A sad day for fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
topwater
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

A sad day for fishing

Post by topwater »

Another well-known figure on the Ottawa fishing scene has passed away .John (The Duke) Dumouchel passed away suddenly yesterday :cry: . Many of you have probably used some tackle made by him as many local shops carried his products. He fished many of the tournament bass circuits in the area in the years before I met him. He was on the pro staff with Rapala ,Daiwa. Lowrance and others, and worked at many of the local fishing shows. But to me was much more

I met John in June 2004 when I was on my very first solo trip for Carp, John pulled up and asked if I minded if he joined me on the bank, well he did and I soon discovered we had much in common besides fishing. John was retired from Bell Canada and I was and still do work there. Although we had never crossed paths at Bell we had many common acquaintances. One thing about carp fishing when you share a bank with someone for the day you have lots of time to talk and John and I hit it off right from the word go. From that first chance encounter blossomed a true friendship. John and I have fished together at least once a week almost every week since then, barring that awful period between soft water and hard water seasons.

John had a love of trying new bodies of water and I loved fishing anywhere. John loved fishing for crappie and I was trying desperately to figure them out. John loved to share his knowledge with me and I think he was even happier than I was when some new technique he had been trying to teach me finally paid off. This summer he had been trying to teach me to flip ,well after trying with the rods I had with little success I decided it was my equipment so off I went to Ed’s to get myself a flipping stick ,Well it wasn’t the equipment . Anyway John kept after me to keep trying, I would get the old “this looks like a fine place to initiate that flipping stick”. Well persistence pays off and on our last bass outing this year I landed 4 bass flipping including the biggest of the day, I really believe seeing me catch that bass put the biggest smile on his face that I have ever seen.

My wife had nicknamed him Daddy John and somehow it fit. I don’t think I will ever be able to pick up a rod again without thinking about him .

I kow somewhwere John is fishing today and I hope he gets a 17 inch crappie

RIP John I will miss you :cry: :cry: :cry:
Muskie4L
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskie4L »

Sorry for the loss of your close friend topwater :cry:

Ted
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

Topwater
Sorry for your loss.
What a wonderful eulogy, we should all aspire to leave that impression on people we meet.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

I'm sorry for the loss TW... I bet when it comes down to it we all have a friend like John in our lives. My condolences to you and the Dumouchel family.
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

My condolences to the Dumochel family and to Mike Stinson. You, Mike have lost one heck of a mentor for your fishing travels.
John was quite a tournament fisherman but he always loved to impart his knowledge with trusted friends.
The fishing fraternity will miss him greatly.
Brian
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

This is saddening for me and my family... :cry:

Though I only spent time with John a few times he struck a chord in Birdee and I and especially my stepdaughter Ariel....we spent a day down at Long Sault with John and Mike...Ariel had never caught a carp before and Duke was all over that....

This is what this man was all about...

You will be sorely missed...

RJ
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Toughts and prayers to the Dumouchel family.

Dan aka WB
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

John was due into the store today to do a booking and I was about 10 minutes away from calling to find out where he was when I got the news. Booking with John was a 2 or 3 hour job that generally took about 8 because we would get side-tracked talking fishing. I was fortunate enough to share a boat with John on a few occasions as well and the fishing was usually secondary to the fellowship.

Yes he will be missed here as well.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Mike I was shocked to hear about john... I'm sorry for the Dumouchel family and you little brother, Like others I had the pleasure of sharing the bank with you and John for Carp several times over the years and i'm going to miss our get togethers with him . I also have learned direct from john and indirectly thru you, his talents ,his great sense of humer(once you knew him :wink: )and his great talent for telling a story.... all of these Are going to be missed.............If the Dumouchel family or you need any thing....I'm only a phone call away.

Phil
Last edited by big-o on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

John was just in the shop last week dropping off our ice fishing order and chatting about the upcoming ice season. This comes as quite a shock. We only got to know Duke in the last couple of years through the business and he was a great guy that loved his fishing, especially crappie and carp. He will be sorely missed. Our deepest condolences to the Dumouchel family at this difficult time. :( :( :cry:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gordo »

Mike I just got the call from RJ and I'm shocked and saddend by the news. My thoughts and prayers go out to John's family and to you as well Mike. I guess God needed some advice on how to land that monster Crappie. Godspeed John.

Gordo
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

My condolences for the Dumochel family :cry: . Thats a sad news indeed even if I never meet John but I see some pics of him with some nice fish especially the carp.
Brandon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Brandon »

John is the first true friend I have ever lost. Our family moved right across the street from John and Pauly in 1994 when I was about 8 years old. I tihnk it was around 1996 when John offered me my first job ever. It was the greatest job any kid could ever have, especially a kid who likes fishing! John had me packaging fishing tackle and assembling some of the easier lures, like worm harnesses.

I was in heaven; I would sit at home and package tiny swivels, spinnerbait skirts, leaders, spinner blades and whatever else john was putting together for his next orders.

For all my 'hard' work, John gave me my first nice rod and reel combo for Christmas. A Daiwa one piece rod and a Daiwa reel. To this day, that was the best Christmas present I have ever received.

I was always interested in fishing, but John really got me into it. He took me out fishing for crappie and bass when our schedules worked together. Thinking back, I wish I had skipped school to go out with John! But I know he wouldn't let me do that!

As years went on, John and I had swapped so many fishing stories we could write a book. I always learned something new from John, every time I talked to him. Usually more than one thing! I would come home from work, school or fishing and we would stand in his garage, at his boat, for hours. Believe me, HOURS (just ask my family and girlfriend!) I can't tell you how many dinners i missed because i was out yacking away with John.

John got me into carp fishing as well. My funnest fishing days have been for carp with John. My brain usually can't handle all the information he has to offer but I tried my best to keep up.

There are too many good memories I have had with John. Each noe has a special place in my heart that i will never forget. John has played a huge part in my life. If it weren't for John, I would not have gotten to involved with fishing, which would not have sent me on my carreer path and to my school. He always encouraged me and was happy to see me progress through life.

Whether we were fishing for crappie, bass, pike or carp, going to a Sens game, working at the same fishing shows and promos in the stores, or just sharing fishing stories in his garage of the ones that got away, and more importantly, the ones that didn't get away, every minute I spent with John has been one that I am forever grateful for.

I think that everyone knows by now what John is doing. He probably just got in from Carping, is about to go out for crappie this afternoon and then will top the day off with a few fillets of crappie, a Sens game and maybe tell a storie or two.

Here are some pics from days fishing with John.

Crappie fishing with John.
John with a nice fatty. John was fishing with Mike this day and we showed up a little later in the day!
Gettin ready to net another lunker for John.
The first Carp I ever caught. John always said, "You look like you have a mouth full of bumble bees!" haha! That's the kind of joy I got when I was with John!!

Words can't express what John meant to me and the impact he had on my life. He will truly be missed by myself, the fishing world and so many others!

Rest In Peace ol' friend...
pappy
Participant
Participant

Post by pappy »

Last edited by pappy on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Dumouchel
Participant
Participant

Post by Dave Dumouchel »

Hello everyone - Dave here, John's son.

I want to thank you all for the kind words and well wishes in this difficult time. My Dad's affinity for fishing goes beyond anything I could ever hope to describe. Ever since I can remember the basement was full of fishing tackle; and like Brandon, assembling spinner baits and counting out plastic worms was my first job as well.

We fished together a lot when I was young and sadly the last time I fished with him was last summer out near Carlton Place. I'm envious of those of you who fished with him this past summer sharing with him his greatest love. As the song goes "Life's what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". This was not expected and came as a shock to all of us. We were able to get in a Sens game though a week before he passed and we had a great time there.

At Dad's request he will be cremated and next summer we will bring him to a quiet shore somewhere where he can rest in peace. Details to be decided, but at the moment we're planning a Celebration of Life for Dad Friday evening, in Alexandria ON where most of the extended family is from. I will post details of location and time as they are decided should any of you wish to come.

Once again thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Dave Dumouchel