VHF RADIOS

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

VHF RADIOS

Post by Badger Shark »

Hey guys, I was going to post this in electronics but didnt know if many people would read it or not. My question is where in ottawa can I get decent vhf (handheld) for a decent price? I just want a handheld for this year then I will get a base unit for next year. I want to have one for Quinte since I am down there every week and it would be nice to have one for many reason. The main reason would be to contact others on the water that I know have them instead of using cell phones. I know you need a license too but I just want to get a radio for now.

If anyone has one they want to sell let me know as I would be interested in that way too.

Thanks guys and gals

Don
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dh99 »

I am also in the market for a handheld, My boat is not big enough for one with an antenna.

I am going to the states this weekend and might pick one up there if they are cheap.

My buddy has a hummingbird and likes it.

DH
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

You dont need a license to operate a vhf. But there are rules you need to follow sort of like dailing 911. you need to be carefull and make sure you use the radio with the proper edicate.

When I purchased my fixed unit at westmarine. They really pushed a fixed unit as the range is much better. I bought mine for saftey more so than anything. I must say I have yet to talk to anyone yet. But with a 8ft anttena I can pickup prescott coastguard from the glennora ferry. I use the weather channels most often too.

I found that the fixed units are cheaper as well.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Handhelds are almost useless.....not much better range than the FRS'

Buy a Lowrance or Humminbird fixed unit.....I have the Lowrance with a 3 feet antenna on my boat and have zero issues at all.....

For about 150 ya get the real thing...

DH, I have a 16 footer...tiller motor.....no reason anyone cant mount an antenna....mine is on my bow and I bought the "sailboat" antenna....which makes it completely removable....

RJ
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dh99 »

I will look into it.

I have 16 foot single console, are the units somewhat waterproof?

DH
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I built an aluminum box for around mine....but you must have room on the console for it....

I've yet to meet anyone who "likes" their handheld...
patience
Participant
Participant

Post by patience »

I would highly recommend going with something " not handheld". In my experience they don't have range.You lose touch if there is an island or what have you .Go with the base unit and high antenna.If your gonna spend the money , spend it once , and for the chap who thinks his boat is too small for a whip, reconsider, there's always a way. If your gonna play on big water, play safe. A radio is more than just chattin with other fishermen/ people
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

1lastcast wrote:You dont need a license to operate a vhf.
You do need a ROC License - Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Certificate (ROC Maritime) to operate a Marine VHF Radio in Canada.

http://www.cps-ecp.ca/?WCE=C=47%7CK=224641

-s
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Superdad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Thanks Sheldon

Post by Superdad »

Thanks for clarifying the requirement of an ROC license to operate a VHF radio in Canada.

They'll probably never arrest you if you did, BUT they could.........

It's a three night course thru CPSS offered in the winter when you won;t be using it.

A small radio on the boat(not handheld) and a three foot aerial and away you go - call everyone on the water who has a radio and not an FRS.

If you EVER have a major problem... VHF will get attention.

Try calling the police on a cell phone and try and explain where you are.... There were three hunters a number of years ago off Wolfe Is and they called on their cellphone and the cops had no idea where they were and they didn't make it.

Just my .02

Monitoring CH 72

David aka Superdad
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

I appreciate the responses thanks but no one answered my question on where to get something around here not to expensive and maybe some price ideas or links. I want to find on before this weekend if possible.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Please tell me what this means? A station licence is not required for Canadian boaters in Canadian waters

Im understand this as not requiring a ROC licence as long as you stay in canadian waters?
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

1lastcast wrote:Please tell me what this means? A station licence is not required for Canadian boaters in Canadian waters

Im understand this as not requiring a ROC licence as long as you stay in canadian waters?
I will try to explain this in a simple way. Previous to the ROC you needed to have a station License to purchase or own a VHF Marine radio. It was a difficult process to manage so the Government introduced the operator certificate - you need a certificate to operate a marine VHF radio in Canada.

-sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Thanks Sheldon

Post by eye-tracker »

Superdad wrote:Try calling the police on a cell phone and try and explain where you are....
*16 on your cell phone will place you in contact with the Coast Guard
Always try to make a detailed description of your vessel and location when making a Distress call on the VHF or Cell Phone.

-s
Sheldon Hatch
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Where to get a license in Ottawa. Next course start Nov 19 and I'm taking it.

http://www.cps-ottawa.com/courses.html

Where to get a radio in Ottawa - The Chandlery (search in Electronics).

http://www.thechandleryonline.com/

Bill
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

Don,

Not having much luck with your question. :?

I'll give you a call and we'll discuss. :)

Al.