A sad day for fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Oziles
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Oziles »

Hi Dave,

We have been dealing with your dad for the last couple of years and in that time the knowledge he shared was and continues to be of tremendous value for us. I did not have the opportunity to fish with him but can only imagine the adventures based on the stories told around the minnow tank during his visits. His departure is a tremendous loss for the fishing community.

On behalf of all of us at Oziles, please accept and extend to your family our sincerest condolences.

Yves and the staff at Oziles'
Dave Dumouchel
Participant
Participant

Post by Dave Dumouchel »

John's service will be held at Munro Funeral Home Friday November 30 between 5pm and 9pm. In lieu of flowers, please donate to your favourite charity. The website for the funeral home is www.munromorris.com; it is located at 114 Main St. in Alexandria.

At some point in the coming weeks I will be faced with sorting out the orders that Dad was in the process of delivering. I know for a fact that he was planning on delivering one large order on Friday, and there appears to be several others around the shop. I invite John's customers to call me during the first week of December so that we can make sure Dad's hard work gets out there for people to enjoy. Please email me at ddumouchel AT webtronix DOT ca for my number.

Once again thank you all for your stories and condolences. Seeing this page has meant a lot to us.

Dave
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Bad news...

Post by Cancatchbass »

John's passing is a great loss for our fishing community.

I've known and fished with/against John since the mid-80's, and if there is one person who exemplified that which is good about our sport - it was John.

A true gentleman and sportsman in every sense of the word.
Eatmore
Participant
Participant

So Long John

Post by Eatmore »

I have known John since about 1982. He helped my partner, Dan Courville and I in a tournament one year by telling us which lures the bass were biting on.... even although he was competing!

We drifted apart after I stopped doing the bass trails, although I always ran into him at one show or another. Then 3 years ago I was fishing the Ottawa River in Cumberland when I came to shore to load up the boat. John called me over to reel in a carp on one of his fishing lines. From that very moment I was hooked on carp fishing and have been fishing for carp with John and Mike Stinson ever since - at least once every 2 weeks. John took me under his wing and taught me how to fish for carp and bass. He was very competitive - even fishing for fun.

John I was looking forward to fishing with you this winter and then going for crappie (which I have never fished). John I will miss you very much - you may have been short in stature - but to me you're seven feet tall!

Sincere condolences to the Dumouchel family

Richard
topwater
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topwater »

Thanks for the kind words guys , I thought I'd like to share a story from one of my last fishing trips with John . We were going to see if the Crappie had moved onto there winter haunts yet ,well the fishing was tough but we had managed to catch a few crappie .We were moving around and as usuall John was putting on a clinic on how to catch crappie :roll: I don't know how he could do it time after time when were fishing identical rigs but he did :)

Well i was fishing off one little weed and succeeded in catching a couple of crappie. I put on a float and watched it go under repeatedly with no luck in hooking up with anything . John would keep ribbing me "are you going to catch that thing or what :?: " Well after missing it several times I finally said "ok fine get in there and catch that thing" well He was just waiting for that no sooner had his line hit the water than his rod doubled over and this was the result

Fro the rest of the day john would say "you want to show me where some more are " :roll:

I Could go on but it seems My presence is despiratly required at work :x :x
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Sad to hear the bad news.

Wished I'd had the oportunity to know and fish with the gentleman everybody spoke so highly of. :cry:
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I never knew the man or heard of him before but just from the responses here I can tell he would have and was a great ambassador to the sport. Who in their right mind would tell a fellow competitor what the fish were biting. He seems to be a man of many words and ideas. I feel he won't be missed as much as people think...Listen to the stories everyone has of him. How can you miss someone when he leaves a legacy like that. My thought are with the family and all the people who knew of him and knew him personally. But remember this...No one is ever gone away if you have a story to say.
Lonnie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lonnie »

Those pictures of John are worth a thousands words. I have so much to thank John for, I really have a hard time believing he’s gone. He taught me so much in the few years that I’ve known him, and I am truly grateful for all the time we shared … fishing…driving to and from fishing …. and just hanging around talking about fishing. His knowledge and love for the sport was inspirational – he touched many peoples lives (including mine) in such a positive way. He was a remarkably diverse angler, and was particularly proud of a recent trip he took down south fishing for crappies and catfish. There are very few people I know of in Ontario who would book a trip down south to fish for crappies and catfish, and to hear his perspectives from the trip, it made you want to jump in the car and drive down there and do it yourself. It was the same way for carp fishing. Any time a good friend or family member has passed away, the one thing that resonates with me is just how important each of us are in other peoples lives. I consider myself fortunate that John was part of mine!!
Brandon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Brandon »

Reading all the posts from you guys is awesome. It's really cool when I read posts from Mike about the walleye on the crappie rig, and Richard landing a carp after loading up the boat, and Lonnie talk about John's trip down south for crappie and cats, and all the other stories that other have posted.

I say it's cool because John has told me every one of these stories! As each one of these adventures had a place in each of your hearts, I know for sure that they had just as great an impact on John's life too. It is not hard to see that just as these times with John were so special to each of us, they were also so special to John!

Keep the stories coming. It's so fun to hear them!
hawg hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hawg hunter »

my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and although i did not know him the way he touched all your hearts i missed out on meeting one heck of a guy.

God Bless And Rest In Peace

Hawg Hunter
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Gee, I guess today was just not my day to get caught up on my reading.

For the family and friends of John, please accept my condolences.

I think I'd better stop reading for a little now. I don't think I can take any more bad news like this kind.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)