Calabogie trout lakes

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

update

Post by Buzzer »

Was out Friday afternoon/evening nothing and this afternoon/evening. Scully and Shiner lakes.

Caught two nice specs 2lbs 15 1/2 inches and just under 2 lbs 14 1/2 inches at Scully mid afternoon. The bite stopped at around 4:30 pm.

It seems for me that all the biting has been mid afternoon for the last 3 days. Not a nibble in the evening.

As I love the taste of specs I found that they're just stuffed with mosquito larvae... guess I'm going to have to learn how to fly fish!

Buzzer
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Well We got skunked on Sat. Did'nt fish any lakes. we tried the streams and not a bite. Will try next weekend.

Dave
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I’ve been skunked 2 weekends in a row and the scary thing is, there’s not two without three.
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

SAT was our third outting. The streams were still high and the surrounding land was wet, soggy and made it difficult to access the streams. How is the fishing on the lakes right now? Are you fishing from shore or what? Let me know!

Dave
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Buzzer »

Hi Basstalker:

I've been fishing from shore. Shiner/Barry/Scully Lakes. Made a quick trip to the Twin and Little Twooey too.

Found they're biting mid afternoon. Haven't been out early in the morning though. Nothing in the evening, not a bite.

Buzzer
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Buzzer,

YA I am usualy out in the mid afternoon and nothing. I guess my next outing will have to be at one of the lakes because the streams aint producing yet! What are you using for bait? I'm using worms.

Dave
New Kid
Participant
Participant

Post by New Kid »

Fished green lake and peterwhite lake today and got skunked. Anyone had any luck at gren lake yet?
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I was there 2 weeks ago and nada. At least I feel better now :lol:
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Buzzer »

Most of the Brookies I've caught, all this year including one bow, have been on a Blue Fox Vibrax lure with the feathers on the treble hook. I swear by them

I've tried lots and lots of presentations but the Blue Fox Vibrax lure, (one with a minnow head with a spoon that clanks on it is the best!!!) Tipped with a worm on the treble hook of course! They come in different sizes and colors and I have them all... best of all you can get them for under $3.00 at most stores Some are labeled "deep runner" and others "Shallow Runner". The deep runner one has been working this year and i think it's because the trout are feeding on mosquito larvae on the bottom and my lure just p&ss#d them off

Usually within the next few weeks the deep runners will stop working and the larger shallow runner Blue Fox Vibrax lure will work the best... of course tipped with a worm on the treble hook.

If all this fails the bobber and worm works well...

Buzzer

P.S. Tried corn, minnows and many other types of lures.... but for me all that works is mentioned above! Now if you all start using this I'm going to have to try something new again for sure ;o)
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Steams?

Post by Buzzer »

Oh.. by the way.

Where are the streams that you can fish for trout found? I've only spent time at the lakes...

Plan on trying fly fishing and I've heard that streams are the place to go...

Any directions? Feel free to PM me...

Thanks, Buzzer
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Poole creek right there in stitzville is stocked annually with browns. I have no idea why they stock a 4 ft wide creek but they do.

1999- 2002, 500 each year and 400 last year.
Cyress
Participant
Participant

Post by Cyress »

I was up on saturday in the Barry lake area and I have a truck so I drove in to the lakes further in. I also fished shiner. I used a flyrod and worm and bobber and some small plastic jigs. 3 friends with 3 different approaches. My fly rod was the only one who turned anything up and believe me it was not impressive. A bunch of 4 inch baitfish of some kind kept hitting my dropper fly. But there was tons of baitfish activity and life. Very encouraging. And on Barry we saw a nice spec but it was super lethargic and did not respond to my best efforts. I think they may be becoming active more now. No ice anywhere on any of the lakes so I think you can start heading anywhere now.

I fished one stream near shiner I believe, is was near Black Donald Lake, it looked trouty but I turned up nothing. And I stumbled across a scary looking hunting club with shells everywhere along the river and a whole lot of bones so I was a bit turned off.

I would be much obliged if anyone could point me to a stream or two to fish for trout semi locally, I have been searching for such a thing for a long time. I am strictly C and R. I got plenty of spots to share on the NY State side if anyone is interested??

I think they stopped stocking Poole Creek, and regardless it is very tough fishing. I have hooked a couple over the last number of years but no success. It used to be a great chub and shiner fishery, lots of fun.
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

Fished Scully and Shiner last Sunday and yesterday. The total
is one 17" spec (that was a big surprize for me) and three 14"
rainbows. Also hooked several smallmouth (Scully). All taken on
flyes - black TDC midges size 18 - fished near the bottom.
Generally fishing is quite slow.
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

Cyress:
You can try upper part of Black Donald Creek - it crosses HW 41
between Tooeys and Tween Lakes. The creek has some small brook
trout, although it is very tough to fish with a fly rod.
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

Just one question, are these lakes open for ice-fishing?? Might be a bit early to start asking these questions but since all the connaisseurs are all united, might be a nice option to consider.