Walleye Opener

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Rideau_Lungehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Walleye Opener

Post by Rideau_Lungehunter »

So ... the opener is just a weekend (or so) away.

Since I normally would be fishing for pike on that weekend, I would like to enhance my knowledge by learning how to catch a walleye or two.

I`m not asking for locations, just looking for something that catches fish ...bait or general location ...

I fish the Rideau and have only caught walleye by mistake.

Thanks for any info you real (reel) walleye fishermen care to share. :)
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

the only advice i can give you is to PM fish-finder!!

hes a hawker here a MASTER walleye fisher man

i dont fish walleye! 8)
patience
Participant
Participant

Post by patience »

without doubt , you could try the bay of Q
good baits are ; taildancers or jigs & minnows
Leechman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Walleye Opener

Post by Leechman »

Rideau_Lungehunter wrote:So ... the opener is just a weekend (or so) away.
Since I normally would be fishing for pike on that weekend, I would like to enhance my knowledge by learning how to catch a walleye or two.
I`m not asking for locations, just looking for something that catches fish ...bait or general location ...
I fish the Rideau and have only caught walleye by mistake.
Thanks for any info you real (reel) walleye fishermen care to share. :)
Thanks 24/7 for giving me a new title.... quite honoured but I'm not a master :lol: Just an avid fisherman :wink:
The most important thing is to locate structure if you have a boat and electronics... concentrate on fishing the drop offs.

My favorite baits are leeches, worms and minnows. There are different combination of presentations you can use such as jigs, rigs, bottom bouncers, etc.... also different ways of fishing them (i.e. trolling, drifting and still fishing) just depends on your preferences.

For me I like still fishing and work the bottom slowly with a jig+Mr Twister and worm. Retreiving it and just barely scraping bottom will entice a hit.

Most often you will feel a bump when they strike with the jig going down. That is when you set the hook.

Favorite jig colors is chartreuse or white... again it all depends on your preferences.

As for location I cannot help you on that one...
Good luck on your hunt for eyes!

Fish Finder
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Yeah ......Rideau Lunge- Hunter

The Master you want to talk to is .......'' Eye Tracker ''

Walleye Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I fish with a walleye rig , baited with leeches ,, or working a chartruse jig
off the bottom

As far as location ,you can always try Lake xxx :wink: :)
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

We had good success this weekend at Hay Bay on the Bay of Quinte. Many of the guys there knew the waters well but were coming up empty-handed. We caught a good amount of nice eating size walleye, as well as my 6lb 4oz one on Saturday morning. :)

Of note was that 95% of the guys there were fishing tail dancers, Bomber Long A's, and other various crankbaits. All of those guys were basically skunked.

We were using worms. Little joe's (Chartreuse or firetiger, and even a copper blade one), as well as a basic Lindy Rig, worked wonders for us. We started by trolling and drifting the 20' deep areas (marking fish at about 18' - walleye!). One of us was using a crankbait, the other using a litle joe with a worm. The worm caught fish, the crank baits didn't.

As for where to fish walleye, it depends on the lake. Rocky lakes - look for windy points, sunken islands, and areas of dropoff/depth changes near weedbeds. For the BoQ and other muddy areas with little/no rock, the flats are awesome on windy days. Find 10-20' of water and drift with your lure, then troll back and do it over again.

We caught the 6lb 4oz, 27.5" one in about 23' of water on the windy side of a point. Most of the other walleye were eating size (1-3lbs) and were caught on the flats in extreme wind and large 2-3' waves.