VHF RADIOS

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Thanks Sheldon :)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Jackel wrote:Don,

Not having much luck with your question. :?
I guess suggesting he not waste his money on a handheld unit isn't helping him..... :?
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

It was helpful but the main question was where can I get one around here and possible costs. Anyway thanks for the replies I am sure I will find one somewhere. I will buy a baseunit now if I can install it easily, are they easy to install?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Takes about an hour....piece of cake really....It's too bad LeB's doesnt have em for ya now....because having to buy a Uniden is twice or more than price of a Lowrance or Humminbird...Mail order may be your best bet but that screws ya for this weekend....
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Don,

Le Baron sells a Humminbird handheld VHF for $122.94 plus you get a $20 rebate from humminbird....I will be going there on Saturday so if you want to buy it, I can save you another 7% buy using my Le Baron Club card....

Another great deal is the Lowrance LVR-250 DSC VHF fixed-mount....$134.63 or the Lowrance LRH 20 handheld for $109.76

Here's the pages from the catalogue...

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp08/fi ... ce_xog.pdf

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp08/fi ... rtcast.pdf

Steve
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

hey Don

Was great to meet you last night, along with all the others. I have a handheld you can borrow for the weekend if you want. Takes the urgency of getting the fixed unit bought and installed before the weekend away.

Cheers

Andy
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Thanks guys. Steve I was in to LeBarons last Thursday and they dont have anything left in stock. Andy I will probably take you up on yor offer. I may try to get to the Chandlery if I can tonight.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Badger Shark

I bought my unit at WestMarine here in Kingston. If you are fishing the BOQ and are passing through the area. Maybe on your way home you could stop here and pick one up? They are located at the kingston shopping centre. IF you need any more info just PM me.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

there is anew place tha open last year in gatineau..saw them at the boat show.they had a lot off deferent model and had great price to..will find it..and willlet you no.

there some great link to look around.

http://radioworld.ca/index.php?manufacturers_id=46

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell- ... dZ10182248

even at cabeals.great deal now.and time to get it before the $$ keep going down..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/commo ... stid=81128

joco
Viper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Viper »

Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

I'll bring the handheld to work tomorrow Don....if you want to borrow it, no problem, drop me a PM during the day and we'll figure something out to get it to you. I work in Centrepointe, so not THAT far from Barrhaven

let me know :)

Andy
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Misses Livewell picked me up one of these last year from the Chandlery. Check out the price, you can't miss.

UNIDEN #SOLARA DSC, MOUNTED VHF
On Sale CDN Price: $99.00
Regular Price: $122.85

It is a decent radio, the guys I've chatted with will confirm. At the end of the day though, the biggest factor in transmission and reception quality is the antenna. Get an 8'er if you can squeeze it neatly into your. But go with a 4' if you can't. Try to get it as high as possible.

Good luck.

Bill
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Thanks Bill, those look good. Now if I can just get there.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Well I finally found a vhf radio and a great deal too. Its a Uniden Oceanus DSC series. Regular price 400 buck I got it for 150. Really nice radio. Got an 8ft antennal with chrome and chrome mount to stand up to rough weather and bouncin. Cant wait to install it and try it out.

Thanks for all the help.

And Plowjock thanks for the call. This deal was just to good to pass up. I got it at the Chandlery by the way. Very helpful staff as well.
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

hehehe finally found the place huh Don? thats great that you got such a good deal :)