Use Cordless Drill For Ice Auger

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Use Cordless Drill For Ice Auger

Post by beachburger »

I was watching Bob Izumi's show this AM and noticed he had an ice auger attached to a DeWalt cordless drill. I did a bit of googling came across this gizmo. It looks like a neat idea and could be way easier than hoofing the gas auger around. Has anyone tried something like this?
Fry Flier
Participant
Participant

Post by Fry Flier »

Have not used one myself or know anything about them but here is another.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 3_100-16-5
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

I use a cordless drill for working outdoors( i work in construction as a tinbanger outside) the batteries go extremely fast regardless of what type of drill you are using, I use an 18 volt and in the cold can get about 6 hours of sporatic use. If anything i would use a 36 volt dewalt at least you will have the power and torque. Other than that i would stick to a gas or a hand auger. just my opinion not gospel lol :lol:
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

I could see it working well with a 6" auger. The reviews on bass pros site are positive. And at $14 bucks it would be worth trying for sure! Just when I thought I had everything needed to ice fish :oops:
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

I wonder how it would work with a cordless impact wrench? Much more torque there, upwards of 250 ft-lb.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

I saw it too.

Kind of interesting.

I have run cordless tools all day in every type of condition for 20 yrs and I would be surprised if and 18v or even 24v battery would perform in freezing weather under a load like carving ice with a 4 ' bit.

I wouldn't have it as my only option .

JMO
baitcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

CORDLESS DRILL ATTACHMENT

Post by baitcaster »

I came across these from a distributor last year in the States and brought some in. We have sold them to some of the guys that fish the lake and they feel they work quite well. Certainly easier than boring the holes by hand. 18volt drill recommended - I've seen them used with an 8 inch auger with success.
Thrasher
Participant
Participant

Post by Thrasher »

They "would" work with an 18v with an 8" auger under the perfect ice consistency, temperature etc. etc. realistically, the bigger the drill the better, and the smaller the hole the better, (as I typed that, it could be taken a few different ways LOL :lol: ) As previously stated, the battereies will drain much faster in cool weather, so if you want to use it, do all your drilling right away as the battery may not have the juice needed 6 hours into the day. My opinion, buy a gas auger, or hand auger.
Also I'd hate to not be able to get that 20 lb pike on the ice cause it won't fit through that 6" hole!!
Thrasher