner...

Happy Hunting.

W.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

lifeisfun wrote:Don't forget that that price is not final, they will add rigging as well.

Most dealers add rigging and delivery onto the final price of new boats. This is negotiable as is the price of the boat.

if you really want a deal go south!
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

Did you ever purchase boat from US ?
Not that easy :roll:
Spend the time working and buy the boat here :lol:
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

Did you ever purchase boat from US ?
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

I used to work with LOWE as Pro Staff and they make a decent product for the value (like Legend). The one thing I would be worried about is that your boat would be horribly underpowered with a 20 Honda. Honda outboards are one of the most durable engines out there ( you can poor dirt in the carbs and they still run(not recomended LOL)). The draw back is that Honda is basically running the same motor as they did in 1964 which translates to no power.
The Lowe you are looking at weighs about 675lbs if it is the model I am thinking of and the engine weighs 115lbs, add you and a buddy, fishing gear and gas and you will have a very hard time getting on plane.

There is many good deals out there on usedottawa.com as mentioned above and at dealers as well( FRT and PDI costs only occur on new riggs or re rigging not on used products (at least where I work)).

Buying private can save you on the GST but you may get taken for a ride if you don't ask a lot of questions before you buy.

PM me if you would like more info on what to look for in buying a boat new or used.

JP
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

normware wrote:

Most dealers add rigging and delivery onto the final price of new boats. This is negotiable as is the price of the boat.

if you really want a deal go south!
I am not sure, maybe it's the fact that I am looking at smaller less expensive fishing type boats OR I'm a horrible negotiator (HAHA) but I have not had much success in getting them to come down on the final price of the boat.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

As per my pm, gonefishin...the price that you see qouted from the dealer link I sent you is true, excluding taxes...no other hidden costs.... :wink: ......that's the reason why I decided to drive the distance i did....it was well worth it....

I phoned the local area dealers and they couldn't touch the price that I bought the boat for....I remember locals telling me "they can't be sellin that package for that amount...they're losin money" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yet...they're still in business and one of the top dealers in Ontario....
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

lifeisfun wrote:Did you ever purchase boat from US ?
Actually both normware and myself have bought boats from the states and it all seems very straight forward so far.