I have bad luck--Close call!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

I have bad luck--Close call!!!

Post by JP »

Yesterday I was heading into Verona to get groceries for my GF and it was raining pretty hard. The roads were clear on the way in and for the most part the way back. I turned off HWY 38 onto Westport rd and while going up a hill no faster than 70km, the rear wheels of the truck lost grip and I fishtailed up the hill. The truck was all over the road so I released the gas and attempted to ride it out. I was able to avoid a truck with kids in it but wasn't able to avoid spinning backwards, the snowbank, flipping over and the tree that I wrapped around. It was like a dream, a bad one. When I came t rest I was upside down with the roof crushed in, the seat broke and the box and passanger side of the truck crushed to oblivian.
So here I am sitting no hanging upside down realizing what just happened. I thank my stars that my girlfriend decided not to join me for the ride because there was nothing left of the passanger side.
I reach up and release my seat belt and fall a foot onto the roof right on my head. Now I learned a couple of things about my body at that moment.
1. I am fat and all that bulk driving my head into the roof wasn't very nice :cry: .
2. I am about as flexible as a dead body in rigger :roll:
3. my knees taste bad when they are jammed in my face.

After a couple of tense moments I realize nothing is wrong with me (that wasn't wrong before :lol: ) and climb out the drivers window. By this time three people who saw the crash arrived to see me climb out and they looked white as ghosts. I guess they didn't think anyone could walk away from that. When I scrambled to the top of the bank and looked back I understood why.
I had one of them drive me back to my GF's and she took me back to the truck. By this time the Firedepartment and police were climbing down the hill to see what was left of anyone inside.
I grabbed stuff out of the truck and to my suprise all my ice gear was undamaged :lol: .
I was approached after all this by the truck I swerved to avoid when the truck lost it. He said thank you for not hitting them. He had a child in the front and a baby in the back seat.
I am happy that no one was hurt and even happier that if I had hit the snow bank 5ft more up the hill I wouldn't be here today.

Drive safe and watch for black ice. I was under the speed limit and on snow free roads on a straight away. Don't take anything in life for granted, I won't be for a while.

JP
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

It was like a dream, a bad one. When I came t rest I was upside down with the roof crushed in, the seat broke and the box and passanger side of the truck crushed to oblivian.

what the h?$?..... :shock: :?

man......this is just . :shock:

man nice to see you are ok...this is what is important here.

wow we just never what is waiting for us.

take care and take some time off or something ..to take a brake.

joco.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

I am glad I wasn't hurt not even a scratch, just a head bump from falling on it.
I am getting a drive to work tomorrow to continue fighting the good fight LOL :roll: :wink: :lol: .

JP
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

Glad to hear you and everyone else are OK - The truck can always be replaced.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Glad to hear you're OK....

A trucks a truck, but people...

Could have been much worse.
seanshuntin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seanshuntin »

Someone was watchin out for you,, maybe the fish gods...............
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Holy JP! Glad you and everyone else is ok! Sounds like a BAD day.
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

Glad to hear you're okay. As corny as it may sound you can never be to safe. Thankfully as we get older our delusions of invincibility wear off and needless to say experiences like this help accelerate that wisdom.

In the end everything is replaceable except ones health, once again I am thankful no one got hurt.

-Paul
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Glad to hear ya made it ou ok but... a damaged car can be replaced!!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

HOLY CRAP DUDE!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: .....glad to hear you made it out unscathed. I can't imagine what you were thinking.....talk soon lad!
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

Man Jp! Did u buy a lottery ticket?
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Hey JP. Glad you got out of this O.K. Vehicles can be replaced.
The Big Fella up above is surely keeping his eyes on you.
Take it easy and enjoy life.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

:shock: Glad to know you're OK :shock: Could've been worse!!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Glad you're okay JP.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Thank everyone for the kind words. It hit me today how close I came to a serious injury or worse. It is very scary to think that my girlfriend or her dog could have been in the truck. I am thankfull for everything in life today and relize that we have such a short time on this world. Live ever day like it is special and hug who ever is close to you when ever you can.

Thanks
JP