Eastern ON Backroad Mapbook

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Eastern ON Backroad Mapbook

Post by Karack »

Some guys were chatting on about this book a few weeks back, so I picked one up at the Carp Show. This is a great reference book and now that my appetite has been wet, does anyone have any other suggestions for other good Eastern Ontario reference for anglers? I'd really like something with a little more detail both in both the written reference material as well as the maps.

Thx

Karack
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

There's another book - Eastern Ontario Fishing Guide that's not bad. I can't vouch for either's accuracy but it gives you the basics about launches, directions and such. There's also the Algonquin and Near North versions of that series. You can buy them at Chapters and Canadian Tire (and probably other book/sporting goods stores.
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Thanks for the post Saskie the book look good, I just ordered one.

Karack here is the link.

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/index-fm.php?bookId=feo
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

Thx for the info guys. I've ordered a copy too :)

K.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

If you haven't already - check out the Ontario Fishing Map sections of this forum. There's maps with popular spots for bass, walleye and pike marked. They're available via the Fishhawk home page.

Better yet (I assume) that most of the info in making them came from people in this forum so if you have questions you can get the answers from the source: Obi Wan Fishhawk.
stephenP
Participant
Participant

Post by stephenP »

There are a set of maps produced by "Fishing Maps Plus" (www.nrtco.net/~fmp) or call 1-800-941-0006. I happened upon these products when I first moved here from NS a few years back, and they have been invaluable to getting to know the area and establishing my own honey holes. They come already laminated, and are therefore resilient in the worst of tournament weather. They have an extensive list to chose from and produce, in my opinion, one of the finest fishing maps available, including depth contours, water characteristics, species specific background as well as seaonal data. Lorne Spotswood is the name of the fellow I deal with, and I have been most plaesed with customer service. I can't say it any plainer then that.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

stephenP wrote: when I first moved here from NS a few years back
Hey StephenP, What part of NS are you from?
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Hey cool - another Bluenoser! Moved here from Dartmouth in Sep. Welcome aboard 'bye
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

ew, Datmouth. :?

I'm from Hantspot.
stephenP
Participant
Participant

Post by stephenP »

I've spent the vast majority of my Navy time in Halifax. My wife is from Moser River, up the eastern shore, not far past Sheet Harbour. Man I truly miss fly-fishing for salmon in the Moser River and up in Sherbrooke on the St Mary's. I temper that loss by the truly outstanding multi-species fishing available within 2 hours of Ottawa.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I agree 100%. I still get a NS fix a few times a year, but I wouldn't trade it for the fishing I've found here.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Well...isn't this strange. I'm Navy as well. I'm out at Shirley's Bay. Still have the camp back in Upper Musq for when I get posted back.
setomonkey
Participant
Participant

Post by setomonkey »

I've got a bunch of the backroad mapbooks, they are very useful for basic info about lakes, esp. the access.

There's also a Fishing Ontario book (blue cover, longer than most books) that's available for about $20 at LeB's and other stores, it also has good info about lakes, some of them close to Eastern Ontario.

Mike
Big fish, little fish, swimming in the water...
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Ya I got mine on Saterday at Chapters. I can't believe what I have been missing. My book says it is the premier edition, I can't wait to see the next version with morelake info and more routes. The book is a 10 out of 10 for sure

DL
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Backroads book

Post by Seaweed »

Personally I was a little disappointed with the overall product. I guess I just expected a lot more information pertaining to fishing.... because I fish I guess.

I will caution everyone to be careful because some of the smaller waterways they show as being fit for navigation are for canoeists and kayakers only...

I guess I am glad I have the book and it might come in useful if I put it in the car but it won`t replace my other stuff that I have collected over the years from various websites and other anglers.