NEW BOAT - Opinons Welcome!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

WOW, thanks everyone for all your opinions and guidance with regard to our boat shopping. Believe me, we are reading each and every bit with interest and consideration. JP, your info has been very valuable and we appreciate your taking the time to offer your insight. Thanks, too, for the private message/info received. Different things people have mentioned gets us to thinking and discussing choices in more detail and helps us to consider your own choices and experiences.

We saw a 17' Tracker model today, which on the surface seemed quite suitable and attractive. But on further dissection, I think they cheaped-out on a few obvious things and it got us wondering what unseen stuff had corners cut. So I don't think it's a serious contender. Still, sitting up there in the nice, roomy boat, daydreaming about soft water and casting....whew! Got me going a little crazy. We went to the Fish'g Dept. afterwards and bought Tyler a nice little everyday rod right afterwards. :roll: :lol:

Please keep those thoughts coming on all facets of boat ownership -- even the poor experiences, as these can be a good heads up for us.

With regard to Crestliners, we just loved ours, though we spent the 1st couple of years grossly underpowered (big ooops there). It has really suited us well, but we are outgrowing it -- Shane is casting all on his own now, and let's say that's a bit unpredictable...good to have a little space in between folks, you know?! And I think at my age I deserve a console vs. a tiller. It's very hard for someone my size to pull up those big engines -- I literally have to brace my legs against the back of the boat and pull with all my body weight. :roll: :lol: It ain't pretty.

W.
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

Hi again Wolfe. One aspect that I forgot to mention, and one I consider of the utmost importance is Dealer service reputation. Once you narrow it down to a couple of different models, I suspect you will find there is not too much difference between them. Now comes the important part - Which dealer is going to give you the BEST ON GOING SERVICE. I truly feel this is one of the most important aspects of HAPPY boat ownership, and one that gets the least attention. Good luck with your DREAMBOAT and have fun finding it.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Erie-Eyes,

You are definitely right there, with regard to dealer reputation and track record. As well, I think you can tell a lot about a place by the people they hire (J.P. for example -- a class act).

Brian was looking at a nice boat last week (I don't recall which one) and said the salesmen were so slimy; the dealership was being run out of a sort of strip mall. Talking numbers ($'s) was like pulling teeth. We both agreed there was no way we'd ever purchase a boat from a place like that, no matter how much we liked it. Better to travel out of the area and find a good dealership.

On an up note, we have met a few knowledgeable, courteous and forthcoming salespeople -- the good ones certainly make an impression on you, as well.

W.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

My Opinion?

Brian wants to waterski = Mid Life Crisis

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Luck with whatever you choose Margie!
samurai_ted
Participant
Participant

Boat Shopping

Post by samurai_ted »

Glad I can add something new to the discussion. In 2006 I bought a 19' Legend Xcalibur with a 90 hp Mercury. Just love it. Lots and lots of room fishing. I can sit 9 or 10 people for cruising. When not fishing we use it for skiing and tubing. The Mercury 4 stroke has all the pull you need to ski, but can troll very quitly at 1.5 mph! You might not need the 19'. The Xcalibur comes in smaller versions with the same advantages. You can see them on the Legend Website. The best dealer around would probably be Carson's in Perth. They have been good to me.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

RJ wrote:My Opinion?

Brian wants to waterski = Mid Life Crisis

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Luck with whatever you choose Margie!

RJ, you are sooooo right! I have been telling everyone that! :lol:

Truth be told, he used to water ski and it kind of fell by the wayside the past several years. He has really been getting back into downhill skiing again after another lapse, so I guess he wants to carry the sport into the warm weather. Strap sticks on his feet and add speed, and he is a happy guy.

The real part of this "mid life crisis" is the itch for a big $ purchase. He says he wants to enjoy our cottage now that we've got one. I can't complain, because it could be an all together different kind of itch he's got at this point in our (looong) marriage. Besides, I benefit from the boat in a really big way! 8)

W.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hey Samurai Ted,

thx for your 2cents. Your set up sounds fantastic. I hear a lot of happy people talk about their Legends. I don't think we have a Legend dealer here in NY though. Believe you've got the market on those over the border?

W.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

1 Legend.........3 different tow vehicles.
Legend is a Canadian company. When I got my boat they were buying "unfinished" boats from the USA ( different tax bracket) and then finishing them off in Canada.
In the end you are the people the boat has to accomodate.........not us. I suspect the happiest boat owners are the ones that put the most effort into reserching different manufacturers & dealers for all the features and service they are looking for.

Good luck & enjoy!!
DropShot'r
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Ahhh new boats

Post by Seaweed »

Hi Marge,

Great to hear you are getting a new boat... nothing says here comes summer like hearing about someone getting a new boat.

I didn't think I had much to contribute to the discussion because as much as I know you would like a bass boat that isn't what the family needs so my experience shopping for boats would be lacklustre at best.

I did however visit Ebay motors and then Fishing boats and let me tell you there are a bunch of great boats on there ... it is that time of year where everyone thinks boats. I would highly recommend checking them out. If you find one that you really like then you could post the link here and we could help you by telling you our thoughts then

I saw some Lund, Fisher, Crestliners, Stratos and other boats that would suit the whole family quite nicely. A nice thing about buying off of Ebay is that you can get them with all the toys on them already... which if you buy new is all added cost after sales.

Good luck and good hunting.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Hi Wolfe me I cant help you mutch on that as I dont have a boat yet. But what I want to by in the future is something simillar to what you are looking for because me what I want it to do is to go fishing and do some cruising on the water and maybe some tubing or whatever. I always think that there would nothing more enjoyable then going fishing for a bit then go for a boat ride after or just go for boat ride on a nice day.

I think Wolfe for your need a Princecraft Super Pro 176 should be a good bet for your familly need. This is just my 2 cents. But like I said before I dont own a boat but that a boat like that I would like to had.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Hey Margie,

The VIP is a 17' fiberglass fish and ski. And JP makes a great point, mine is more fish than ski.

It came with a waterski tow bar and is great for dragging the kids around in the tubes (it's good for dragging the BIG kids around too :D )

I love the fiberglass. It rides really smooth and is really stable.
But I will caution you, because mine has a front and rear casting deck, it feels cramped. When Billy joins me on the front and Cassie and Dana are on the back, you've gotta be extra careful about how and where you are casting. I do like being up high on the casting decks, but you mention you're looking for deeper walls to keep the boys inside.

If I could do it all over again, the boat would be 3' longer. But if I waited till I could afford that, I never would have been able to buy a boat.

Good luck. Boat shopping is a lot of fun.

Bill

p.s. "Tell Brian I bought a 4 wheeler. The one with the most toys wins. :lol: "
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

Check this site out. You can get some reviews of hundreds of boats. They are all new boats, but it might be helpful.

http://www.boattest.ca/boatsandplaces/T ... fault.aspx
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Thx for the continued shared info and advice; we are still shopping.

Brian is really doing his homework, and I've more or less turned the decision over to him. He is definitely not rushing the decision and has literally made up charts with pro's and con's of several boats in the running. Brochures are everywhere and he's making regular inquiries.

M.T., good to hear from you, and I was interested to hear your opinion on your fiberglass boat, as well as the size, since your family's size and activities pretty much mirror mine. It meshes much with what Brian and I are thinking -- and that is that we need some real room. Also, Brian is favoring one fiberglass model at the moment (Stratos) vs. a Lund and a Crestliner. Crestliner would almost be a no-brainer because we loved ours, but it's a 3-hour+ ride to the nearest dealer and we're not sure that's the optimal situation, though I know enough folks have done it. We just don't have the best track record with luck, and chances are something will go wrong and we'll need the dealer close at hand. :roll: There is one a little closer, but after 3 calls they have failed to respond to Brian -- UGH! -- so the hell with them. That tells you loads right there.

And Bill? Please don't encourage Brian with your talk of boy toys. Pulleeeeze. He gets the (as I call it) "Big Purchase Itch" about every other year. Right on target with the boat this year, but I won't argue too vehemently with him this time. heehee... 8) Anyway, hope you enjoy your 4-wheeler. We actually get a lot of use out of ours... (What's going on with your boat project? You didn't fall victim to the 90% Club, did you? :lol: )

Thx again everyone. Will keep you posted!

W.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Since you already have the Cadillac of boats I would strongly suggest to stay away from the bottom brands like Tracker and legend. Lund's and Princecraft are closer in quality.

I think if you liked your fish hawk why not move up to an 1850 with full windshield? They also have a 1750 that can be easily equipped with a tow bar.

You may also want to look at their new Super Hawk 1700, I think it's only 25k with a 115HP and under 30K with it maxed out with a 135HP. This line is the best bang for the buck of all their fish and ski lineup.

The Canadian is also another option you may want to look at.

So many choices at Cresliner that anyone should find exacly what they're looking for.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
SixStringHack
Participant
Participant

A few more comments

Post by SixStringHack »

I just scanned through this thread and I can add a bit of feedback based on my FISH + ski boat. I opted for a Lowe FM175S. Since the primary use is fishing in reasonable temperatures, I decided to go for a side console rather than a full console model. It is very open and easy to move around the boat. That being said it also offers almost no wind or spray protection when in use as a pleasure cruiser. It is a compromise to not get a full windshield, but it is one that I'd do again if needed.

I'm adding a ski pole this winter because I find that the tube tow rope gets caught by the wake when turning and that messes up the 'across the wake whip'. If you spend any time casting from the boat, I'd also recommend a fish finder for the bow (another winter addition for me).