Fishing Punta Cana?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fishing Punta Cana?

Post by 1lastcast »

Im heading to DR on the 25th of this month for a week of RR :D

Staying on the famous Bavero Beach. I have been there before but never gotten to do any fishing. This will be my first time on a charter boat of any sort. Anyone have any advise to give? charter companys?

Thanks

I post some pics when I return.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

You might meet up with a dude named...........BigBass444 :lol: :lol:

He claims to be the ''legend'' from a place called McLaurin Bay :roll:
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Mike's Marina (everyone knows it)... Book for the morning as fishing is supposedly better and the seas are calmer... I'd also suggest going out with others rather than putting big cash out for a private charter. I went out w/ Ransome last April and he lost one wahoo and that was it... other boat got 6 dorado's :? No sailfish for any in the fleet that afternoon...

baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

I saw a show last night at a hunting and fishing get together about swordfish in Dominicain Republic and let me tell you if you want to do an outing when you there just do it it worths the trip :) . That was an awsome show :) . It will be the fishing trip of a life time 8) .
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Thanks I plan to get out this time around. Talked the father in law into coming also.

There is just the two of us so im sure we will have to just join with another anglers. I know there is a fishing charter right on the beach at the resort. Im not sure of its name? It is on bavero beach just infront of the market.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

It wasn't Mike's we went with after all... it was these guys...

http://fishingpuntacana.com/joomla/inde ... e&Itemid=1

We fished on the Intrepido, boats are seaworthy but equipment is not the best... they'll rig up their ballyhoo on your way out... you'll shake your head at how dull the rusty hooks are :shock: I've heard most all charters down there are run like that...

D.

Image[/url]
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Yes I think this is charter that im talking about also?

Do you know if the cost is $99 per shared for a full day? do I need to be out there for a full day?
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

Another site to look at http://www.godominicanrepublic.com/main ... .xml&Lang=

We in Puero Plata 9 - 16 Feb. First time in DR.
Good luck with your trip.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Cory, I believe the $99 is for the half day 4-5 hrs. The only prob is that if there are 7 guys on board, and ya's only get 3 fish, you might not get to fight one... I am not familiar with how they come up with a pecking order on board :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck and take lots of pics

Don
Thrasher
Participant
Participant

Post by Thrasher »

I've been but never fished. When I was there and got to asking around, i heard it was a good idea to ask others that you meet at the resort and try to put your own group together and then seek out a charter. My wife is there now and will be back in a few days. I'll see if she has any more info.
Thrasher
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Good things to know! Thanks guys. I would not be happy to pay $100 and not fight a fish :? I think most charters run around 7 people??? Maybe I can talk the wife into coming that would make 3.

Do you guys know if there are any shore fishing locations around Punta? What sort of laws if any are in place there reguarding fishing???

I sure hope to get this time around. sitting on the beach in front all that ocean is almost torcher. Almost :lol:
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Cory, I went back again last month to the same resort and this time I saw 2 guys surfcasting off the beach for about an hour or so... they came up empty handed. I wanted to ask them all kinds of questions but they were Italian or Greek and didn't understand a word I was saying ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

good luck to ya regardless

D.
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

DR

Post by boogie »

1lastcast, I was there 2 years ago and utilized the guide in front of the market. He brings 4 people aboard and it was a pretty good fishing day or 1/2 day. We caught 5 dorados and 2 mackeral, all fish was donated to the locals. It was funny because I had been on charters before, therefore new what to do when the rod popped. The other 3 people on the boat were green at it, so when the rod popped, I looked around and no one was moving, oh well, I got up and set the hook into a 21 lb dorado. It wasn't long after that, they got the message. The captain looks for flocks of birds feeding on bait, once this is seen he races to the area and fishes. It was a hoot, you will enjoy it.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Well folks... Im sorry to report that I dident get a chance to fish this time around. Book a half day outing and due to bad weather (highwinds) it was canceled :cry:

No time to rebook as we were flying home the next day!

Theres always next year.