Moon Phases

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Moon Phases

Post by Carl »

Hey everyone,

I'm curious to know everyones thoughts on moon phases.

I have heard many times that the full moon is a good time but have recently heard just the opposite! That the full moon is not as productive as everyone seems to think but that the new moon is the best time to get those big active critters.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Carlco
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

It really is all about the pressure of the water. The closer the moon the higher pressure, the higher pressure the more active the bait fish and vise versa. Mind you the extra light on the water really helps!

Dave
Canucks Fan
Participant
Participant

Post by Canucks Fan »

check this article out: http://espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/s/f ... s_FHN.html

not the best article though, more like a random collection of different points of view, but an interesting read nonetheless.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I've heard that a new moon is more productive than a full moon, too, but that the full moon is still preferable to a mid-moon phase. I believe that moon phases do influence fish / feeding patterns. I don't have any logs or records kept, just recollections -- and some of my worst outings were mid-cycle moon phases.

W.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

wolfe

I believe you're bang on with the two quartered moon phases. They definetly do not seem to be as productive. Keeping a journal during 2002 and 2003 I found that in about 90 outings I would have given the new moon the edge in 2002 and the full moon its "props" for 2003. Preferably though, don't you find it nice to fish the full moons. Great outings can be had in the bright twilight hours, and I always found night fishing on a clear, full moon night to be really enjoyable regardless if the fish bite. :)
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

When it comes to big muskies fullmoon is number 1 and then the newmoon. I went through my log books before and found that around 60% of big fish came around the full and new moon which is half the time. But then out of that some 60% came from the fullmoon so you figure it out. Thats like 36% of big fish within the 25% of the fullmoon and 24% around the 25% of the new moon and that leaves 20% for the other quarters.

I believe the numbers were actualy more favorable for the full and new moon.

I actualy called this fish days ahead of the new moon peak. So playing the moon can have it's benefits. We had a familly and I said " that day at that time we will fish as a team with both boats on that spot " so the entire familly will enjoy the capture. Well less then 10 minutes into our tag team it was over. :P In the picture is my buddy John who guides for me with my clients and his two kids, he almost blew it that day he was going to troll when I told him to stop and tag team the spot like I had planned for days, I guess I openened his eyes to the moon phase that day. :roll:

Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

I'm not going to argue the effects of the moon one way or the other because 1) I've never paid any attention to it; and 2) I don't care. Between work, vacation, chores around the house, finances etc...moon phase is so far down on the list of factors that it doesn't even register. If I can get away fishing, I'm gone. Moon be damned!
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

I've heard that more trophy fish are taken during the 3 days before and 3 days after the full moon than all other times of the month. I always try to plan my fishing trips around this full moon period. Deer hunting is the same way. Everything gets a little more active during the full moon. Its not a coincidence that 911 calls double during that time as well.
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Muskiemagnet wrote: I always try to plan my fishing trips around this full moon period.
I wonder how many others do the same. I know I do! Now logic would state if more people fish during this period. And our main trips are planed during this period, that this period would produce the most fish.

Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Trophymuskie -

I had a glass of red wine tonight (making a redneck tape measure for the upcoming season) and will, therefore, have to read your (%) stats tomorrow! Reminded me of school when I had those @#$&%! mathematical problems that started "if Jill is on a train going 75 miles and hour and her great-uncle's stepson by another marriage lives 2 hours away...blahh, blahh...:"....whaaa?! :lol:

Beautiful fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could at least wrap my sleepy brain around that!!!

Hey MuskieMagnet, I've heard that ER visits escalate during full moons. Our friend Moosebunk could probably attest to whether it's true or not. But I believe you're right in that wildlife activity peaks at full moon phases...whether that be wildlife or living life wild... :wink:

W.
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

I like the calenders that ESPN puts out.

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/general/s/g ... ables.html

If you really believe in the calenders check out his guys site. HE has really goten in to it.

http://www.primetimes2.com/pages/1-home.html
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Xenos wrote: I wonder how many others do the same. I know I do! Now logic would state if more people fish during this period. And our main trips are planed during this period, that this period would produce the most fish.
I was almost convince of such as I planned my trips aroung the fullmoon when I was a weekend fiherman but I have been guiding fulltime for 4 years now and fish when I am booked and my numbers really show that fullmoon to be that much better (on big fish now not numbers). It also is the first dates I book in the fall, you could not get me for the October or November fullmoons as they are booked years ahead of time by the same guys. I have these guys coming for the 3 days before and 3 days after the full moon in late October, this almost guarantees them a 40 pounder or two and definatly a few 35 pounders.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
roughrider
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Full moon this week

Post by roughrider »

I believe there is some validity to the full moon activity peaks,I fished the full moon last year on quinte and had an excellent trip. 8) I was set up to follow the Joe-bucher.com/fishing plan which had the peak times as sundown and moon rising in the same 45 miniute period.The problem was the fishing was far better in the morning till lunch than at sundown :shock: .We fished the same as the morning with the same techniques but for the full moon day and day after,the results were the same.That being said,I like the full moon overhead on night trips,I think it has more effect than full moon just rising.For those fishing the full moon this may 4th,sunset is at 8:10 pm and moon rising at 8:22 pm. Let me here from those people out at that time and see if there's really something to it! You can access the Bucher calander at the above site. I'll be on Quinte for the full moon on June 2nd and October 27th and maybe November26th. :wink: roughrider
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Moon Phases

Post by Tomcat »

We also try to book our group walleye trips around the new moon. I have purchased the charts published by Rick Taylor (Prime Times) for the last couple of years. Taking a look at the calendars for 2002 and 2003, best times were oriented around full moon in months of Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Oct, Nov and Dec while best times were oriented around new moon for May, Jun, Jul, Aug and Sep.