Lower Niagra River question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishing Master75
Participant
Participant

Lower Niagra River question

Post by fishing Master75 »

Hi everybody,
i'm looking for information about boat fishing the lower Niagara river during the winter months, i've gone a few times in the fall this year launched at the Queenston bridge near the jet boat docks. I read an article on this website of a few guys from Ottawa fishing the Lower river in March. My questions are: is the boat launch still open over the winter? is the river frozen over? i remember seeing a sign that said docks would be removed after a certain date. I'd like to head out during the Holidays or early in the New year
any help would be greatly appreciated
Merry Christmas to everybody
Jay
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

One of my favorite trips of the year is upon us....we leave early next week to fish the Niagara for 3 days....

The only launch on the CDN side that I am aware of is the Queenston Launch....The dock was still in as of last week...

At this point our trip is in peril to due water conditions.....and with strong SW winds we are not expecting it to clear enough to make it worth our while to drive down....

Tons of fishing opportunities around here right now anyways....this morning was great...but if I miss out on the Niagara River this year....that'll suck!

Good Luck if ya head down...

RJ
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

RJ covered pretty much everything and it's very unfortunate that our trip isn't looking good at the moment :cry: . One thing to add to it is to make sure you bring lots of salt or sand with you :wink: getting up the road if it's hasn't been maintained can be a real chore. A 4x4 vehicle would a good idea. "Oh", and heads up when the American hunters start blasting away "Ping" :shock:
Rob
CharlieD
Participant
Participant

Post by CharlieD »

Niagara never freezes. Sometimes the boat launch at queenston freezes but not yet. We had horrible winds yesturday and today so river is probably mud and I wouldn't recommend coming all this way for nothing.
Just before this wind buys were crushing the steelies but may be 4-5 days before fishable, providing no winds. 4X4 would be a good idea as the launch can get icy from boats in and out. Don't think you can use salt for environmental reasons as it may go in the water but sand is good. Hope this helps.