Opinions on possible boat purchase

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

:lol: :lol: I just sprayed a mouthful of beer through my nose and all over the monitor!!! :lol: :lol:
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:I'm still curious what BA edited??? :shock: :lol:

Whoa, Whoa, slow down chief.............

Just thing of the beer you just wasted :shock: :shock:

I brought up that,,buy from the local guy '' Motto ''

And was quickly told to stick it................ :o :o
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

One thing you want to consider if buying or bring in a product from the US is that some warranties will not be covered. Yamaha Canada will not warranty anything brought in from the US and nor will Honda Canada. Mercury and Evinrude are not effected but there is a warranty transfer fee that comes along bringing in a boat from the states.

With the low US dollar many dealers are purchasing boats at the same price as the US dealers. In some cases we are selling the products cheaper than US dealers because of bulk volue discount (we purchase 20 of one model of boat/motor/trailer and we are 10% lower than US).

You have to be a smart shopper. Stay away from older non current models since many dealers purchased these at a higher dollar value and may not be willing to take the loss but with the new product being purchased at even or bellow par the savings is better.

MLS was right that in the states that boat sales are way down and companies (manufacturers) are scrambling to drop prices or add value like free covers, spares, upgrades to off set the problem. Many of the companies have turned to Canada and the strong market place to promote these savings. For example Brunswick Marine (Mercury, Crestliner, Lowe, Princecraft, Lund, Motorguide, and many more) are lowering prices bellow US dollar in Canada to move product.

One last thing to consider that if you ever run into problems and need service that Marinas generally will take care of their own customers first as a reward for thier support. If there is time I don't know of any place that will turn away business but there may be a longer waiting period for repairs even if it is warranty work.

Just my 2 cents

JP
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

What an attitude

Post by mikemicropterus »

:D Again with the attitude if you don't buy it from me I won't service it or I will make you wait... THAT SUCKS and forget about warranty.. :evil:

JP that's funny about yamaha and their warranty, I just emailed a guy who bought from the states and he says yamaha will honor his warranty... :? .

I don't think I have ever heard of this practice and it doesn't make ANY sense....I'm vacationing in Canada and my Yammie brakes down and I have to take it back to the states that doesn't amke any sense at all..... :?

BEWARE of the dealers who practice this EXCLUSIONARY policy....Don't give them your money...If they make you suffer make them suffer...

After all it's called CUSTOMER SERVICE not DIS SERVICE :wink:

I would and never did that to a customer and it doesn't surprise me that some dealers in this area take that CHILDISH ATTITUDE to potential customers ....

THIS is one of the reasons why it is difficult to find good service in this area, but you heard it from JP, if you didn't buy it here then you are second class and will have to wait becuase you didn't buy it from us....EXCLUSIONARY AND CHILDISH...

What a way to promote the industry, especially to a new buyer,, I gotta stop now before I really loose it on this subject....

READ the warranty and if it does say the dealer in another country can't do your warranty work,,, DON"T BUY THEIR PRODUCT because they obviously don't want to support your purchase.....

They certainly don't do this with cars or I must have lived under a rock because I have never heard of this..EXCLUSIONARY WARRANTY OR SERVICE......You didn't buy it from us so you will have to wait......MY ANSWER BITE ME :D :D :D

Actually I'm starting to see the humor in this NOW :D :D :D 8) 8)
Last edited by mikemicropterus on Mon May 12, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

JP wrote:but there is a warranty transfer fee that comes along bringing in a boat from the states.

One last thing to consider that if you ever run into problems and need service that Marinas generally will take care of their own customers first as a reward for thier support. If there is time I don't know of any place that will turn away business but there may be a longer waiting period for repairs even if it is warranty work.

Just my 2 cents

JP

Warranty transfer fees are on used boats - Not New!

As for service we have gone through this before.

I just don't see how I need to be rewarded for buying something from your dealership. If thats the case, I will drop byand buy some oil making me a customer therefore I'll be rewarded with great service?

JP is that 2 cents in this years dollars or last years?
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope your post doesn't get edited mike... sometimes the truth is brushed aside.

If a company openly advertises that i would be made to wait like a 2nd class customer should another customer come along then you'd never get a single cent of my business. Any company that would openly admit to doing that obviously cares very little about those people who are trying to support them. In reality does it happen possibly but no one admits to it.

I was told directly from yamaha usa to take it to a canadian dealer and get them to contact yamaha usa directly... (like mike says just as if you were a us customer in canada looking for work to be done)... He said if there are any issues you are still fully covered in the states and could always drop it off to a dealer in upstate ny. Which happens to be near gananoque.

The fact is perhaps we'd all be better going to the states for our marine work after all who knows how long we'd have to wait :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just be glad you don't buy a new boat and it comes with dead batteries you'd be really screwed then ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Not jumping to JP's defence but I've also been told that by a few others.....

IMO.....the marine service industry is a joke....Ever meet anyone that is really happy with the service they get?.....I know of two....one of them way overpays for his winterizing and any other work done.....and the other spent an assload of money on a boat....

My next service ( I hope not to have any)...will go to Mike...he's 2 minutes from my house.... :lol:
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Norm wrote

I don't know of any marina that treats anyone like a second class person.
Warranty transfer fees are on used boats - Not New!
Sorry Norm I miss read your last post. You are correct on some models of boats that the hull warranty is transferable there may be a fee.

As for YAMAHA there has been many problems with warranty work. YAMAHA US has told some customers that Yamaha Canada will cover it. The only way that Yamaha Canada will cover it is if you pay to have the work done an then YAMAHA USA will compensate you. Call Steve Duffy the warranty rep at Yamaha Canada and ask. He will tell you the same thing as we just went through this with a customer.

JP
Last edited by JP on Sun May 11, 2008 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Well the fact remains when it comes to the marine business and even the automotive business there's a lot of different views out there. Heck we can't all agree that gm is better than ford :lol:

We've all had good and bad experiences but there's always two sides to every story... and the chances are we nearly always hear about the bad but rarely about the good.

I think we would all agree if you are happy with the companies which service your vehicles both on and off the water then continue to support them.

As boaters all we ask is for a little recognition that we're choosing to spend OUR hard earned money at a place which values us using them in turn helping them stay in business.

A happy customer who receives good service is likely to buy a boat from that company. The person who has already bought a boat may never buy another boat for 10 years. So by bumping customers to the back of the queue surely that's pee pee off the very people you want to impress.

(Trying to keep this general as this thread is starting to take on a personal note) :roll:
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Pass it on

Post by mikemicropterus »

:D Norm :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Reality sets in again...... :wink: :wink:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential