Had a small confrontation with a poacher!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Had a small confrontation with a poacher!!

Post by Wallyboss »

I am sitting in my trap and I hear a guy drilling holes with a power auger, watched him or a while cause it took him like 30 minutes to punch 6 holes. So he goes back to his truck to bring back the jiffy. Comes back and sets up his lines. Then I look over and he is leaving again. He gets in his truck and takes off. Plus he was alone and I take a look and he has 6 lines in the water. I go over to a couple of guys to get them to look at this blatant act of poaching. I tell the guys that I am going to go get my scissors and I am going to go cut the guys lines. As I am walking towards my trap the guy comes back(He went to get a soft drink and a bag of chips )so I head towards him and ask him if he thinks that Petrie is on the Quebec side of the Ottawa with the amount of line he has in the water, he says that he knows that he is on the Ont. side. So I asked him why would he be allowed to fish with 6 lines when I can only use 2. He says to me that 2 of his buddies are coming over shorthly , so I politely asked him to take 4 lines out of the water and when his buddies show up that he can put them back into the water. Only one other guy showed up and for some reason they only used the allowable 2 lines each.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

Good Job Dan! Thank god you had a few guys as back up!
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Good job Dan weall need to step up and fight for our waters with the cut backs to CO's.
Cheers
JP
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Dan, we encountered a party early this morning that had 8 lines for 2 guys, then a third showed up and within the hour they had the max allowable for all 5-6 guys there... dunno why people can think they should be able to get away with putting lines out for people who aren't even present or going to get some munchies while leaving their lines in... I'd have kicked 4 of that guy's tipups down the hole, but that's just me, I'm an A-hole I guess :wink:

D.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

but the good type of A-hole lol :lol:
freshwater shark
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by freshwater shark »

Good on ya Dan. I catch people doing it here on the tribs of Lake Ontario all the time when the salmon are running. A few years back Im walking under the Thomas street bridge when I heard some comotion off in the trees. I go over to see whats going on. I get there and this old I think polish couple were there trying to get this big salmon on shore. Well this is what else I found out about theese two. I followed them up to the car. The trunk was full right to the top almost with fish. I follow the old guy back down to the river. Hes got a treble hook on I would say about 45lbs test. Just snaging them as the were going up river. I tried to talk to them but they couldn't understand me(so they let on) and I couldnt understand them. Soooo what should one do. Well I called 1-800-tipsmnr. Don't know if anything was done, but I did what I could.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

It's not like this is new regs??????????
pchilli1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

too bad

Post by pchilli1 »

I saw a guy last night with 7 lines in a spot near orleans (not Petrie). There were quite a few other fishermen there too. I went to talk to him but caught the wiff of weird smoke coming from his direction :) I kept my distance as I was with the girlfriend and her family and didn't want a confrontation. Still irks me. Glad to say at least he didn't catch anything while I was there!
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: too bad

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

pchilli1 wrote:I saw a guy last night with 7 lines in a spot near orleans (not Petrie). There were quite a few other fishermen there too. I went to talk to him but caught the wiff of weird smoke coming from his direction :) I kept my distance as I was with the girlfriend and her family and didn't want a confrontation. Still irks me. Glad to say at least he didn't catch anything while I was there!
It's possible that this guy may have had Native status...I ran into a situation like this over 10 yrs ago, but the guy had 20 lines out and was using perch for bait!!.....He was fairly friendly and when i questioned the amount of lines he had out he pulled his Native status card out of his wallet and explained that he was doing nothing illegal :evil: :evil:
legend151
Participant
Participant

Post by legend151 »

Way to go Dan! :D
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

pchilli1 wrote:I saw a guy last night with 7 lines in a spot near orleans (not Petrie). There were quite a few other fishermen there too. I went to talk to him but caught the wiff of weird smoke coming from his direction :) I kept my distance as I was with the girlfriend and her family and didn't want a confrontation. Still irks me. Glad to say at least he didn't catch anything while I was there!
He sure did catch something...A buzz off that weird smelling smoke :lol:
StratosBoy
Participant
Participant

Post by StratosBoy »

Good Job Dan

Been there Already this year, Yes I'. a-Hole too. I even tookt guy his Fishing Tip and threw them in Garage so far no trouble . Enough I said to my self. Be a man an fish like a Human and go by with the Laws.

Cheers Russ

Still trying to tell my kids why I did This. Well I love fishing and I go bye the Rules or Laws.

Happy Year New you Crazy Ice Fishermens.
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:
It's possible that this guy may have had Native status...I ran into a situation like this over 10 yrs ago, but the guy had 20 lines out and was using perch for bait!!.....He was fairly friendly and when i questioned the amount of lines he had out he pulled his Native status card out of his wallet and explained that he was doing nothing illegal :evil: :evil:
This will be a thing of the past After Jan 1st the status cards will only work on the res. Off res they need valid outdoors cards and have to follow the rules like everyone else!
Oh and Dan good on ya I'da done the same :wink:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

getnjiggywithit wrote:This will be a thing of the past After Jan 1st the status cards will only work on the res. Off res they need valid outdoors cards and have to follow the rules like everyone else!

Stop dreaming... :lol: ...They Block off roads...disrupt communities for months on end....and the Authorities do nothing.....you really think the MNR will bother?...Don't kid yourself...
creeky
Participant
Participant

Post by creeky »

hey getnjiggy ... i'm glad to hear about the fishing regs being applied more across the fillet board ...

i've been to many an ice fishing where one guy drills a lot of holes and we all set up, i guess i could see the guy setting up the holes ahead of time. is it really that big a deal???

i luv fishin. so my fellow fishermen are my brothers, for whatever species, or superstitious belief (like the musky guys who can only hold a fish for the length of an eyebat or the croak of a frog) but call me Crazy :wink: , and I am, I think accepting personal responsibility for our environment is a good thing.

save the honeybee!

ps-during the summer i speed troll for two lines per shoreline fishermen and find it most effective :lol: :wink: :P