Spiderwire Stealth

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

I agree with the others and have bought and used a spider wire product once and never again(high memory!). I have been using power pro and trilene fire line with no problems or regrets (other than it cost to friggin much). One tip about the braided lines I would like to share is to use mono as a backing line, much the same as in fly-fishing. This serves two purposes 1) it prevents line from spinning while on the reel and 2) it cuts down on the amount of braid you use to spool up. One last thing I have been doing is after a season or two my fireline gets a we bit frayed so I take it all of my reel and put it on backwards so the frayed line is within the spool and the unfrayed line is the end I tie onto. Have had three seasons out of my fire line and power pro line so far and I fish bull rushes and slop a lot which can be hard on any line.
Last edited by Iceman on Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Well and truly hooked!
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Iceman,

Great tips on how to keep the costs down.

All,

No comment on the Spider line as I have never used the stuff.

In terms of braided line I have used tuff line, fireline and power pro. All are good.

I just wanted to comment on Power Pro. The reason it is so popular is the aggressive marketing that they have done. Many more people have heard about Power Pro but not other braids. With that being said Power Pro is a great product but try not to be blinded by the aggressive marketing.

If possible please state why you are dis-pleased with a product. Simply stating a product is no good isn't very helpful for those who haven't tried the product. I would suggest trying to be specific in the problems that the product lacks. For example, no knot strength, the line frays, not abbressive resistant, high memory, high stretch, etc.

Cheers,

Mike
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Sorry guys, haven't rig up with the stuff yet. I find the Ironsilk to be amazing and untill i loose faith then I may switch.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Probassing,

Good point as to stating WHY we like -- or don't like -- a product. Well, I do hate the Spider wire product, as mentioned. Reasons are the same as what Iceman and also Markus stated: high memory, it feels stiff & rather unresilient and you can actually crimp it between your fingers after a while. When it comes to fishing line, kinky is not a word you want to hear.

W.
Canucks Fan
Participant
Participant

Post by Canucks Fan »

For the people who likes fireline, are you guys using it on baitcast reels?
I used fireline on my spinning reel and that stuff is horrible. It comes off like a spring coil and when I retrieve it, it wouldn't even wrap onto the spool properly. So I like Power Pro much better. One thing about power pro is that it is too visible. So I usually tie on a mono leader when doing finesse fishing, but tieing the uni-to-uni lock with bugs eating your finger is a pain in the butt. :(
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

guys and gals,
Well you are going to have to fil me in on the bug situation??? Two seperate times there was a comment about bugs in your power pro.....maybe I am missing a joke or something and at the expense of possibly sounding very stupid can someone explain this to me? I am also using power pro on all my reels and am very happy with it. The only downside I have come across is the fact that if you get any bad backlashes at all there not coming out.
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

orrsey, I think what Canucks Fan means by "bugs" is black flies or mosquitios.

Canucks
I've been using Fireline on both a low profile baitcaster and a spinning reel for the past 3 yrs and have had no problems so far(knock on wood).
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

orrsey, are you refering to my comment about the flees when salmon fishing?
jonybass
Participant
Participant

p-pro

Post by jonybass »

After several break-offs,a pro suggested I change from mono to p-pro.
What a difference.Great sensativety and hardly any break-offs.
You should re-tie after about 40-50 casts because sometimes it wears
down.Once you fish power pro,you wont go back to any other line!!!!
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Canucks Fan wrote:For the people who likes fireline, are you guys using it on baitcast reels?
I used fireline on my spinning reel and that stuff is horrible. It comes off like a spring coil and when I retrieve it, it wouldn't even wrap onto the spool properly. So I like Power Pro much better. One thing about power pro is that it is too visible. So I usually tie on a mono leader when doing finesse fishing, but tieing the uni-to-uni lock with bugs eating your finger is a pain in the butt. :(
Hey Canucks fan
Yes I am using fireline (and power pro) on my baitcast reels and would never switch back to mono for my slop fishing or Musky trollin. Also absolutely hate braids for ice fishing as the frays hold water, which freezes (Ha almost forgot about ice fishing for a minute!). Last year the tubinator turned me onto P-line which I have in 2lbs, test and up, in my opinion beats all other non braids for low memory and stretch and is tough as !@#$%^&*.
Well and truly hooked!
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Canucks Fan-

Post by Cancatchbass »

CF- I've been using Fireline since it was first introduced several years ago. I use 4 lb. on my ultralights for crappie fishing, and 20-30 lb. on my pitching/flipping rigs. Absolutely no problems. I don't like it for casting-horizontal presentations on baitcasters, though- such as spinnerbaiting. I had too many problems with the line snapping mid-cast. Went back to good ol' 14 or 17 lb. XT for those presentations.

jonybass- if I had to re-tie after every 40-50 casts, I'd be switching lines in a hurry. :shock: Some days, that would mean re-tieing a dozen times or more! What do you mean by "it wears down"?

CCB
Canucks Fan
Participant
Participant

Post by Canucks Fan »

Orrsey, yes, by bugs, i simply mean mosquitos and the rest of their annoying family members...

Andre, CCB, and Iceman:
hmm, that's interesting, becoz the spool of fireline that I had was bad. Maybe it was my application? It was 10lbs test and after spooling it I used it for float fishing for crappies. Becoz of the lack of tension that is caused by the slack line that sometimes exist between my reel and the float, when I reel in the line, the line won't wrap onto the spool properly. But this problem don't exist with PowerPro. And when I feel the fireline with my fingers, it is not nearly as soft and as memorless as Power Pro. And when I cast, the line comes out like a coil of spring from the spool, and my distance was greatly reduced.
By the way, there is now an improved version of fireline that I saw on the BPS catalog. It has the blue logo instead of the usual red logo. Have you guys tried it and is it really improved (or just a marketing gimmick)?
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Spiderwire

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

frasej wrote:I use Powere Pro great stuff. Picked some up last night at Wal Mart in Kanata $19.00 for 150 yards.
JIm
I just did that last Thursday too!....Good stuff :!:
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Great ready for the latest fad in fishing lines....Flurocarbon...It has been around for a while but has gone relatively un-noticed.

The advantages of Flurocarbon are simply this, it is invisible in the water because the flurocarbon does not refract light like Mono. Also, flurocarbon has way less stretch than Mono.

I used the Berkley Vanish this weekend (14 lb) and found that it is a bit stiff. My problem was the 14 lb was probably a bit high for my application. Could have went with 10 lb. Still in the process of determine if I like it though.

Fireline
XDS

Berkley does have a new brand out, fireline XDS. It is extra durable and is round (regular fireline is oval).

Also keep in mind fireline has been improved this year.

Cheers,

Mike
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Hey Mike, I'm a big fluro freak myself, but I think it's a waste to spool a whole reel with it. I just use it for leader line.