A car stereo in a boat?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

A car stereo in a boat?

Post by M.T. Livewell »

OK, the marine stereo which came with my boat (3 years old) is already showing signs of aging. You turn the volume knob and you can hear the crackling sound. And I cannot get an AM signal.

Question, could you use a standard automotive car stereo in a boat? I like the idea of having a remote, and never opening the stereo cover except to change CDs perhaps, so as to keep it out of the elements.

Am I fooling myself to think this might work? Car stereos have come a much longer way than their sea fairing bretherin.

thanks
M.T. Livewell
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

M.T. if you are looking for leading edge Marine stereos check out Clarion...these are pretty amazing and I would say they are ahead of most car units, but they come at a price. :D

http://www.clarioncanada.com/english/pr ... ory=marine

BTW most car stereos would not put up with the damp conditions of a boat.
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

you are right a normal car sterio will work. I'm not sure but i think marine sterio's are siliconzed to keep the rain from penetrating. One of my buddy's has had a normal car streio in his boat for years, he had me make a little awning out of plexi-glass for him and it works like a charm! Hope this helps! cheers!
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

I can not help you with the signal strength but can help you with the volume crackling.

When you get a crackling sound when you rotate the volume knob you probably have a dirty volume potentiometer. What you need to do is take your stereo out and take it apart and spray some electronice cleaner in the volume potentiometer. While it is apart give it a spray in the tuner knob as well as this may help out the reception as well as if these knobs get dirty internally you can not get your electronic connection to properly change volume or tune in channels. To get the cleaner go to Radio Shack which may have it if not go to Future Active (itmay just be called Active here) and tell them you need to buy cleaner to clean your stereo volume control and tehy will know what you are talking about.

I can not tell you how many thousands of dollars I have saved for friends with one can of spray and a couple of screw drivers.

Good luck.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

I am looking at getting a marine stereo for my boat, if you do some shopping you can find the top Clarion radio and the pair of speakers and tweeters for the price on the stereo alone and save the $200 the speakers are worth.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

The reason I figure I could get away with a car stereo is I already have one of these doo-dads.

Guess, I'll do some more shopping anyway. A blaster ain't in the budget right now anyway - gotta get more tackle. :D

Any more ideas though, please share them.

M.T. Livewell
DUBIE
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DUBIE »

M.T heres what I made with a car stereo you can put it in the boat if you want. The first one is my boom box that puts out 200w has a CD player and a tape deck. The second one is one that I'm making for a friend for his 4 Wheeler.

dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dana »

marine stereo yes
music/cd stereo...just say no
just my opinion
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Dana, that sounds like the voice of experience. Any more insight.

All great ideas guys, keep 'em coming.

Dubie, you missed your calling. You should open a store - nice work.

M.T. Livewell
GamblerSteve
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

car stereo

Post by GamblerSteve »

I think if you head down to the Stittsville Flea Market you might find a 8 track pretty cheap. :lol:
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Steve, just because your boat travels faster than the speed of sound hence negating the value of a stereo ... :D 8)

Nice to shake a paw with ya yesterday.

M.T. Livewell
GamblerSteve
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

car stereo

Post by GamblerSteve »

I have a CD player in the boat I only use it during pre-fishes. I think the fish like a little rock n' roll while I'm fishing.
taylor
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by taylor »

MT Livewell, did you install one? How did it work for you? I wouldn't mind some music in the boat and it'd be nice to find a cheaper solution.